RIP SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH SOOTY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flashy wrote:
I had to make a similar decision with Sweep (who had an abdominal mass). Did I put him through the surgery and risk a half life, or did I allow him a comfortable, happy time and then help him cross to the bridge (those were my options, that is not a reflection on what your options are). The decision I made was based solely on what I thought was best for Sweep. I debated it for days, and each day he was alive I debated it more. It was truly horrible, but when he died I knew in my heart of hearts I had made the right decision for him, and had no regrets at all. All you can do is do what you think is best for Sooty, that's all. If you do what you think is best for him, then you can't go wrong. Yes, all the way along you will debate and reconsider whatever you decide, but if at each time you think what is best for Sooty, then you won't go wrong. Go with your gut instinct.

Has Sooty had tests and stuff to identify anything further about the mass?
This couldn't be said better ....

>>>>I think that by "mass" you mean a tumor

Is that the impression that the vet gave?

and that if it isn't a tumor (mass) that it is a obstruction from a slowed down gut .>>>>>

yes Angieluv that is what i meant ,lol

They are going to do SMA profile (major) and a CBC to check if it is anything else. They are going to re xray after fluids and force feeding to see if anything changes.

The estimate of the bill is a little over 800.00 already.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
>>>>I think that by "mass" you mean a tumor

Is that the impression that the vet gave?

and that if it isn't a tumor (mass) that it is a obstruction from a slowed down gut .>>>>>

yes Angieluv that is what i meant ,lol

They are going to do SMA profile (major) and a CBC to check if it is anything else. They are going to re xray after fluids and force feeding to see if anything changes.

The estimate of the bill is a little over 800.00 already.
Is this vet really rabbit knowledeable?

yes she is, as far as i can tell i really like her and am real comfortable with her. She is also the type of person that tells you like it is, if she doesnt feel for something she will let you know and not dance around it.

I felt bad asking you that because you have enough concerns right now but I just hoped that she could differentiate between a tumor and an obstruction

this could still be just a blockage that can be corrected over time...

just hang in there "hugs"
Maureen

ok just got a call from the vet and they got his blood work back and the blood work is confirming what she thought initially. He is anemic which she says he is probablly bleeding into his stomach with the mass, something else is elevated which leads her to believe that there is a tumor on his liver also. Something else on his blood work confirmed to that this is a tumor.

So now here is where i have to decide what to do, i hate this and i dont want to make this decision, he will be the first animal that i have ever had to make the decision for and it is absolutely killing me. I dont want to put him through a surgery where it is just going to be a horrible stuggle for him, i cant do that to him. hard to type through tears. How long do i let him suffer if he isnt eating or pooping?

how can yesterday he be fine , eating and pooping and today he is so bad, i dont understand. What about Belle? oh i cant deal with this

Geez I am so very very sorry for you ...
If it was my bun I would have him put to sleep to be kind and also because he probably wouldn't recover from the surgery

I am so sorry that you are in this position :(

Is there an urgent need to make any decisions immediately? Can you maybe discuss care to make him comfortable at home?

You sound like you know what is best for him already, and no one will dispute that because you know him better than anyone and you know what he can and can't tolerate and what is in his best interests.

Are he and Belle bonded?

Oh this is terrible. I'm guessing he hid it from you because that's what rabbits do, especially with cancers. I don't know what to say. If this seems to be a question of whether to put him to sleep or not, I would recommend getting a second opinion just to be very sure that it is in fact a tumor and not an intestinal obstruction. I'm so sorry. [[hugs]]

He is on pain meds and fluids right now as far as i know. I dont want to bring him home if he is suffering in pain, i dont want him to suffer it is not what i want for him. To get a second opinion i would have to wait for an appointment after finding another vet, if it was something that i thought he could wait and be ok then i might but he must be in pain and i dont want to prolong his suffering anymore. I am afraid that making him comfortable at home would me sitting around waiitn for him to die, or being paranoid of waking and finding him dead.

Could you maybe go and see him? He might tell you what he wants? Some buns might want to come home for a while (however short) some might be tired of fighting and be ready to go then.

To be honest, I really do think it sounds like you know what is best for him. It will be horrendous for you, but it's the right decision. Whatever is best for him, is right. Go with your heart.

So it's a tumor then?:nerves1

I think, like Flashy said, that if you go and see him you might be able to figure out what he wants. :hug:

i am going to go see him in a few minutes. The poor people at the vet office i have already cried when talking to two of them,lol

I would get the baby simethicone for him, it comes in a liquid and you don't have to mess with tablets at all. Sometimes you cn get the baby gas drops in the same aisle with adult gas meds, or they might be in the baby aisle.

Oh no, Fran, I'm so sorry. I read this earlier and was really hoping it would just be gas. I'm so shocked to come back and see this... :tears2:

I don't know what else to say except I'm thinking of you.... You know you can PM me if you want to talk...

:hug: to you and Sooty....

Latest posts

Back