Sabrina's House~~The Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always so touched by your blog, Randy. I typically cannot read it without crying and today was no exception. Your love for humans and animals alike is tangible and it's something I feel should be recognized as it unfortunately isn't the norm in today's society.

The hawk is absolutely stunning. I'm so happy that he has such a good chance of being healed and returned to the wild. Thanks for all you do and keep the heartwarming stories coming.

First one of these we have had.....a thrasher.

MVC-034S.jpg

A successful release. This group is seen eating each morning and evening. Released at a friend's house.

MVC-001S.jpg

These are some cottontails that just opened their eyes....and started nibbling on small pieces of alfalfa hay almost immediately.

MVC-029S-3.jpg

These three young ladies were admitted in very bad condition. They were terribley emaciated and had major gut issues. I really didn't think they would survive. But they did.....and the girls are about the most beautiful opossums we have ever had here. These pictures don't do them justice at all. Each of them has a round patch of white fur on their sides....a birthmark. They were all released to take their place in the world on June 24.

MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

MVC-019S-1.jpg

Randy

How wonderful that those sweet (and adorable) girls were able to be rehabilitated and released. It's so sad to hear their stories, but then when you get to see the happy endings it makes it all worth it...and more.

Those three girls are super cute! I just want to scoop 'em up and cuddle them (as if they'd sit still for that :biggrin2:).

I love opossums. Sadly, my friends and family don't share my enthusiasm. "They have rat tails," they say. Bah. They are cute. The Jenk has spoken. ;)

The fawn, and another that came in a few days later, have been successfully integrated into the rehab herd and are doing well. They are so neat especially when they are that young. They trust you unconditionally....which unfortunately is a bad thing sometimes.

And these opossums loved attention. They were handled so much because they were so sick when they came here that they really didn't mind contact. I hope they stay near their release point. It's a great location with animal loving people that is far from a road. And while she doesn't interfere with the wildlife, the lady that lives there does make it a bit easier for them to find food. Opossums have a bad rap. They are actually very helpful animals as they clean up the messes. People think they are dumb because they get hit by cars so often. Actually, they don't have really good eyesight so they probably don't see the car coming. They have changed little in their time on earth.....and that dates to the time of the dinosaurs.....they are living history. They also have an unusually high resistance to infections. Cat bites that would kill most other animals in a few days don't usually do that with opossums. Their body temperatures are much lower than most other mammals. And they don't usually contract rabies even when in direct contact with a rabid animal. We do "pouch dives". When you see a fat female dead in the road....many times the babies in her pouch are still alive. The milk spoils quickly and the babies can suffer severe brain and/or liver damage if they continue to nurse spoiled milk. We stop and pull the babies from the pouch. Hopefully we can do something to save them....but in some cases all we can do is make the ultimate expression of our love for them and humanely euthanize them to prevent undue suffering. But these guys are wonderful animals. I have one on loan to an educational facility that was a pouch dive that suffered brain damage. She is terribly cross eyed and can't be released. But she will sit in your lap....and I have fed her directly from my hand. She is a great teacher. She has a purpose and is living a charmed life.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
I have (an opposum) on loan to an educational facility that was a pouch dive that suffered brain damage. She is terribly cross eyed and can't be released. But she will sit in your lap....and I have fed her directly from my hand. She is a great teacher. She has a purpose and is living a charmed life.
:inlove:

It's great when the best possible outcome is achieved in the face of a less-than-stellar situation.

It would be great if the education facility would forward pictures of her in action (teaching others); that way, you could then share them with us. :D

Noah's Landing is run by some fine people. We have known them quite a while. They hold camps all year to teach kids about wildlife....and this place is hands on whenever possible. Not only do they have Virginia, our opossum, they have a homing pigeon we rescued and soon will have a squirrel. This squirrel is so beautiful....she has red on her sides and tail. I named her Lucy (after our all time favorite red head..Lucille Ball...and I am telling my age here). She suffered a fall....most likely from the nest....and she suffered a nasty mandibular fracture. Squirrels have open rooted teeth just like rabbits so if there is a problem with the jaw which affects occlusion of the teeth....their teeth will overgrow just like a rabbit. Think trimming your rabbit's teeth is a challenge? Come give Lucy a try. But she knows that she will get her all time favorite treat after her dental work...a big juicy strawberry. You can visit their site.

http://noahslanding2x2.com/

Several cottontails were released his morning and more for tomorrow morning. Hopefully the squirrels and opossums are done for a few weeks...mostly fawn, rabbits and birds now.

Randy

Horse barns hate opossums. They can carry EPM and it gets transferred to horses and it's a horrible disease for them.

Otherwise, I would feed all the ones I see out here LOL!

My mom has a couple of "pet opossums" that come up and eat the scraps she puts out in special areas of her yard. It makes it easier for them also and then they are less likely to be harmed by someone else. She had a small wooded lot next to her and they live in there.

Latest posts

Back