Scone MacBunny - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so surprised to hear that they can't find anything wrong with Scone. With such behavior changes, it would be nice to find out what sets him off into being a bit more reclusive. I should assume they checked his teeth since it sounds like they are a very thorough facility.

One time I noticed that my Patrick wasn't eating his salad at night, so I gave him a night-light. I kind of thought that at his age, seven years old, maybe his eyesight is giving him troubles. Even with his lack of teeth, he eats most of his veggies now with his night-light on. If I forget to turn it on, most veggies are left in the spot where I put them in his cage.

Just thoughts....

myheart

kirbyultra wrote:
Mr. Patrick cannot see his veggies?

I don't think it's an issue of seeing his veggies. I think he is more comfortable seeing his surroundings with some light at his cage-level. As we age, the lens tissues age also. Not necessarily cataracts or anything, just aging with fogginess. Ever look into the eyes of an older dog or cat and notice the blue cast that is in the pupil area? That is the lens tissue aging with a bit of fogginess and sometimes they see better with dim lighting.

myheart

Elf Mommy wrote:
My husband told me to tell you that Scone is a very handsome looking rabbit. He has such a dignified air to him.
He does have a certain dignity - I keep thinking about the description of Uncle Wiggly from my childhood reading, "the nice old gentleman rabbit".

With such behavior changes, it would be nice to find out what sets him off into being a bit more reclusive. I should assume they checked his teeth since it sounds like they are a very thorough facility.
The Cornell clinic did check Scone's teeth, and they're fine. There wasn't anything obvious wrong.

I'm wondering if he's starting to develop some joint pain, as he's less eager to jump up on my bed and recliner. He's still active, and I haven't seen any signs of pain, but he's getting on in years - seven rabbit years is 57 human years, which happens to be exactly my age. My joints hurt sometimes, so maybe his do. I hadn't thought about his eyesight, but he seems to get around just fine after I turn out the light at night. I often go to sleep by the sound of Scone tearing up his magazines under my night table.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I was just writing some checks to get in the mail on Monday and started writing out your check to Scone, lol. He doesn't have his own account yet, does he?

Not to hijack the thread, but Patti while your writing checks, I can pm you my address...;)

I am glad he's doing ok.

kirbyultra wrote:
"The nice old gentleman rabbit" sounds like a perfect description of Scone :) He always looks so dignified. I can picture him with reading glasses photoshopped on :)
Hmmm.... so can I...

scone_4835-glasses.jpg

Pipp wrote:
I do worry about him when he's 'off', though. Has he had a full set of xrays done lately?
Actually, he's never had a set of x-rays. The vet didn't want to anesthetize him if he didn't absolutely have to. Since he'd started eating again, they felt the risk wasn't justified.

MikeScone wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
"The nice old gentleman rabbit" sounds like a perfect description of Scone :) He always looks so dignified. I can picture him with reading glasses photoshopped on :)
Hmmm.... so can I...

scone_4835-glasses.jpg
:roflmao:Great job! LOL! This is exactly how I pictured it too.

Elf Mommy wrote:
My students want to know how old Scone is.
As Scone is a pet shop bunny, we can never be really sure when he was born. He came to live with us April 4, 2003, so I have considered February 1, 2003, to be his birthday. That would make him just short of seven years old.

I haven't had much time to take pictures of Scone lately, and with his medical problems he hasn't really been in a mood to be photogenic (see the "worried about Scone" thread in the Infirmary for details).

I think the Adequan is helping his back pain somewhat, but he still is less eager to jump up on things. I've been trying to think of things I can do to help him to regain some of his desire for high places without unduly bothering his back (and, OK, I miss his jumping into bed with me morning and evening). So, I built Scone a bed ramp:
ramp_4839.jpg

It's made of 1"x8" pine shelving, with an old terry-cloth towel covering the ramp and platform, stapled underneath. There's a piece of shelving which goes cross-ways between the mattress and boxspring to stabilize the ramp (you can see the end underneath the brace for the platform).

After I gave Scone his Adequan shot this afternoon, I carried him into the bedroom and put him down at the foot of the ramp. He got the idea immediately and hopped up the ramp and onto the bed. Success!

What a great idea Mike!! I bet Scone really appreciates your efforts to make him comfortable and to keep all of the usual routines in order. Sounds like he is a professional at his new ramp already.

Sending lots of hugs and cuddles Scone's way...:hug:

myheart

Aww! Great idea! I'm glad he got the point! It took our Toby awhile to figure out the "center" of the ramp we had. He would get half-way and freeze, then sit there for awhile and jump off. Glad to know Scone is a smart little cookie! ;)

Scone had a Good Day today - he even jumped into bed with me this morning (ignoring the ramp, oh well). Here are some pictures:

"I'm feeling good this morning"

scone_4855.jpg

"I like the idea of a litter box by the door. Very convenient!"

scone_4849.jpg

"Oat hay and fresh Brome. Yummy!"

scone_4845.jpg

Back into the cage for a wee pellet snack...

scone_4840.jpg

"Thanks, Dad!"

scone_4852.jpg

Back