(RIP) Thor-possible staff infection? I am goign to lose it right about now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Must_Love_Pets

Reaction score
Seeing that I came home only to find yet another abcess forming on the other side of his neck now, I can only assume I am now dealing with a staff infection. I am swabbing to morrow to overnight to my lab so I will know soon. I am at a loss as to how to feel other than I want to just curl up in a ball with Thor and cry mu eyes out for days upon days. he will be going to Dr. Fox in Stockton to see what options I have at this point. CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!
:bigtears:

From what I know head abscesses always have a nasty habit of spreading and returning, I don't think it has to be a staph infection to so that.

The usual treatment is aggressive Bicillin injections combo'd with an oral and keeping at it for up to three months, so I think you would have a ways to go regardless.

How long have you been giving him the PenG and is he getting anything else?

sas :clover:

Pen G, Bene-Bac (PO), gas drops, flushing with peroxide and cleaning with Vanodine. He is eating his pelets, steel oats, parcley, basil, mint, and apple. Drinking plenty of water. He was not eating before and if he did it wasn't much becasue the abcess was in an odd place and was making it difficult to swollow. Which is why we started him on the Pen G. It worked but now we have more. I am in high hopes it's just spreading because of the location. Still we have a long way to go if there is any hope at all. He needs to survive the antibiotics whatever he may be on or put on. Uggggggg

I think you need more than PenG to be honest. Bicillin and an oral like Zithromax or Chlor Palm (here in Canada) traditionally have worked a lot better than PenG alone.

I've never had anybunny with bad reactions to it.

Packing the wounds with gauze or beads may also be an option.

Do you know why he's getting the abscesses? How did they start?

Yay that he's eating and drinking!

sas :clover:

It started 2 weeks ago when I saw his cheek was swelling and he was not eating I had posted what was happening. I had initially started him on LA-200. He ws finished with that round and you can no longer see nor feel any type of swelling. A few day's later was feeling a bit warm so there it was an abcess up under his neck thats when we started him on the Pen G. Then another popped up under his arm on his side, that one was ready to lance. The one on his neck was not ready and still isn't.

I completely agree about meds. This happened very rapidly after the Peg G. Before the Peg G we were just dealing with 1 abcess. Then another popped up that I have been waiting to come to a head to lance it. Past 2 days 2 more are forming. I have no clue how he got them, there were no puncture's anywhere. I thought maybe he had a scuffle with one of my cats when I was not looking, but once again no punture woulds big or small.He is in a very clean
enviorement.It is a mystery.

Tomorrow I am sending a swab into the lab.

I really don't know a ton about absecces-haven't dealt with them personally and hope not to anytime soon~or ever..
Just wanted to say that I'm praying for you and Thor! I know how panicky I get with my bunnies, and they really don't even have to *do* anything. When they actually are sick, I freak out.

I lost Jar Jar from something like this - all I can say is - I would take him to a vet ASAP for stronger meds and to possibly get the abscess surgically removed.

I wish I'd taken Jar Jar sooner instead of trying to take care of it myself with Pen-G. Maybe I would still have him.

Well, as far as dealing with abcess's, we had Peace's surgically removed a little over 2 and a half months ago and, luckily, nothing seems to be returning. So could having them surgically removed be an option? While the beads were not the best option for where Peace had his (It was in his hock), they may be an option for Thor's...

Sorry I can't offer more advice. Thinking of you guys...

Well his swab went off to the lab this morning so we will see exactly what we are dealing with. He is going to see Dr Fox as soon as we get the results.

Keep your fingers crossed it is not staph.

4 ABSCESSES!!! I am going out of my mind. If I find another when I get home from work I am going to seriously flip my lid.

Thank you everyone for thinking of Thor, he needs lots of positive thinking right now. Pray for thos nasty things to be gone or easily delt with.

We are testing for the following

Pasturella, Pseaudomonas, Staph, Strep, E-Coli and Bordatella

I can't concentrate at work rigfht now, I can't stop thinking about Thor and waiting for his results.

UUUGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

:in tears::tears2::panic::nerves1:pullhair::bigtears::bawl::cry1::cry4::cry2:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Apparently I am overwhelmed with emotion right now. I can't imagine our family without him.

I came home to a 5th abscess tonight. I am a crying mess right now. I can't put him through this. I feel the worst and will have to put him to sleep this weekend. I think his whole body is just riddled with these and are out of control. I think he is beyond anitobiotic treatment. Agressive antibiotic treament and dealing with all these abscesses will kill him painfully.

Latest posts

Back