Sabrina's House~~The Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeesh.........those teeth!:pssd: How did that poor bunny eat? At least he's in good hands now.

Hi All,

The bunny with the tooth problem is named Yoshi. The girl that had him was in a tough situation and was trying to find help for him. She was referred from a local vet. She did donate all his cages and supplies. He was probably wondering what was happening to him last night. He had dental work, manicure and some minor surgery to extract a nasty (and well fed) tick. He started working with that tongue. The upper molars were actually longer than the lower and were just about to cut the roof of his mouth. He is a tad underweight (imagine that) but is already enjoying his new pearly whites and is happily munching away. He seems to like it here. More on him later.

Randy

Oh poor Yoshi! I was wondering what his uppers were doing if his lowers looked like that! Yikes. He must be so happy to be able to eat now!

Is he a lionhead? He looks a little fluffy around the face from the pic. :)

Randy,

So, is Yoshi going back to his original owner at any point? What's his health like other than the teeth?

Give him special bunny snuggles for me!

-Mary Ellen

PS - What's the scoop on Jojo? How are Danny and Miracle? Any updates on Scoots? (My, but I am pesty! :stikpoke)

Hi All,

Another introduction to a recent rescue. This is "Lovey"...so named by her rescuers because she was so happy to be found. This rabbit was found in a yard near Raleigh, NC. Since she was found outside, the people that found her called Piedmont Wildlife Center and asked for help. Due to her appearance, they assumed she was a cottontail and admitted her. But she isn't a cottontail...and even though she is domestic, this center will treat domestics in an emergency and then transfer to local rescues. This time, they called me since Lovey seems to be sick. Their initial thought was a back injury since that is so common in cottontails. She couldn't move her rear legs. So instead of releasing her to some of the rescues in their area, they called me since they know I live for this kind of thing. She is covered in warbles...many of them between her rear legs and one huge bot near her left front leg. She does have some possible EC issues but time will tell on that. She is already nicely settled and eating well. Her gurgling upper respiratory has cleared up. She is going to the vet on Monday night for an "exam". These are senior vet students that we help train with exotics. The doctor said they have never extracted warbles in school so far...guess what? These particular students don't know me so we are going to do something a little different. The real doctor is just going to supervise the students. Since they don't know me, I am taking my bunny in since she "doesn't act right". This won't give them any clues to what the concerns are which should lead them to a correct path of diagnosis which should include questioning me extensively about what is going on with her while doing the exam on her. In a few months, these doctors will be out in the real world working on real animals...not lab animals and this is the type of thing they will hear and see.

Say hello to Lovey.

MVC-021S-2.jpg

Randy

Wow she is beautiful Randy.

What an awesome thing youre doing with these vet students. Youre making life easier for all of us rabbit lovers by helping educate our future vets.

Hi Guys,

This little guy is named Thunder. He is a smaller rabbit with a huge ego. He is one of the "factory" rabbits from Marshall's. He was at a Petco in the Raleigh area. He doesn't play well with others....and that is an understatement. They knew that he was so aggressive that he would never find a home unless it was with someone that really understood rabbits.So Petco asked ifhe couldcome to our place.He has been a challenge. But he is getting better and is not as aggressive now....in fact, he doesn't bite now since he has learned that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. He actually enjoys being petted....once you win the battle to get your hands on him without bloodshed. But as I said...he is getting better. He has some striking markings. Say hello to Thunder.

000_0013.jpg

Randy

Update on JoJo.

Some of you may remember a sick rabbit that was coming to us from Gainesville Rabbit Rescue in Florida....and one ofour forum members....slavetoabunny...assisted with the Bunderground transport.

JoJo has settled in here. Recently was moved into the "Rabbit Room". It was quite a treat to watch him take it all in with all these rabbits. He ran and did one huge binky after another. He is always ready for attention and loves every minute of it.

JoJo has a huge jaw abscess on the lower right jaw bone. We started treating with a slightly less aggressive treatment than I normally do. This was to make sure his overall health was good enough to withstand all the drugs. The original treatment has resolved about 85% of the abscess. There is no visible swelling externally but the skin is sagging due to being stretched by the infection. We took him in to our vet last week so that we could get a better look at what was actually happening....and we had a group of vet students doing clinicals. This procedure would give them the opportunity to see the diagnosis protocols thatare not taught in vet school. We did a series of x-rays (as soon as I get them available...I will post them so everyone can see what a jaw abscess looks like) and along with a visual found that he does still have some infection. The root cause in this case is really a root cause. One of the molars on the lower right arcade has a root that is actually hooked almost at a 90 degree angle which results in an impaction. The long term infection has damaged the bone but it appears we have halted that decay and the bone is regenerating. Problem with that is that it usually leads to some malocclusion issues. The lower right incisor is also involved and is infected secondarily.

The plan of action at this time is to step up the drug therapy to the full treatment. We are documenting all our work. My vet is willing to validate the treatment should it completely eradicate the abscess...and if it does, and is proven clinically,we will get the information out (under her validation) to the various information networks many of the vets use. Unless the abscess worsens...we will do more x-rays in about 2 months to verify any progress that has been made.

As far as JoJo himself....he seems to be in no discomfort at all. He will crunch any kind of hay you put in front of him. He has also learned to drink from a bottle...and he is a drinker and that is good for him. Unless things totally collapse....this should not be a life threatening issue and he hopefully will fully recover without surgery. More update and the x-rays soon.

Randy

This is Simba....he was our very first lionhead. He is another of the "factory" style Marshall rabbits and came here with a "'tude". He was just plain mean. It was a huge issue just to get your hands on him. And he seemed to have more nails and teeth than the normal rabbit because you could be assured that anyone that tried to touch him was going to bleed. It was a major battle to trim his nails...we nearly had to have him sedated the first couple of times. He is getting older now and still will make a lunge for any hand coming into his kingdom....but now it's to be petted. He has dociled out and is a very nice rabbit now. And has a beautiful mane and skirt. Say hello to Simba.

000_0015.jpg

Randy

Hi Again,

This mature gentleman is Mr. White. He is an older lionhead. He is going blind. A breeder asked us if we could try to help him. This is some type of mucus that is nearly covering the cornea of his eyes. There is a long name for the condition but I couldn't even start to spell it. Only about 25% of his vision remains. There is a surgical procedure that could possibly correct the condition. But all of use involved, including our vets, feel that Mr. White is too old and not strong enoughtto withstand the sedation. So we have decided to make the necessary husbandryadjustments to deal with a blind rabbit...we also have another totally blind bun. Being an older rabbit, he prefers to lounge about....but he still has his moments when he comes out to roam around. He eats anything we offer him. We do keep his eyes lubricated. The only other thing we have to do for him is to let him know when we are going to pick him up. As long as we talk to him, no problem. We let him do most anything he wants....we just want him to enjoy the autumn of his life. Say hello to Mr. White.

000_0045.jpg

Randy

Hi All,

Would like everyone to meet Andre "The Giant". Like his namesake the professional wrestler...may he rest in peace....Andre is a real gentle giant. As you can tell by his ears....me might add some more size before he is fully grown. To give you reference to his size....his kennel is over 5 feet long and nearly 3 feet wide. His litter pan is one of the huge ones that restaurants use to bus tables. He loves to go for stroller rides around a local lake and really enjoys all the attention he gets. What a great rabbit.

MVC-024S.jpg

Randy

Here is a face only a mother could love. This is one of several Virginia Opossums that we worked for Piedmont Wildlife Center. This young man is rare...he is totally black except for the stripes on his face. And he is the most aggressive opossum we have had thru here. He was recently released in a large city park. It has miles of riverfront land that is perfect for the grubs, worms and bugs these guys like to eat.

MVC-013S.jpg

Randy

Beautiful beasties Randy, and such great stories! I hope the treatments work well for JoJo, not just for him but because I would love to see more info on the treatments you are using. Jaw abscesses seem to be so common and with the bone involvement surgery isn't always an option. Anything that will give a beloved pet a better chance at life!

This is a rare bird around these parts...first time I have ever seen one. It's a Clipper Rail. This little bird suffered a nasty head injury. I triaged her and managed to pull her thru the first 72 hours in rehab...and I was quite surprised thatshe survived. She was transferred to one of the vets at a local emergency clinic that loves working birds. She was eating and starting to fly recently. Should be a successful rescue.

MVC-009S.jpg

Randy

Hi,

I saw Angela's note... Is there a thread somewhere about a bun named JoJo who is being treated for a jaw abscess? I have a girl who has one and had 3 molarspulled about a month ago and is scheduled to go back to the vet dentist in November. I try to read whatever I can find about this topic but I don't remember seeing that story.

Cara

Thanks for sharing more stories, Randy!

I was wondering...

A while back you had told me you were doing some large group play sessions with your buns. Do you? I realize you have many bonded pairs, but do you have any larger groups that are together all the time?

We added a mini Rex to the brood here (hopefully will be a partner for Gingivere once he's neutered). And I was thinking it might be worth the work to see if all four of our buns would enjoy life together - or at least play time...

Any advice suggestions about this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh...and how is Scoots?

-Mary Ellen

cmh9023 wrote:
Hi,

I saw Angela's note... Is there a thread somewhere about a bun named JoJo who is being treated for a jaw abscess? I have a girl who has one and had 3 molarspulled about a month ago and is scheduled to go back to the vet dentist in November. I try to read whatever I can find about this topic but I don't remember seeing that story.

Cara

You may of missed this on the previous page. Here is Randy's update on JoJo:

Update on JoJo.

Some of you may remember a sick rabbit that was coming to us from Gainesville Rabbit Rescue in Florida....and one ofour forum members....slavetoabunny...assisted with the Bunderground transport.

JoJo has settled in here. Recently was moved into the "Rabbit Room". It was quite a treat to watch him take it all in with all these rabbits. He ran and did one huge binky after another. He is always ready for attention and loves every minute of it.

JoJo has a huge jaw abscess on the lower right jaw bone. We started treating with a slightly less aggressive treatment than I normally do. This was to make sure his overall health was good enough to withstand all the drugs. The original treatment has resolved about 85% of the abscess. There is no visible swelling externally but the skin is sagging due to being stretched by the infection. We took him in to our vet last week so that we could get a better look at what was actually happening....and we had a group of vet students doing clinicals. This procedure would give them the opportunity to see the diagnosis protocols thatare not taught in vet school. We did a series of x-rays (as soon as I get them available...I will post them so everyone can see what a jaw abscess looks like) and along with a visual found that he does still have some infection. The root cause in this case is really a root cause. One of the molars on the lower right arcade has a root that is actually hooked almost at a 90 degree angle which results in an impaction. The long term infection has damaged the bone but it appears we have halted that decay and the bone is regenerating. Problem with that is that it usually leads to some malocclusion issues. The lower right incisor is also involved and is infected secondarily.

The plan of action at this time is to step up the drug therapy to the full treatment. We are documenting all our work. My vet is willing to validate the treatment should it completely eradicate the abscess...and if it does, and is proven clinically,we will get the information out (under her validation) to the various information networks many of the vets use. Unless the abscess worsens...we will do more x-rays in about 2 months to verify any progress that has been made.

As far as JoJo himself....he seems to be in no discomfort at all. He will crunch any kind of hay you put in front of him. He has also learned to drink from a bottle...and he is a drinker and that is good for him. Unless things totally collapse....this should not be a life threatening issue and he hopefully will fully recover without surgery. More update and the x-rays soon.

Randy

Latest posts

Back