Shadows Home Thread If no one minds ;P

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entropian and ectropian are defects in theeyelid that can cause scarring of the cornea that may lead to permanentblindness from infection. We used to see it commonly in theHollands, however, strict culling has made the condition far lesscommon. The defect in the eyelid isn't always obvious, butthe effects of the defect may be noticed when a hazy area on the corneais observed.

The eyelid itself may just have a small "v" in it or the entire eyelid may actually be turned inward or outward.

The condition may be surgically corrected, and those animals should never be used for show/breeding.

Pam

Thank You Pam , I appreciate it,Bottom lid is definately prtruding outward, top lid looks like in maybe inverted toward the eye. poor baby ,, her eye is very messed up andHas a vet appointment on Monday.
Most definately She will never be brednor Shown , the rest of the litter will alsobe altered and never shown,
Pam this is genetic correct ,? Mother has had alitter before and this hasnt been an issue , Is this a genticproblem for the Buck? and should he be altered also?

Thanks Doc Nock I appriciate theresponse...Little bits is doing better this morning, I did her with theeye meds that mom gave me this morning. I am curious though is itpossably something that the mom might carry. Even though she has neverthrown it before now I read some where that they can throw a 100litters and not have one then on the 101'st litter throw a litter thathas 1+ with the inverted eyelid. Just curious as to how that works ifyou know. Thanks for any info that you can give me on this as I am at atotal loss.

At this point, not even the genetisists knowexcept that it is most likely multifactoral polygenic (many factors andgenes involved).

Pam

To be safe, many breeders do not use the two animals that have produced an offspring with defective eyelids.

Pam

Shadow, I'm glad Lil Bit is feelingbetter this morning. Such a sweet baby. Give her lots of cuddles fromme and I am still thinking and praying for you both.

Tina

Awww thanks Tina... Well I called the Vet thismorning and she cant be seen till monday, but she is going in on mondayto have that eye looked at. I am also gonna be picking the dr's brainas to how much its gonna cost, and what I can do to keep hercomfy the whole 9 just to make sure no more damage is done.

Poor Punkin. :sad:

She and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Thanks carolyn she needs all the prayer she canget at this point.. I would have liked to get her in sooner but thebunny vet isnt in till monday :( But they said I was doing the rightthing by flushing it with warm salt water and to keep using the eyemeds till monday as it will keep it lubracated and what not.

Also how come the site is so laggy today, it takes 5 mins for one page to load or is it just on my end??

shadow10978 wrote:
Also how come the site is so laggy today, it takes 5 minsfor one page to load or is it just on my end??

I'm noticing that - not just on this forum, but on the web in general. I also thought it was my system.

:dunno:

She and you have my thoughts and prayers, Shadow. She's soprecious. I hate to hear things like this. You'dthink that after a while I'd be able to adjust to such things, but Idon't. It breaks my heart every time. I don't knowhow breeders do it.

-Carolyn

Im not sure either, I know most breeders wouldsay put her down as she is "useless" but you know what I dont care howmuch I have to spend, she has weasled her way into our hearts and sheisnt going anywhere cause the ol man even fell in love with her...Although I think it has something to do with the 20 minutes of groomingthat she bestowed upon him her 3rd night here lol.

She is doing good, the eye meds PGG told meabout is helping tremendously... Although its gonna cost me about450.00 o get the surgery done :( And i am not sure where i amgonna come up with the money for it.

i hear you on this one. my auto insurance justdoubled cause i moved into the city, and my car died last week costing$500. i live on my own and have a low-end job. my mum helped me withthe $500, i have to pay her back of course.

do you think the little one can hang on with the meds for a while? maybe the vet can do a payment plan.

Back