Rose Petals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to make you paranoid or anything, but you feed hay, right? How clean do you think the growers can keep their fields, and how free of bugs, varmints, animals, dust, etc?
So why be paranoid about veggies and flowers? At least you can wash and rinse those after you pick or buy them. That should take care of the things you worry about.
And unless you buy organic hay, those fields are probably sprayed as well.
I do agree about not buying flowers from a florist, though. Since those are not ment to be eaten, they are treated with much more agressive pesticides etc. than vegetables for consumption can be treated with.

theicequeen99121 wrote:
what would you treat roses with. I have rose bushes but i dont put anything on them so i would assume that they are untreated right? I am way to paranoid about this,lol, I gave dandelions once but only after pulling up four sites that said it was ok. Then i gave it to them , and was so worried and stalking them the next couple of days making sure they were ok.lol.

I also get paranoid about urine and poop from a wild animal or bird on the flower that you might not see or bugs that you cant see, what about those things?

Thanks Bramblerose!

Hazel, yup i feed my rabbits hay. It's fresh, organic stuff that comes straight from....well the farm store, lol. Yeah I don't really worry about the hay, unless it's moldy, dirty, etc. and then of course it's not fed. And I wash all veggies, fruits, including grasses and flowers, just to be safe.

Emily

There are certain pesticides/herbicides which are used on ornamental plants such as roses which are not labelled for use on vegetable/foodstuffs. Some of them are quite nasty and stay in the plants tissues for a long time, washing the roses first will not remove them. In theory anything used on edibles is supposed to be short lived and dissapate or be washable. Of course it doesn't always work that way, and yes there can be residuals in hay, on veggies etc, but not in the levels that you'll most likely find in ornamentals. As I stated before many chemicals used on roses are systemics, and made to remain in the plant. Its a different situation than chemicals used on food plants.

I give dried pink rose buds, red and white clover flower, calendula petals, fresh green clover, wheat grass, chamomile, and dandelion.
Of course they are all organic , clean and or dried.

Latest posts

Back