Scone MacBunny - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeScone

Mike - Camera Corner Mod
Reaction score
First, a link to Scone's 2008 Blog: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=32573&forum_id=6

It’s too icy to drive this morning, so I decided it’s time to start Scone's blog for 2009 with some pictures I took last night.

"Oat Hay! Yumm!"
://home.htva.net/%7Ewb2jwd/ll0109/scone9731.jpg
scone9731.jpg

A happy bunny at rest...
scone9738.jpg

A kale snack is pure bunny heaven...
scone9741.jpg

"You lookin' at me, bud?" - Scone doing his Edward G. Robinson imitation.
scone9745.jpg

"Thanks, Dad!"
scone9751.jpg

Scone went to his first Cub Scout meeting tonight, and he was a big hit!

The local HRS asked me if I could contact the Scout groups in my district to see if they'd make hay tubes for the bunnies in the shelters in this area. I posted the idea to our district website, and one of the Cortland packs asked me to come in and talk to the Cubs about it.

I had a circulating PowerPoint slide show running, showing pictures of Scone and other bunnies of as many different breeds as I could find (lots of LL bunnies, plus many from different rabbit shows). Once the Cubs settled in, I carried Scone around and let the Cubs pet him and feel how soft his fur is. Then I told them about rabbits, and they asked a lot of good questions. I explained that bunnies need to eat hay, and that they love to chew on cardboard, so they were going to make up some bunny toys. Then I turned them over to the Pack leaders. I had half a dozen different kinds of hay, and various flavor extracts to paint on the tubes - banana, strawberry, maple, mint, etc. (a suggestion from my contact at HRS). The Cubs went at it with a will - there was soon hay and spilled flavor extracts everywhere. In the end, they made up a large box full of stuffed hay tubes painted with a dizzying variety of flavors - the drive back home was aromatic, to say the least.

Meanwhile, I stayed with Scone and talked to the individual Cubs who came over to pet him and feed him parsley and kale and pieces of hay. Once the food started coming, he got over his nervousness quickly, and he really seemed to enjoy all the small hands petting him.

I had a bunch of flyers to hand out, and also made some posters of the rabbits the Upstate NY HRS had for adoption - you never know.

Once I got home, Scone ran under my bed to decompress, but it didn't take long for him to come back out and look for a handout.

Don't know about Scone, but I can't wait to do it again.

That's AWESOME! I love that kids are learning more about rabbits! With smaller pets being more and more popular it's so important!

Scone isa gorgeous boy! That second pic is SUCH a mini-rex pose! Comfy, yet very proper in his resting!

MR always remind me of someone like Sean Connery..... :p

Bo B Bunny wrote:
THAT'S who Scone reminds me of (in some poses)! He has that Scottish look to him! :)

It's awesome that you went and did that presentation for the Cub Scouts! You have a lot of courage to talk in front of a group of kids! It's great that you are able to talk to them when they are little and are still impressionable. If only more areas did that before kids were able to get pets...

I bet Scone loved the attention! ;) (or was too freaked out!)

kherrmann3 wrote:
He has that Scottish look to him! :)

It's awesome that you went and did that presentation for the Cub Scouts! You have a lot of courage to talk in front of a group of kids!

I bet Scone loved the attention! ;) (or was too freaked out!)
I've always thought of Scone as a Scottish bunny - actually, my son named him Scone because he wanted a Scottish name (and was reserving "Haggis" for the sheep he'd like someday) (didn't make any sense to me, either).

Groups of kids don't faze me - I was a Scoutmaster for 30 years, so I'm used to it. The Cubs are younger (7-10 years old), so their attention spans are a bit shorter than the 11-17 year old Scouts I worked with, but they're loads of fun.

Scone was a bit uncertain at first, but once the food and the petting started coming he just soaked it in. The Cubs loved feeding parsley or hay. They thought it was fascinating watching Scone start at one end of a stalk and nibble his way along. And, of course, there's nothing softer than mini-rex fur...

Bo B Bunny wrote:

Maybe Edward G. Robinson is a bit dated - Scone would say something like, "He eats one of your craisins, you eat ALL OF HIS HAY. That's the mini-rex way..." Or, he could introduce himself as "MacBunny. Scone MacBunny" and ask for his craisins shaken, not stirred.

It's nice to see Scone doing his community service. Kids areso facinated with rabbits. I always spend a lot of time with the kids at adoption events letting them pet and hold the rabbits. Our rescue does a lot of library programs too.

LOL! Mini-rex have that personality don't they? Opinionated, yet proper and I'm tickled that you all think the Sean Connery reference is correct! Yeah, Mike, Edward G. Robinson...... I have no clue LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Mike, Edward G. Robinson...... I have no clue LOL!

Edward G. Robinson (1893-1973) was famous for playing gangsters in films from the 30's through the 50's. He usually had a cigar as a prop in his tough guy roles, which prompted my comment about the picture of Scone-with-kale-stem.

12_1.jpg
scone9745.jpg

MV5BMTg2MDAzMzE4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzUwNjQ2._V1._SX319_SY400_.jpg

Ahhhhhh...... he died when I was 10 and most likely "in love" with Donny Osmond or Leif Garret...... :embarrassed:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Ahhhhhh...... he died when I was 10 and most likely "in love" with Donny Osmond or Leif Garret......
Hehe, you're old!:lookaround Just kidding! :p

I do love your (Sir) Sean Connery/Scone MacBunny comparison post! It's true! It's the mouth/lower lip that makes it! So cute! (Scone, not Sir Sean) :p

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Did you supply the tubes or did the scouts collect them and you provided everything else?
I brought a few toilet paper rolls for the inevitable kids who didn't get the message, but in the end they had plenty of rolls of their own. Living alone, I just don't generate enough rolls for Scone, much less enough for dozens of Cub Scouts.

That's so cool the kids can help with that. I love involving kids in rescue efforts. Providing toys is FUN for them too!

Back