Scraped chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't particularly feel I should be here, but I have a small issue in the shape of my Lightning bunny.

When I got him in from the run he had blood all over him, as did Dusk (his bonded brother) as did the run. It was over his nose, chin, in between his legs, all over both their feet and Dusk's tail. On closer inspection it showed that it was something on Lightning, initially I thought it was a nail but wasn't sure. So I boiled some water and cooled it added a small amount of salt and bathed his nail and chin.

This showed it was his chin (as in where they mark) as opposed to his nail because it started to bleed again.

I have bathed it (I used cooled boiled water and salt because I didn't know what else to use) and will probably keep doing so, but I'm worried incase maybe he has a splinter or something like that. He is a wrigglebum and won't let me see much of anything, although in a bit I'm going to try looking with a mirror.

He is comfortable and has been stuffing his face, he feels nice and warm (as in not in shock) and until I stressed him out with bathing him he was pottering around (now he's lying down and calming down).

Can anyone suggest anything else I need to do? I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on him and such like, but any ideas?

It's so ironic, we celebrated their dad's birthday today and them reaching four months, and now this happens. I knew it was too good to be true. I already have it in my head he will die. Please help me help my guy.

(edit, I didn't mean 'Scrapped chin' as the title I was going for 'Scraped chin' *curses fingers*)

Maybe he caught it on something trace, is there anything sharp in therun.

what have you got in the house maybe a bit of savlon as it shouldn't bother him even if he gets it on his paws and licks it off (just alittle bit) not sure what else he should be ok though just keep as much of an eye on it as poss

Flashy wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't particularly feel I should be here, but I have a small issue in the shape of my Lightning bunny.

First off, you very much do belong here! If you aren't here the ideas, thoughts, questions and education we all try to share - fails where you are! Infact, I would never have thought to boil water first! and that's an excellent idea since I have well-water! So you have just helped me! Thank you!

Now, for Scrapey chin Lightning.

Is it still bleeding? did you look around the run to see if he cut it on something (then you can fix that also - horses do that all the time!) Maybe some hair or something on a piece of wood? or fence?

Do you have any antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or Bacitracin? without the pain relief tho.

Thanks guys.

I don't have any Savlon Polly, but, like you just suggested, I do have that cream, so I will use that (and reply to your e-mail in a tad).

Bo B, thanks for the reply, I really don't feel right being here, but I know that is my issue and not anything anyone has done. I don't really know much about buns though, I'm just good at regurgitating info from others (a semi photographic memory can be very helpful, lol).

It's not still bleeding, and after I bathed it it stopped bleeding very quickly. It was dark, but I had the best look arund the run I could. I can't see anything he has caught it on, but most of the blood seems to be round a rough piece of patio, so maybe he marked it and scraped it? They are both not fixed so lots of marking happens and they do it everywhere, so that's possible. I'll have a better look in the morning though.

I have no idea what neosporin or bacitracin is, so I have to say no, I don't have either of those. I don't think they have those over here (in the UK, sorry, I took out all my personal info in my profile including my location), or if they do, it's by another name.

He has been stuffing his face again. I haven't seen him eat any hay,but he was eating lots of pellets so I have given him lots more than usual so that if he can't eat hay, he can eat those (and so can little piggy Dusk). He's fine in himself at the mo, I just don't want infection to set in, infact, after Flash, I'm terrified of infection setting in. It's already triggered Flashbacks, he just HAS to be ok. I need him to.

That is an antibiotic ointment like a salve or cream that's safe for them.

Sounds like he might have "chinned" something and got a little cut. Just watch it and get something like I mention if you don't have any. I don't know what happened before so I'm not sure what your flashbacks are.

Please consider just hanging out and chatting a bit. We're all different and it doesn't matter - I'm a 43 year old country mom in the U.S., there's kids with multi-colored hair, families,breeders, whatever here and I think we all have those moments we feel we don't belong. Boy have I!!!

I know nothing about your bunnies but it sounds like you have some BABIES! which I adore. Ok, I adore them all so that's a given but I love hearing about how they came to you and things.

I seriously enjoy everyone here and their bunny stories and information. You do sound intelligent and kind. That's more than most people around the world can do!

Bunny people tend to be more sensitive I think. I know I feel for each of the people and bunnies who have injuries and illness. It doesn't matter who or where they are... they mean something to me.

So now you mean something to me since I've talked to you..... you have to stick around !!! :biggrin2::hugs:

Aw, thanks you. I have put some cream on him for scrapes and it's specifically for rabbits so I'll keep putting that on. When I did that I was able to see what it was and it looks like a small puncture wound.

The Flashbacks are from my Flash. Flash was Lightning's grandaddy, he was my soulmate and when he died part of me went with him. He died due to my error, yet an error that I would NEVER have dreamed of (a cat climbed into his hutch, and he had never ever done that before). I get flashbacks of force feeding him before he died (so I really struggle if I do ever have to syringe feed anyone), when he died, how he looked, and how he felt (I wouldn't let go of him until a few hours after he died and after rigor mortis had set in). Whenever any bunny gets ill the flashbacks come back and make things worse, I just need my Lightning to be ok.

Thanks you very much for your comments (they were very right to make you a mod, glad to see you on that team). I don't have babies anymore, they are now 4 months old and a bunch of chaos creators.

I think I just hi-jacked my own thread, lol. Thank you Bo B.

LOL! You did, but it's good to talk about that stuff.

I helped to put down a cat of mine that was 14 years old just this past spring. It was so hard and I am tearing up right now thinking of it.

Prissy was ill, we took really good care of her injuries and infections.... she had gotten her toes cut off in a car engine. After all the care and stuff, she got so much better and was playing - and had a stroke.

When I took her to be put down, she wouldn't let go. She was known for purring all the time very loudly. The vet's office LOVED her and couldn't believe how well she had done. She even purred when they had to do painful things to her. She loved people and always had.

She purred as we put the medicine in. It was after hours and my vet came in for me.

Her heart was so strong she purred and purred softly and finally the vet had to do a direct cardiac injection to help her go.

I had to clean her up and help put her in a thing to bring her home. I know that feeling of their body after they pass. The weight, and ...... it's all too fresh. I can so sympathize and understand your loss and pain.

I'm so sorry for your loss and sorry you had to go through that, I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for you :( I don't know what to say, sorry (that doesn't happen often).

Thanks!

you know what tho? Prissy had become deaf and was an outside cat by choice - she wouldn't stay in. She lived all those years at my house and terrorizing the neighborhood birds! She outlived her kittens and because she got hurt, we had her in our house for over a month and she got spoiled rotten! we loved it and she loved it so it was a very very special time and we feel blessed with that.

My daughter took on a lot of the cleaning up of her wounds. She's going to be 12 and wants to be a vet. It was a wonderful experience for her and she's very proud to have cared so well for Prissy. She knows that it was her getting better that actually caused her stroke but it's not a bad thing that she was that well. (I have really hijacked your thread now oh dear! LOL)

Now, keep us posted on little lightning! he sounds like a handful! I love those kind!

It's such a bittersweet thing when something like that brings you so close. Your daughter sounds truly amazing, good on her, and good on you for raising such a caring girl.

It doesn't matter if you hi-jack my thread, lol. I sort of feel I have gotten all the help so I have done all I can, I do still expect him to die, but I know if he does I have tried my hardest and done my best. That sounds like I've given up on him, btu in recent years things have gone very wrong here and they seem to die in circumstances when they shouldn't. Shame he isn't one of the buns from my room, becuase I'm going to be getting up and going outside into the cooooooooool several times tonight, lol.

If he dies it will be so ironic. 7 kits to a nethie, none dying until after they have 'survived' and reached 4 months. Sounds about right that someone would go now. :/ Ironically I'm not a pessimist.

Oh, and thanks to whoever edited the title :)

aww Flashy you should always feel welcome here. You're too modest, you've always been such a big help.

How is lightening doing today? I would just keep it flushed out, which it sounds like you are doing, with sterile water or saline> Putting some neosporin on it should help too.

Has he let you get close so you can make sure theres not anything like a splinter in there?

It will all be ok, we're here for you hun :hug:

Thankas for the rekly. (osrry, my typing is going to be awful).

I went and checked lihghtning svereal times in the ngith and he was perky, which I wasn pleaser with.

I came down thia miorning and mum told me hre had been bleeidng in the night and there qsa a bit of bloodf in the bhtuch (not laods though). so i removed all the touyys he might scrap his chin on out of the hutch and just elft smooth thigns in there (stupif me didn't do that the night ebforfe).

I brought them both in, checked them bth voer (still aware that there was a teeny chance this could be down to fighitng) but there was njothing on eitherof them other than Lightning's neck, so I bathed it again adn we put some cream on it.

I have not been able to have a really close look, but i have seen a bit on the mirror, and it looks like a tiny puncture wqound. he doesn't like tpo be messed with at the best of times (he's FAr more intersted in running anruond and causing chaos) so seeing his neck up close is a feat nearly impossible.

He's stuffed his face today, and seems totally fgind in hismelf. Later though, i noticed more fresh bloof in tteh cage, sop i hoiked him out thinking that he was scratching his chin and i was going to blunt his naisl (they are still very baby sharp) and he does appear to have a torn nail. He's a digger, so I'm guessing the blood has been comking from thast nail beciuase his chin looks really good today.

i can't iumahgine what he must ahve done, all i can think is maybe he caught his nail somewhere and tried to bite his way out, ctahijng his chin too. can't see where he did it though. When Lightning had problems with Angel he lost all his confidence and wouldn't come out of the bed arera, so i knwo that if there were probnlemt betseen him and dusk then he would be behaving differently, but they are very close, the only person he runs form now is me :(

but aside from all that, he is being bathed regularly and having cream put on, he's perky, eating, drinking and being his usual chaodtic self. he's not going to be going in an outside run for a whil though, i've got one set up in the iving room for them tomorrow so hopefully that will be ok.

And i must say a big thanks to polly who really helped me last ngiht, probably more ethan she realises :)

oh, and being a big help and feeling I should be here are very different feeling,s but very much itnertwqinedf.

PS- i am really saortry about my tyupinf.

I'm glad he's doing well. Sounds like he's done a couple of things. I wonder if he broke that nail WHILE scratchng his chin and punctured it?

oh hell.

It was only ever minor on his chin, he hasn't hrut his nail. Now I understand, he's damaged his penis. Don't know if he humped Dusk and Dusk bit it or what. I can't believe I missed it.

Idon't have a clue what to do about this, vets I suppose. Crap.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NOW i'VE FOUND BLOODY WORMS! WHAT THE HELL IS GOINFG ON:in tears:

Just clean up everything as best you can, do some trimming... get an assessment.

And try and stay calm, you dont' want to stress him outany more than he alreadyis.

sas

No, it looks nothing like the flystrike stuff I have read/seen. They are coming out in his poo. They are thin at each end and thicker in the middle.

I have a vets appoint in a hour.

What do I have to do for worms, with regards to my home, their home, the toys, the run, any communal space? Quarantine? Presumably I havee to treat the whole bloody lot? They ahve running around our living room. Are we going to be infested?

This is really freaking me out. I knew things were going too well. Please help me. My god, that soudns really patheitc but I can't think straighht.

Latest posts

Back