Rose Petals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
For some reason I keep thinking I saw a pic of a bunny eating a rose petal, but I just don't know where I would have seen it. Anyway, my mom has a rose bush out front and I was wondering, can bunnies eat rose petals? I never would think they would, because usually roses don't grow in the wild, and when they do they're up so high. Have you ever heard of bunnies eating rose petals? If they can, I don't think my bunnies would like them anyway, but I'd love to know. thanks!

Emily

Mine love them! They will eat the entire rose, I always make sure there are no thorns of course. They enjoy the center as much as the petals.

jan07allpics030.jpg

I think I'll have to get Errik to buy me roses now. I hate flowers and told Errik from the get go to never buy me flowers but if my buns like them....then get me flowers! :D

Not all flowers are safe, there are a lot in the toxic list, but roses are edible by rabbits, as the previous members have said (and showed!).

Marietta

Another yummy flower is the ones from dandelions, not the hairy flowers as I'm not too sure on those, but the yellow ones. My bunnies have always loved these.

Wow Becknutt! I guess you're right, lol. Thanks everyone for replying. Yeah definitley have to make sure all the thorns are off. That wouldn't be to swell if it cut them, or they ate it and they got hurt inside. eerrggh, gives me the jibbers just thinking about that.

Emily

Call me paranoid but I'd be scared to give roses from a bush that is treated with pesticides....

don't know about ones from a florist though..

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Call me paranoid but I'd be scared to give roses from a bush that is treated with pesticides....

Peg
Please don't feed roses to buns that have been treated. Later in the season is fine, but not after they've been treated, not sure of the time limit at all on this.

TinysMom wrote:

Peg
I agree, we only feed ours the roses we grow ourselves. No pesticides. We just rinse them off with plain old water before we bring them in the house.

what would you treat roses with. I have rose bushes but i dont put anything on them so i would assume that they are untreated right? I am way to paranoid about this,lol, I gave dandelions once but only after pulling up four sites that said it was ok. Then i gave it to them , and was so worried and stalking them the next couple of days making sure they were ok.lol.

I also get paranoid about urine and poop from a wild animal or bird on the flower that you might not see or bugs that you cant see, what about those things?

I never said my roses had pesticides, but yah I wouldn't feed them anything with pesticides, weed killer, any chemical at all. No way. I'd make sure that it wasn't sprayed and if I thought it was, then I would not feed them anything.

Emily

Those are good questions, IceQueen, unfortunately i have no idea! I'm wondering those same things as well.

I feed my bunnies dandelions and grass ONLY in the spring and summer. They don't get it in winter time, because there isn't good grass and stuff.

Emily

Don't feed your buns roses from the florist, those are greenhouse grown and sprayed on a regular basis. Roses are often sprayed with a cocktail of diffferent things, fungicides is a big one, and numerous insecticides. Some of those are systemic, and so stay in the plant, others are more organic, like sulphur, and don't. If you don't know if its been treated don't feed it. Rabbits love rose cuttings, and all kinds of bramble/raspberry bushes, and often make short work of the thorns as well. I often feed the soft new growth of the raspberry/thorn bushes to my rabbits, they really love that. Cottontails are often a real nuisance to rose growers as they will eat the rose bush right down to the ground.

Yeah...like i have stated before, I have my own rose bush and it's not sprayed. So I don't have to worry about the dangers of buying from a florist. Plus, I may get some new rose bushes and plant them just outside my window. I'll wash every part of them to make sure all the dust and anything else gets off before it grows into a big healthy bush to feed roses to my bunnies.

how long does it take for pesticides to come off rose plants? not saying mine has it, but just asking. Thanks

Emily

It depends on what particular chemical was used on them. Some, like one rose care product that Ortho makes contains Disulfoton, which is an organophosphate, think 'Diazanon', which was removed from the market because the of the damage it could cause to young nervous systems. Both have the ability to stay in the soil for a long time, and the Disulfoton is used as a systemic, mixed with fertilizer, nasty stuff.

Your best bet when growing roses is to try and grow roses that more non-spray, like the 'Knockout' series, or Rugosas, or Antique roses. Many Austins, Hybrid Musks, Shrubs etc can survive without spraying, I don't spray any thing anymore, but I no longer grow any Hybrid teas or Florabundas, their too prone to disease.

These are safe possibilities

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=41764

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=815

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5589

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=41146

There's lots more, but this is a start, this is a great site-

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php?tab=1

Latest posts

Back