Sabrina's House~~The Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not a happy camper at all. It's a Canada Goose that got itself into some trouble. I was called to a local neighborhood and told there was a sick goose on the loose. Sure enough....we found him. We could get right to him and he would fly off. But I could see he was in deep trouble. Something was wrong inside his bill....it was necrotic. First thought was a fish hook. It took two days to catch him....and got threatened by a resident that I was going to be arrested,....she was calling the police because I was after "her" goose. Well...the police are the ones that called me. I explained what I do and the lady was very helpful in capturing this goose. She had been feeding him and led him directly into her garage which make things much easier....but you really have to understand what "easier" means with a goose. He was not appreciative of my efforts at all.

But we got the goose and he went to the wildlife center. It was a badly infected wound from a fish hook and attached line. Despite all the damage from the infection, the goose had successful surgery to remove the hook and repair some of the damage. After relaxing and gaining some much needed weight, he returned and was released to the delight of the neighborhood folks that gathered for the event.

MVC-021S-1.jpg

Randy

I knew that this blog would have me in tears. What a wonderful message of hope Miracle's story was - I can only imagine how worried you were when you gave her the chance to run free.

We don't have opossums in the UK, but I have to say they look really cute, and I think any creature should be given a chance.

Thanks, randy, for all you do to help these birds and animals, and sharing their stories with us

Jan

Well, Randy, you've done it again...gone and shared a wonderful story that's made me cry into my coffee.

Though I've heard Miracle's story before, I can't help but be amazed at her recovery. She's a blessed little girl for ending up at Sabrina's House.

I'm so glad you're sharing your experiences with all the animals...not only the rabbits.

I'll go make another pot of coffee and wait for more...:bunny19

Mary Ellen

Thanks for all the kind words guys. And all these animals stay in our house....actually we have onlya very small part of the house and it really belongs to them. We try to get the birds to the regional wildlife center....especially the bigger birds as soon as we possibly can. They have staff there nearly around the clock in prime rescue season and that is very important to the baby birds since they have to be fed so often.

Our numbers are finally starting to drop a little as we have released most of our opossums and rabbits. Three more opossums, a pair of cottontails and a squirrel should be released over the coming week.

More stories are on the way.

Randy

This thread has got me in tears. The story of the bun had me crying within the first 2 or 3 lines. Great Thread, and YOU are a GREAT person! You are doing what I will always wish I can do someday, and in my book anyone who takes the time and love to do this for aniamls who can't help them selves is a hero. You like my new fav person :)

SSS

Wow, that story of Miracle has me in tears too! I wish everyone could understand the joy of rescuing a bun and more people would do it. Resuce buns are so awesome.

This little guy is a Hotot named Zakk. He, along with two of his siblings, we dumped in the yard of a local dog rescue. The person at the rescue called me in a panic as one of the rabbits had already died and this one was not looking good. Since I am not a vet, I can't legally treat someone's animal. But this lady had called nine different emergency clinics looking for help. Nobody would look at this rabbit. We had actually gone to pick up an injured turtle from her that night and she asked again if we could do something as he was getting worse. She said she would do whatever it took to get him help. So, he was surrendered to us immediately. He was near death and had very faint life signs. I didn't think he was going to live long enough for us to do anything for him. And his friend, a butterscotch colored lop, was freaking out. But we got him home and spent the next couple of hours with him. He was very underweight...bordering on emaciated....and terribly dehydrated. But he was with us the next morning and made a complete recovery. He has a very quirky look and personality....but he is a healthy and happy rabbit now.

This picture is of him just minutes after arriving here for treatment. I think you can tell just how dire the situation was.

MVC-030S-1.jpg

Randy

Isn't this just too much? These guys are so cute in rescue and love to play. I had one that learned to ring a bell when he was ready for dinner. This little guy is obviously enjoying his life here.

MVC-028S.jpg

Randy

Poor Zak, you can really see it in his eyes how ill he was. Does he still stay with you or has he been rehomed? Lovely looking wee guy.:D

This is a squirrel that we named Issue. He got that name because he had so many health issues coming into rescue. He was taken to a local vet because he "didn't look right". That part was correct. This is a case of a well meaning person unintentionally causing harm. Contrary to what most will tell you, Goat's Milk and KMR will not save the world. In a squirrel's case, the nutrition is so poor in those milks that it causes a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). It results in weak bones and inhibits growth. This squirrel was about halfthe weight that it should have been. The lady originally said she had the squirrel for a couple of days but then admitted it had been weeks. This little guy was struggling. His development was severely inhibited but eventually we caught him up. He was released in a protected area with another rehabber that takes special needs that are releasable.

This is another example of why an untrained...albeit well intentioned....person attempts to hand raise wildlife.A squirrel requires very specific formulas for the first four weeks, then a slow conversion to another of differing nutrition as the squirrle develops....and finally weaning onto proper squirrel solid foods. Seeds and things are fun to watch them eat....but they are junk food.

Issue1.jpg

Randy

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't posted any pics and stories recently. Been very busy with rescues....and we were hit by lightning, had a little fire and it killed the air conditioning while we are experiencing record heat. But everybody survived. More pics and stories are on the way.

Just wanted to ask for everyone's healing thoughts for a rabbit that is coming our way. Efforts to provide transportation from Florida to North Carolina are nearly complete and JoJo should be here soon so was can start treatment. Check out his story at this link

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8754687

Randy

Hi All,

You might remember Zakk...he is the Hotot that came in so sick. Here is a picture of this little guy now. He is perfectly healthy and has mastered the art of lounging around not doing much. He has a very quirky personality and is fun to watch. His spotted ear bounces when he does his huge binkies. He has fully recovered from his original health issues, has been neutered and is perfectly happy here.

Zakk032007.jpg

Randy

Hi,

This beautiful lady is Angel. The local city pound received a call about a dead white rabbit in someone's yard. She wasn't dead but was very close. She had been "set free" and was not doing so well. She was nearly starved and totally dehydrated when she was admitted. Notice the spots on her side? She was being eaten alive by warbles...which are basically maggots. They are huge and are the larvae of a large fly. She was so overwhelmed by them, she was totally paralyzed and could only lift her head. Over the next couple of weeks, we removed 24 bots from her body. She started eating as soon as I got some fluids and pain meds in her....but she was on her side with no use of her legs. Over time, she regained her motor skills but went hormonal on us. She would attack herself. She was so violent that I had to do the inital anesthesia at the vet since she would have hurt somebody. And she hated females. Makes me wonder if a female human did something bad to her.

She has fully recovered from her ordeal and surgery. She is now living up to her name. She is no longer aggressive toward anyone. She will be getting a friend as soon as he is neutered. She is a rather large girl...typical New Zealand....and she has something special for a little Polishguy that weighs just over a pound...go figure. Loves her hay and greens. And now, she always has her nose available for petting. This picture was taken after about 2 weeks in rehab and she was just starting to heal up and recover the use of her legs.

MVC-029S-1.jpg

Randy

Hi Randy,

You are an absolute Godsend to the animal word. Honestly the world needs more people like you.

I read the story of Angel and was in tears reading it, then got to the end and had a big smile on my face. You did a wonderful job with her (and all your animals), I bet she is looking forward to getting a boyfriend. LOL

I really don't understand how people can do these horrible things to helpless animals that give unconditional love back to their owners. This is why we need much stricter laws about abuse of animals. (Sorry I didn't mean to rant on in your blog)

Susan and her Gang:running bunny

ra7751 wrote:
Seeds and things are fun to watch them eat....but they are junk food.

Randy
Randy,

Issue is an adorable squirrel!

You know my obsession with providing for the wildlife that make their home in our yard. The squirrels raid the bird feeders (which we, of course, absolutely allow...we just fill them more often). We have a HUGE squirrel population for a suburban yard. Besides the bird seed and some occasional dried corn and peanuts, is there some more nutritious (non-junk) food we can keep available for the squirrels? I especially want to make certain their needs are met this winter.

Thanks!

Mary Ellen

Randy,

I just read Jojo's story. Thanks for taking him in. Do you think that Dr. D or another vet in your area might actually be able to remove the tumor or attempt another treatment? I know the site said it was inoperable...but I've known you to attempt (and succeed at) the "impossible."

Let us know when he arrrives safely at Sabrina's House. And give him special bunny snuggles and kisses for me when he gets settled in!

kaos-animal-bunny-smiley-6088.gif

-Mary Ellen

Hi All,

Guess what happens in August when you get lots of severe thunderstorms??? You get lots of squirrels. These guys are from two separate rescues. There are seven total in this group. An entire family of babies and two from another family. Unfortunately the other three did not make it due to head injuries. Should anyone find a baby squirrel, it is vitally important to provide supplemental heat. They will also cry for their mother. Sometimes, it is possible to reunite the mom and her babies. We did attempt to do that with both these families but there was too much human activity cleaning up from the storms. So here they are.

And to Mary Ellen....from the way things look, I think JoJo's problem is a mandibular abscess due to a molar impaction. My first treatment will be to attempt to halt the growth of the abscess and hope the bone has not suffered major damage. From the last message I received, transport plans were in the final stage so we are going to make the final leg of the trip from upstate SC. I will post a bio on him when he arrives.

And for adult squirrels....the primary food source here post-weaning is rodent block. It is not expensive and is carried in most pet stores. Same stuff that is fed to pet mice and rats. And something most people don't know....squirrels will also eat fruits and veggies. Like all of us.....they need a well rounded diet to insure they are healthy. Many squirrels that are raised on goat's milk and/or kitten milk replacer develop Metabolic Bone Disease and are generally unhealthy. It also can lead to some bone disorders that can have disasterous results if they fall....and usually results in a broken back. In addition to the rodent block, I do offer them some acorns and other seeds. Carrots and greens are also a favorite among our squirrels. And they love Oreo cookies....but they are really unhealthy for them....but a little treat every now and then should be OK.

Here is a picture of our new arrivals. They are about 5-7 days old....the group of five may be the younger while the group of two are just getting a little fuzz around their nose. They had their first meal of diluted formula just a couple of hours ago and it's nearly feeding time again. It is important not to offer full strength formula to allow their digestive system to adjust. Wish them well....they are at a very delicate stage right now.

Stormsquirrels.jpg

Randy

Latest posts

Back