Sebastian is sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
I noticed yesterdaythat Sebastian seemed a bit out of sorts. His poops always are on thesmall side but they were smaller and darker. I picked up some freshpineapple and gave him some and also gave him some extra oats. I calledCarolyn last night to double check on how much of everything to givehim. I wasn't too worried as he was still eating, drinking, pooping andpeeing. I did give him some pineapple juice, carrot tops, oats...stuffto make sure he'd keep eating. Things were pretty much the same thismorning. I gave him canned pumpkin and pineapple juice. He wasn't ahappy camper. He doesn't really fight me a lot. It's not really in hisnature. But it makes me sad. He trusts me and I can tell this frightenshim and makes him feel unsafe. As the day has gone on I can see himdeclining. He isn't as active. He hasn't pooped since 10:30, I haven'tseen him drink, and he's mad at me. I gave him another treatment at2:30. After reviewing what Carolyn went through with Tucker ande-mailing Pamnock I think I will begin Nutri Cal also for it's healingproperties. I'm fairly sure this is fur related. I brush him every dayand still get tons of wool off of him. Keep us in your thoughts andprayers.

Raspberry

Tis the season -- with all these weatherchanges. People and bunnies are sick (my husband has a reallybad cold -- I've had something for a couple weeks and feel like crap).

I am looking forward to hearing by the end of the week than Sebastian is back to his old self.

Pam

Time to start the treatments every 4 hours, Raspberry.

Will call you, and of course, pray for you.

Love,
-Carolyn

Just talked toCarolyn and got him out of his cage to run around with the kids and tryto get his digestive system moving. When I put him back he had three ofthose real soft, stinky poops that he ate...surely that's better thannothing, right? Headed to the store for more treatmentstuff...

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Raspberry

Aww dear Raspberry, I will definately be keepinglittle Sebastian in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he starts to take aturn for the better ASAP!

Shannon

That is good that his bowels are working. Keep doing what you are doing and see how he does.

Ed

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Just talked to Carolyn and gothim out of his cage to run around with the kids and try to get hisdigestive system moving. When I put him back he had three of those realsoft, stinky poops that he ate...surely that's better than nothing,right? Headed to the store for more treatment stuff...

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Raspberry

That's good news -- but keep an eye on him.I believe Tuckerhad more cecal droppings than usual before he went into stasis.

Pam

And you say your memory is shot, Pam! N O T!

Hmmph!

You're exactly right, Tucker did have more cecotropes.

I spoke to Raspberry Swirl and she didn't notice an increase incecotropes, but she did say mention the runny stools above. It wascecotropes forming as diarrhea because Sebastian ate some, but theydidn't have their grapelike shape, so it fooled Raspberry. It was alsosmelly, as the diarrhea gets.

At around 6:30 tonight, Sebastian had about 15 poops - all small - all black.

She's treating him with 3 ccs of fresh pineapple juice, 3 ccs of cannedpumpkin, and an eye dropper full of Pedialyte and 1/2 inch of NutriCal.She was going to mash up a papaya pill and mix it in the syringe ofcanned pumpkin.

-Carolyn

Well,hehad another 15-20 poops. I feel silly counting bunny poop!:?They were also hard, dry, and dark. As Carolyn told you Idid the treatment and that was around 8 pm.Boy was he tickedoff, BIG TIME when I put that nutri cal on his paws. He thumped like hehas never thumped when he got back into his cage. Mad, mad, mad was he!He spent the next few minutes licking it off, which is the point ofcourse.:XHe is nibbling on hay. Still hasn't drankanything though. I'll be doing it again in 4 hours.

Raspberry

Well at least he seems to still be moving thingsthrough. We are on the digestive tract in anatomy right now andalthough I know that our intestinal tracts differ if something isgetting through that has to be good news. Hope there are lots morewhere those came from.

I was thinking, with the water part, is there a chance that he isn'tdrinking because you are keeping him hydrated with other liquids? Justa thought.

Fergi's mom

That's what mythoughts are also. He's had a lot of pineapple juice today, and thereis liquid in that pumpkin. Much more than he would typically get in hisnormal diet. Then with the pedialyte also, I think he's had plenty offluids.

Raspberry

Just got in from a trip and read that Sebastianis ailing, or possibly on the mend. I do hope it is thelatter. They're like children, only they can't tell you whenit hurts.

You seem to be doing all the right things. Praying here at this end, too.

Buck

Something is movingin there. A bunch more tiny, hard, black poops just camethrough. They aren't changing at all. That concerns me. Iwish they would start showing signs of some of this hair breaking up.There are absolutely no stringers, no hairs at all. He won't eatanythingexcept his hay but at least he is still eating that.He is also moving around. Not laying around as much as he was earliertoday.

Raspberry

I hope he gets better soon!!! Poor baby!! Plus you and the whole family must be really worried.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back