Sabrina's House~~The Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ra7751 wrote:
Stormsquirrels.jpg
Oh they are so precious, I hope they all make it! Sending good thoughts. :)

ra7751 wrote:
Just wanted to ask for everyone's healing thoughts for a rabbit that is coming our way. Efforts to provide transportation from Florida to North Carolina are nearly complete and JoJo should be here soon so was can start treatment.
I am going to be part of the bunny-train transporting JoJo! This will be my first transport (there are not that many transports out of Florida) and I am so excited to be taking part. I will be transporting JoJo from Jacksonville to Savannah, GA. I only wish I could be taking JoJo all the way to NC so I could meet Randy.

YAY for heroes!

slavetoabunny wrote: [/b]
ra7751 wrote:
Just wanted to ask for everyone's healing thoughts for a rabbit that is coming our way. Efforts to provide transportation from Florida to North Carolina are nearly complete and JoJo should be here soon so was can start treatment.
I am going to be part of the bunny-train transporting JoJo! This will be my first transport (there are not that many transports out of Florida) and I am so excited to be taking part. I will be transporting JoJo from Jacksonville to Savannah, GA. I only wish I could be taking JoJo all the way to NC so I could meet Randy.

Hi All,

Today is a sad day, a happy day and a day of remembrance here at Sabrina's House. One year ago today, Sabrina came back for her soul mate Yoda and he made the journey across the bridge. He is very much missed by us and I would like all of you to know this wonderful bunny.

Yoda was the first of our rabbits in the "modern" era. Prior to Yoda, we just assumed rabbits sat in their hutch and ate and pooped. Yoda was our first real indoor rabbit. And he put on a show the first night he came here. He would run and do binkies and have a good time. He would play tag and chase with me. And he learned to play catch.

We found a vet to neuter him as soon as he was old enough. He had already developed a wonderful personality. Soon, he met his first love, Sabrina. He seemed to know she was sick. He was a perfect gentleman to her and they bonded immediately. She didn't seem to know how to be a rabbit. I watched him teach her. It was amazing.

But early in 2004, Sabrina lost her battle to all her ailments. Yoda was heart broken. I remember the night we lost her. I brought her body back so Yoda could spend time with her. He came over and sniffed her and sat right beside her. Then he turned and just stared at her empty house. That was very difficult to deal with. He knew.

Soon, Yoda became quite ill. We came home and felt something wasn't right with Yoda. We put him on the floor and he started a violent spin. He was in a panic and so were we. We rushed him to our vet. He had a fever of nearly 105 degrees. That indicated a major infection. It was his ears. He tilted fully but never did his spirit break. Even our vet was ready to administer last rites and we discussed the ultimate decision. But I asked Yoda and he wasn't ready to give up the fight. And fight he did. He overcame this problem after eight months of treatment and returned to his old self. But not for long as he began a series of bacterial infections that ravaged his body. We ultimately found the infections were due to a compromised immune system....he was fighting EC too. He lost the use of his left rear leg but made a remarkable comeback as we aggressively treated his problems. But as we know, EC is a wasting disease and each improvement was followed by a worse infection. We intensified the treatments and developed new protocols for dealing with this. Yoda fought a hard battle for over two years.

Finally, he told me he was ready....and I had promised him that I would honor his wish at any time. The final night, he slept in the bed with us. Early the next morning, he woke us up and we knew the time had come. My wife held him and then he wanted to come to me. He looked up at me and I felt Sabrina there...she had come for him. I told him it was OK for him to go with her. And then an amazing thing happened. He looked up at me again....but it wasn't the tired and sick rabbit he had become. That howdy-doody face, those perfectly lopped ears and those huge deep brown eyes were there for a final time. It felt like he was saying "thank you". And he nodded his head as I felt his last breath.

Yoda and Sabrina are our inspiration in this rescue and why I am so determined to find out all I can about EC. The spirits of Yoda and Sabrina live in every rescue we do. And oddly enough, we just got in a rabbit that has severe head tilt...just like Yoda suffered.

I take comfort in knowing that things are back as they should be. I miss him terribly. But Yoda and Sabrina are back together again...and this time it's forever.

I always called Yoda the "Captain" of our rescue and always left him with a standing order when we left home for any reason..."Yoda, you have the bridge". And he will always be in command of our rescue. Until we meet again little buddy.

Yoda15.jpg

The entire crew at Sabrina's House

Oh Randy, what a touching story and beautiful tribute to your little man. Im in tears here.

You aretruly such a wonderulperson and such an inspiration. Each animal who comes into your care is so lucky to be given a second chance at life.

Sabrina (and Yoda) sound like amazing bunnies, as do all the ones you tellus about here in your blog. You are a wonderful writer and person.Thank you for sharing your stories withus.

Haley

ra7751 wrote:
Hi All,

Today is a sad day, a happy day and a day of remembrance here at Sabrina's House. One year ago today, Sabrina came back for her soul mate Yoda and he made the journey across the bridge. He is very much missed by us and I would like all of you to know this wonderful bunny.
Randy, I remember receiving your email last year that Yoda had gone to be with his "Breenie Girl." I cried then and share your tears again today. How fitting it is that you share a tribute to him on this anniversary of his crossing.
But early in 2004, Sabrina lost her battle to all her ailments. Yoda was heart broken. I remember the night we lost her. I brought her body back so Yoda could spend time with her. He came over and sniffed her and sat right beside her. Then he turned and just stared at her empty house. That was very difficult to deal with. He knew.
I, too, can remember when we placed Stewart's lifeless body down next to Gingivere. How she groomed him and nudged him...wanting her sweet friend to wake from his "sleep." She sat for weeks in the areas of the house that had been their favorite snuggle corners...staring off...longing for him to be there. It nearly broke my heart. And to this day I am certain she still misses her dearest friend. "My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - That heartfelt quote of Hazel in Watership Down on the loss of his friend seems to sum up all the emotion of such grief.
Yoda and Sabrina are our inspiration in this rescue and why I am so determined to find out all I can about EC. The spirits of Yoda and Sabrina live in every rescue we do. And oddly enough, we just got in a rabbit that has severe head tilt...just like Yoda suffered.
I, too, am thankful for the lives of Sabrina and Yoda. Because of Yoda's fight with EC you have been determined to research this dreaded condition. It was your wise words just months ago that compelled me to have an EC titer drawn on Gingivere. Her strong positive was a blow. And though she's not developed any of the neurological symptoms to date...I know that should that happen you will be there with more words of experience and comfort that will help me yet again. All because Yoda was your teacher in life. Our household is indebted to him.
I take comfort in knowing that things are back as they should be. I miss him terribly. But Yoda and Sabrina are back together again...and this time it's forever.
And I take comfort in knowing that Stewart waits with them for his Gingivere to join him when it is her time.
Again, my thoughts are with you. Your rescue work is a tribute to the bunnies who inspired you. Their spirit lives on in all you do for the others who come into your care. -Mary Ellen

ra7751 wrote:
He looked up at me and I felt Sabrina there...she had come for him. I told him it was OK for him to go with her.

OMG....Randy.....this was exactly the way I felt when Puck died and when SugarBear died. Crazy as it sounds...it felt like GingerSpice was there. Those three had been really close when they were young and they played together and slept together.

When my two boys died last week it was so hard to cry or grieve because somehow there was a feeling of "rightness" - as if they'd gone to be with GingerSpice.

I never told my family for fear they'd lock me up - but I know exactly what you mean about feeling Sabrina there...for that is what I felt.

And then an amazing thing happened. He looked up at me again....but it wasn't the tired and sick rabbit he had become. That howdy-doody face, those perfectly lopped ears and those huge deep brown eyes were there for a final time. It felt like he was saying "thank you". And he nodded his head as I felt his last breath.

GingerSpice sort of did that near the end...and I think it helped me accept her passing. Or at least I keep dreaming that every once in a while...

I agree. There are three rabbits that have passed on that I haven't grieved about as much because it now seems "right" for them to be with GingerSpice. One was R2D2 - he and Ginger were very close when they both were very ill. The other two are Puck and SugarBear.....and they were a trio with GingerSpice when they were all young.

Its hard to be sad about them being gone. I miss them - but everytime I think of them (unless I go to their empty cage when I'm feeding) - I picture my threesome binkying at rainbow bridge.

Hi Everyone,

Remember group of squirrels...the Magnificent 7....from earlier in the blog? They are now the Great 8 as the group accepted an orphan. They have all their fur and their eyes are open. All are now in transition to Stage 2 Formula which has a different fat and protein content. I am also introducing them to solid food. They are not eating yet, but they will know the smell. For the first few weeks, they will get only healthy food...in this case, rodent block.

MVC-007S.jpg

Randy

You know, it's true...you can't fix stupid. Here is a baby snapping turtle. A lady and her kids found the nest while at a pond and she decided to "teach" her children. Well, hope she is nota real teacher because when she disturbed the nest, she broke open this egg. He has been in rescue now for over 100 hours. His yolk sac came off yesterday and he munced on a piece of sardine last night. He will stay here a few days and be released.

MVC-002S.jpg

Randy

Sparky needs your healing vibes. This is a beautiful bunny. He has a terrible case of head tilt. He is part Hotot....the "down" eye has black eyeliner....and his eyes are bright blue. He is being treated here at the request of an area Petco. He became sick while at the store. I am impressed that he was immediately taken to a vet and they spared no expense in his treatment.....I know the vet and they showed me thecharges....and gave me all the meds for him. But this seems to be a difficult infection that is not responding to normal protocols. So, the managers at the Petco called and asked if he could come here. No way was I turning this guy down. He has been here 3 days now and has already improved. He is eating aggressively. He has also been digging and grooming himself despite his problem. He has a long battle ahead of him but I think he is up to it. His face has changed since he came here. He has already learned his name and comes hopping (reallyhopping too) over to us when we come into the room. Please keep him in your thoughts and we fight this infection with him.

MVC-003S.jpg

Randy

Hugs and thoughts Sparky, If anyone can help you Randy can.

Randy your story about Yoda made me cry, what an amazing bond you have with your animals:)

Poor little Sparky. I'm guessing he's one of those "Peters Rabbits" from Marshall Farms? Not a good start to life at all. Give him a hug for me!

Oh, and way to go with the baby squirrels! They're so cute! So is that teeny-tiny turtle. I thought turtle eggs were more leathery, how did she break one open? On purpose? Boy am I glad my parents taught me not to touch nests or baby animals when I was little! There's enough stupid in this world as it is...

You're right about Sparky beinga Marshall Rabbit. We also have a couple of other Peter's Rabbits and both of them are very aggressive. We can already see a little bit of correction in the degree of tilt so I am hopeful....but if nothing else, he is such a fighter. He is still spinning around...but in a good way....he is totally surrounded by a buffet of healthy foods and he is enjoying every bit of it. And he can have all he wants.

And the turtle eggs are leathery....and I have no idea how this lady "accidentally" broke open the egg. She also had a bird egg. I "counseled"her (sternly I might add as only I can do) about the morals and legalities surrounding her actions. But again....you can't fix stupid....and what she did is stupid.

Randy

Randy,

The baby squirrels are so adorable. And I've looked for the rat block you suggested for our squirrels, but so far am unable to find it. I will continue the search, though. Is there a company name I should look for?

We all send our thoughts Sparky's way...wishing him a full and speedy return to health! Will he go back to Petco when he's recovered?

And is Jojo with you yet? I'm anxious to hear how that is going.

Mary Ellen

Hey Randy, I hope all iswell at Sabrina's House. :)

I have a soft spot for squirrels, I have one living in my false ceiling, although I may have messed that up. :( She had a litter (I think she only has one or two), I decided to put some squirrel food up there. When I moved the tile, she came charging over and grunted and growled at me. But she did eat the seeds. I tried again a few days later, leaving a small tray of them up there, but these time she seemed even more upset, and I haven't heard much from her since. :( (Before she was clomping around the ceiling like she was wearing army boots, and I heard squeaks from the baby(s). Now nothing. Just a light pitter-patter every once in a while. I hope I didn't do damage to the family.

Insult to injury, I had a VERY loud and active family of raccoons in my bathroom ceiling, they never seemed bothered by human noise, butI vacuumed the ceiling of an adjoining closet, and they all left. :(

Here's a pic of my squirrel (although the colours are all off).I kept forgetting to get one of the raccoons, and I never seem to have my camera when I'd run across them on my back porch.

Oh well.

squirrelcloseup2.jpg

Anyhoo, just bumping this thread and thanking you once again for everything you do! :bouquet:

sas :hearts

Hi All,

Just wanted to share a couple of recent rescues with you. We have a cottontail that is paralyzed in the rear legs. Wildlife Center asked if I would attempt treatment. Just something about this bunny that told me he wanted to live. So I took him. I think something good here is that I got the injury soon after it happened. Started him on Metacam for swelling. Started getting some response to pain in the left rear leg after a day of meds...and today we got reaction from the right rear leg. Off the Metacam and is now on steroids. This is a very controversial treatment that can lead to some problems if used improperly...but I have one of the best vets in the world looking in on this one. Hopefully we can get a good resolution on this one. I would say his prognosis is guarded at best. But he is eating well....and can move quite well on the front legs.

The actual problem is similar to what happens in domestics when they suffer spinal trauma. Rads on the cottontail showed a fracture at L4. Appears to be cracked and swollen but not misaligned...but it appears the inflammation is pressing on the nerves.

And I am including a picture of a rescue tonight. Not too much I can say about this...the picture says it all. Makes no sense to allow this to happen.

MVC-014S.jpg

Randy

Question can I beat the person who did that?:grumpy:

Give him a pet or two from me. We are sending him tons of love.

Latest posts

Back