(RIP) Thor-possible staff infection? I am goign to lose it right about now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is something I read from Dr Lucy Hansen

Abscesses that don't burst can remain in status quo for many months or years with no ill effects to the rabbit. Sometimes the remaining bacteria continue to multiply slowly with an increase in abscess size, but any deterioration in the rabbit's health or nutritional status may allow large numbers of bacteria to build up and eventually overpower the local defence mechanisms and escape to cause widespread infection.

One particularly unpleasant scenario that sometimes occurs is when the bacteria that have escaped settle in different locations around the body and cause new abscesses to form. This is called "seeding" and the doses of antibiotics required to penetrate multiple abscesses that cannot be reached surgically would cause the rabbit major side effects without much hope of success. Sadly, the only humane option if this occurs is euthanasia.

I am soo sorry about little Thor. Please give him a hug for me. I'm praying for you at this time. I'm so sorry to hear this. )':

This morning Thor was full of love and spirit...uh and lots of healthy poops. He followed me around the room as I got ready for work and nudging me for attention. I made myself late to work just so I can lay on the floor and spoil him with his favorite-HEAD SCRATCHES and lots of nose kisses. He pushes his head into my face so he can receive his morning smooches and eskimo kisses. He ate 1 full cup of pellets last night with steel oats and a huge plate of veggies. I filled it up again this morning and he was woofing it down as I walked out the door.

Darn I know exactly how you are feeling. Paddington was doing so well, now her whole side of her face is swollen up. She is still eating and pooing and happy. I don't know if it a reaction to the honey, the abcess is closed again. I like you may be facing a very hard and sad weekend. Prayer are with you.
Alma

His swab went to US Davis lab in Turlock and I keep checking to see if it was received yet. It is much cheaper to send a swab in on your own rather than the vet where they X10 the cost. I also emailed them to keep an eye out for it and to provide immidiate results via phone. They are so nice there, she said she is waiting for it to be delivered and will process STAT. The Culture costs $14 and sensitivity is $25. If the vet sent it in from here (not Dr Fox in Turlock) it would have been well over $100. My trip to Dr Fox is a one time trip since he is so far from me and I am unable to take the time off of work to drive back and forth. It's about a 1.5 hour drive almost a 4 hour round trip. UG! So I am getting all the testing done prior to seeing him. I can't wait to get home from work today so I can cuddle my boy and love on him as much as I can.

Thank you Larry:)

Thank you Pipp

I got home to a happy bunny and I have not found another:pray:

I gave him his Pen G and a quick baby bath of his upper body and belly. He didn't like it but didn't fuss too much once he realized I was helping him and getting him clean, he ws calm. He must have wanted it over with though because he assisted in the cleaning. LOL I know they just have to start grooming themselves when they feel wet, but I would like to think he was helping.

The lab contacted me letting me know they received it and as expected I have a 48 hour waiting period to see if anything grows and if something does, I will need to wait another 48 hours. I am taking him to Barbi tomorrow to help me lance these other abcsesses and he will stay there for treatment until his test results come back. She is very close to Dr Fox so she will be taking him for me. When your funds are low you have to make things work. The drive alone is a lot of gas so she is a life saver. He does very well there. I had to take him there when this all started becasue I could not back out of a family camping trip. I could not leave him home expecting my BF to properly care for him. This was before the abcsesses started though. So as of tomorrow he will be staying and be treated by "Auntie Barbi" I feel very fortunate to have a good relationship with such a well known breeder and caregiver. She only charges me $5 a day. For all that care that she will be giving, I am saving myself from self destructing stress due to finaces and a sick rabbit. I feel that I am doing all that I can for my big baby. Barbi says she wishes they were all like Thor, so willing to let people help him. We have both had our fingers up in his mouth to feel for oral abcsesses and not once has he ever bit down. I am so proud of Thor, he has put up with so much in the past 3 weeks. He knows we are trying to make him better. At least I would like to think he does.

I am sorry to share that Thor has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I am sure that it would be appreciated if you would share your condolances here.

Binky free sweetie....you were so handsome.

Latest posts

Back