Rosie's househunting thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typical business people will not call on Sundays for references.

Did he specifically say he would let you know today? or what?

Yes...when I talked to him on Friday, he said he would definitely let me know yesterday by the afternoon. :(

I'm hoping he didn't realize it was Friday (and that the next day was Saturday), even though, he DID mention that he wouldn't get the credit report back until Monday. Maybe he's waiting for that, anyway, even though I gave him a credit report?

Would be nice to have SOME word from him, though...ugh!

I hope not...

If we don't hear word by tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to call him again, and if no word by the time Monday's done, we're just going to continue looking.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if this fell through, given that he said he understood. Danny and I talked about it last night a lot, and I just kept thinking that people need to be HONEST about things like that. I don't feel like it won't happen for us with this house...but we've experienced enough people in the past that said it would be fine, and it wasn't. One guy didn't EVER call me back, until I threatened legal action (I believe here in CA, it's illegal to insinuate that it's theirs and then not let the potential renters know one way or the other)...then he MAILED us a "no". The jerk.

Anyway, Danny and I both really don't think he'll say no...he really understood about the credit (not even a "sounded like" with that one), he said he would work with us about getting more money if the credit wasn't good enough...so many indicators that it was fine, coupled with us being the only interested party.

So, there's our plan at this point.

Edited to add: Broke down and left him another message, giving him our home phone, Danny's cell, and even our company phone numbers. :D

4_6_109v.gif
I hate when someone says oh i'll call you tommorow and never do. then your sitting there getting all stressed!!!!!

No more phone calls!!! :nonono:You don't want to look desperate for the house and then he suspects something is amiss!!!

I know it's SO hard to wait on these things! I'm the same way LOL!

Update: We're going to turn in two other applications tomorrow. No need to wait anymore for this guy. Danny SWEARS he won't just not call...but given past experiences, I just can't wait around, and have it fall through.

So, tomorrow finds us turning in two more apps.

Still no call, obviously...:grumpy:

Well, if you left a message and he wasn't home - maybe he was out doing something and hasn't had a chance!

He probably figures that you aren't going anywhere...... so he can take his sweet time.....

I hate people like that :grumpy:

:grumpy:Grrrr...that is soooo wrong on so many levels! I hate it when people don't call back.

Well, just look at it like this, if you don't get it, it wasn't meant to be and could have been bad for you. Like I always say, Please give it to me only if it is good for me.

Good luck! (hopefully, you'll hear from him today! :hug:

*Jackie

Ok...so I just called Shane, due to not hearing from him for DAYS, when he said he would call on Saturday. Danny asked me to call, so I did.

It's a no.

Needless to say, the guy was full of crap with his answer.

1. He kept saying Dennis instead of Danny (so he had Danny's name wrong).

2. He tried to say that the credit report just wasn't that great, too many small unpaid things, there are some things on there from utility companies, and they (after deliberating all weekend) just couldn't take the chance. To this, I said, "Ok...I'm confused...you said when we talked at the house that you understood things like that being on the credit and that you would work with us as far as more money down, etc. We were ready to offer to you an extra month's rent, to help allay those issues/worries, so that the month was already paid for."

To this, he replied that he had meant that if we had things that were late, but paid off...he could understand. He said that they didn't care about the FICA score, but more what was ON the credit.

He said that he didn't care about us paying ahead, as it was a year-long lease, so how would that help?

3. He said that there wasn't enough evidence of income, and that there was a check copy in there that was made out to some other person (he said an hispanic-type name), for a large amount, thus giving them the impression that we had a third partner who was getting most of the income. I explained that, first of all, my husband's name is Danny (not Dennis) so that could be part of the problem.

Second of all, that must have been from someone else's paperwork, because we do not have anyone with an hispanic name that works with us. I explained we DID have a former partner that has since signed off the partnership, but he only got 30% of the income, and now Danny and I get 100%...so it couldn't have been a check with our paperwork. I also said that in looking at the paperwork we gave him (since I have copies right here), both check copies we gave him had Danny's name on them.

To this, he replied, "Well, that aside, the credit is the real issue here. We just cannot lease the house to you."

I didn't even bother mentioning to him that the things that were on the credit were from us having to neglect things in order to pay the rent, that did he notice that we didn't have anything rent-related on the credit, no bankruptcies, etc (which was what he said were the ONLY things that would make him NOT want to lease to us, when we talked before at the house).

Bottom line: he's full of crap. His partner(s) decided they didn't want to rent to us, and don't have any good reason. It sounds to me that they got another applicant that had better credit, or a better bunch of paperwork to give them (judging by the hispanic check name and mixing up of paperwork), and thus they decided we weren't as good to rent to.

So, needless to say, I'm MAD right now...this screws ALL of our plans...and I'm really trying to remain calm, but feel like just going back to bed, and having a good long cry.

Obviously he didn't pay much attention to the data we gave him, or he would've KNOWN Danny's name was DANNY...not DENNIS.

:rant:

All that ranting aside, Danny and I have decided the following:

1. We will continue looking, handing out applications along with the MANY stellar references.

2. We will, from now on, hand them to someone IN PERSON, to alleviate any future problems like this.

3. I will make a whole setup that has cover papers for each section, explaining what's contained in each section, and everything will be stapled, and in an envelope with our name on it. No more accidentally mixing up someone else's paperwork with ours.

4. We will ask to sit down and explain everything in the paperwork, credit report, etc. so that they UNDERSTAND what happened with our credit.

5. We will start actively paying off things from recent to past...so that things get taken off our credit report. There are lots of small things, so we'll start handling those things to improve our credit report. And as we pay things off, we'll ask our friend to send us a new credit report. This step will also include taking my friend up on her offer to help us improve our credit, or checking online to figure it out. Anyone that has any helpful suggestions, please PM me (it would help a lot). Thank you!! :D

6. (And most importantly) We will keep our thoughts positive, and keep remembering that we DO deserve this, that Shane was a bit of a jerk in how this was handled and that he lied to us to begin with, and we will from now on make sure to have LOADS of applications and paperwork out there, to alleviate being in this situation in the future.

Right now, I'm not sure what we'll do as far as our plans...but I don't want to worry about that right at this moment. We will use the money Danny will get tomorrow to pay off a few things on the credit, to start the process of fixing things.

Hugs to all...

What a jerk! I've had things like that happen with me too... Ug...

I like your action plan. If you follow it, I bet you'll have a place in no time at all.

My mother would always tell me that when applying for a job, to hand out 100 resumes and to only expect a few people to get back to me. So I would not stop handing out applications, even if I had an interview, I would keep applying until I knew for sure I had a job.

When I look for places to live here, I will contact each and every advertisement I find. I was visiting at least three places a day for a couple weeks. The more places you look at and the more applications you put in, the higher your chances of finding an awesome place.

I have faith that you'll be in your new home by the new year!

--Dawn

Oh, I sure hope so, Dawn...about being moved by the New Year.

We're still going to get the trio from Laura's on the 18th (still have to talk to Danny about that one, but it'll be okay, I'm sure), and have them housed in Em's room until we move. Peg's okayed our delay of getting the boys :)()...so I know they're in a wonderful place, and being WELL taken care of.

I'm printing out tips on repairing credit, and I'm going to look at more house ads in a bit, to start flooding the house-renting market with applications. :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. Yes, I'm really sad about not getting the house...but it spurned Rosie into ACTION...so it can't be all bad...lol! :D

Outstanding bills on your credit report will mess you up every time.

Get that stuff out of the way if you can.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Outstanding bills on your credit report will mess you up every time.

Get that stuff out of the way if you can.
Yep, working on that...:D

I think with this, we'll be working on most recent to oldest (start out with most recent in paying people back).

That's a good plan. Also, look who you owe the least to. Sometimes you can knock out 2 small bills to 1 big one.

Ohhh Rosie! I'm so sorry to read all this. What a schmuck!

Glad to hear you have put together such a comprehensive plan! I'm impressed! (Whoa! Reminder to self... Don't ever get in Rosie's way! ) You go girl... You'll get a better place... I've got everything crossed for luck...

Thank you so much for your encouragement, guys! :)

Haha...one thing I'm noted for is my ability to bounce back and just handle what needs handling. :D

The most recently-added things total up to just over $250, so we'll kick those out as soon as we can, and that'll mean that the most recent things are at least a year ago, which will really help.

I've done some research online, and I've decided I'm going to do the following:

1. I noticed that the credit report has an incorrect listing as Danny's current employer, so I'm going to write to all three credit agencies, and have that information repaired.

2. I'm going to pay off the debts on the report from most-recent to oldest.

3. We're currently on Chex Systems, which is what you get put on when you don't pay an overdrafted bank account after a certain amount of time, that keeps you from being able to open any other bank accounts. We're going to open an account with a non-ChexSystems-using bank, so we have something to put in that "Bank Account Information" section of our applications.

4. We're going to look into getting a secured credit card, which is a credit card that is basically a prepaid credit card that reflects as a regular credit account on your credit report.

5. We're going to tackle the inquiries that are on our credit, to try to take all or some of them off, as they affect credit as well.

I noticed an entry on the credit report that not only do I not recognize, but neither does Danny, and I've found stuff online indicating it may be fraudulant, due to the very same thing showing on other people's reports, and it being fraudulant there, too. So, I'm going to write the appropriate letter to them, and get them to do what is outlined as legally required in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You can read more about it here.

Oh, not to mention the fact that we're going to have a whole presentation put together for applications, in a full-page sized envelope, and we're going to (A) be sure we meet them and hand in the paperwork in-person, (B) schedule at the same time the time to sit down and go over everything, and (C) we'll have coversheets with explanations of what each thing is in the whole set of paperwork. Everything will be explained, and we'll also verbally explain things...so nothing can be confused, and they cannot use any of Shane's excuses in the future. We're going to have our booties COVERED!!

I guess I should thank Shane for showing me how jerky people can be...lol...and for spurning me into action, and showing me just how we should put our paperwork together, and that we should just start repairing our credit NOW, so we can have a better score, and it can look better to potential leasors.

Hugs all!

Proactive Rosie* :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back