Scraped chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a very clean bun, no poo around his bum at all, and this is definitely not urine related, so not related to his injury? Or maybe they might be? Maybe he chewed himself because he was being tickled?

Why didn't I notice this sooner. I'm failing him,and if i'm failing him, I'm failing them all.

Oh Whew!

I think most rabbits have pinworms. Not a lot of other worms that are much of a problem from what I remember.

Chances are excellent this is an easy fix. I'll see what's in the Library.

How's his little boy bit? (Ouch!)

sas

Flashy, stay calm, you're not failing him... and you're not failing yourself... Take deep breaths.

Worms can easily be treated. The vet can do it. It canhappen. If he hurt his penis, I'd assume he was fighting with Dusk. They are getting to that age. Stay calm and let the vet look at him.

Thank you both.

Pipp, his boy bit looks like he has nibbled it, it looks sore, but not infected, it looks clean and he is weeing, eating, and doing normal things.

Blue giant, thank you. If the vet can treat him, is it sensible to get all my other buns to the vets for the treatment too? They spend a lot of time around each other, in runs the other has been in (swept yes, but not totally clean until I scrub them down).

These two are very loved up. When Angel foguth Lightning, Lightning hid and became very scared, he is still very confident nd sticking close with Dusk so I don't think anything has gone on at all between the two of them, unless Dusk had a 'munch' if Lightning humped him the wrong way round (but knowing where the injury is it exlpains why it was all on Dusk).

I tell you, tryingto put your makeup on whilst you'[re bawling your eyes out is no mean feat, lol.

You're doing the right thing to get him looked at by the vet. Pin worms are nothing to worry about as long as you get them treated. Ask the vet if you should treat all of them. Dusk may need to be treated since they live together. You may need to scrub down their runs a bit and make sure they're really clean so they don't reinfect themselves.

AS far as his chin, the vet can give you a cream or ointment to prevent infection. Neutering the boys would probably be a good idea in the next few weeks. Keep in mind that it can take several weeks for the hormone levels to drop, so you may need to keep an eye on them.

You are doing great, taking such good care of them. Don't ever think you can't come here for help. We all love our bunnies and know exactly what you are dealing with.

Edited for spelling... sorry.

Ok, I've been and come back.

He said the chin was healing nicely (despite Lightning catching himself while we were there with his nail). He said the other bit loked very sore and swollen, but that it should get better from hereon in.

I've got to bathe him (chin and bits) twice daily and give him metacam once a day for a week (this did concern me because I remember Randy saying it can damage the liver if you give it for more than a couple of days) to reduce his swelling down there.

I've got Panacur for him and Dusk, and we'll treat everyone else if a problem shows itself in anyone else. He said it was clearly very early days for these worms because there are not many, so hopefully that is that (doubt it though, lol). Helpfully, but totally unrelatedly I scrubbed down the patio and everything last night so that was good timing most definitely on my part. I'm going to try to feed the Panacur on their favourtie foods as opposed to from the syringy thing because syringes stress me out so much and that will convey to the buns.

He mentioned getting him neutered. If I have to, it throws everything into space again and I have no idea what I would do if I did have to get him neutered (RE his brothers because him, Dusk and Angel were the ones I was going to keep intact for breeding in the future).

I've got to take him back in a week, but sooner if anything looks worse. He didn't want to just give him anti-biotics as a preventative because he doesn't want to upset his gut, cause diarrhoea and make everything sorer and more painful.

Thanks you Pipp and Blue Giants for replying, it means a lot :)

And in the depths of my not so big crisis, what do I do? Feel the need to flirt with the vet. Oh yes. I couldn't help it, he was really fit. Shame on me.

Flashy, you remind me of me when I had my first child. I can't stand when a baby - human or bunnies - hurts, gets sick, etc. I want to fix them!

You're a great bunny mom. You notice, get help if you need it and I know your heart is filled with love for them.

I'm so glad you got him to the vet. Poor widdle bits hurts!

I think it's because I've lost so many recently that I'm hyper scared, lol, I just want everyone to be ok.

Thank you :)

You are are a great bunny mom! You caught the problems early, no infections, easily fixed! Lightening is going to be fine. Sounds like you have a great vet! Pretty smart not to insist on Antibiotics. Follow his advice and let us know how things go.

Flashy wrote:
I think it's because I've lost so many recently that I'm hyper scared, lol, I just want everyone to be ok.

Thank you :)

If I had the things happen like you - I think I'd be putting those furry little buggers in padded and 24 hour supervised rooms! I would be frantic!

Do you have a camera? to get photos? :biggrin2:

Yup :D I'm a photo nut. I have at least 4000 or so of my buns from the past two and a half years. I need them pictures to remember them because when they go I seem to forget everything. Pictures are a very valuable tool :)

I used to put some ofthem in a blog, now I just keep them on my computer and show the occasional one/few to people.

I've just freaked my mum out by telling her about worms all over her carpet :shock:

Ok, I was scared before because I didn't know, now I'm scared because I do.

Do these things (which after research I agree that they are pinworms) have complications? Some of the sites I've looked at seem to say they do, past the weight loss in extreme cases. Does anyone have any personal (or ratehr rabbit) experience?

I've been googling about, but I can't find anything useful that tells me anything about the life cycle, or about how they get infected in the first place outside of eating their own infected faeces. Does anyone know any useful info? Or any useful sites?

Sorry for being a pain.

I believe Nadia (username HoneyPot) battled pin worms in her bun Charlie (I might have got that name wrong...) and she had a bit of a difficult time getting rid of them. No health complications, but she had to treat multiple times to get rid of the worms.

You could try PM her and asking her what she had to do to get rid of pinworms?

--Dawn

Flashy wrote:
I've got to bathe him (chin and bits) twice daily and give him metacam once a day for a week (this did concern me because I remember Randy saying it can damage the liver if you give it for more than a couple of days) to reduce his swelling down there.
I wouldnt worry. Max was on Metacam for months and he's alright. One week should be just fine.

Flashy wrote:
And in the depths of my not so big crisis, what do I do? Feel the need to flirt with the vet. Oh yes. I couldn't help it, he was really fit. Shame on me.
hehe. good for you! Ive always thought it would be a godsend to date a vet!

And Ive been doing some research on pinworms (after realizing we dont have much in the library on parasites). I wouldnt worry- it sounds like its not a big deal if its being treated. And just to put your mom's mind at ease, heres one that states its not contaigious to other animals or people:

"The rabbit pinworm Passalurus abiguus can sometimes be seen in the fresh feces (apx. 3/16-inch long, whitish)."

"While observing wriggling worms in your bunny's poop might be disturbing, these actually do not cause a problem for the rabbit, and are treated more for aesthetic reasons. All of these parasites are easily treated with deworming medications. Luckily, even if a human were unfortunate enough to be eating bunny poop full of parasite eggs, none of these parasites can infect humans."

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/parasites.shtml

Sounds like youre doing everything right. :)

Thanks Haley :)

I did find that site, and you are right, those things are very reassuring. Thank you.

Sky has them too. I'm really quite demoralised, if I'm honest. They deserve better than me.

I will get stuff to treat them all tomorrow, but even if I treat them, presumably it won't eradicate them anyway.

Urgh, I sort of feel 'what's the point in it' but I know what the point is really.

Oh hun, dont beat yourself up. I know two other awesome bunny slaves who have had this same problem even with keeping their bunnys indoors and in a pristine environment. Sometimes we just have to do the best we can.

:hug:

Thanks. I guess I will always feel I let them down no matter what I do, and things like this just heighten that feeling. I do get what you are saying though, so thank you.

It will be fine. Don't be so hard on yourself.We all have things that happen. Just be glad you caught it!

Latest posts

Back