RIP SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH SOOTY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I get up this morning and there is a small pile of his cecal, i am pretty sure it was his cecal, and there was pee on the carpet part of his run, which isnt too unusual but there was two spots and one looks like a trail and not a spot.

Yesterday everything was normal he ate his veggies, and his pellets last night, and he had hay. THis morning when i came down he was just sitting there and not at the front of the pen acting like he was dying for food. I put the food in this mor ning and he didnt go near it, and like i said he didnt eat his cecal last night, and i put in fresh hay and he hasnt touched it, i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want anyghint to happen to him someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First take a deep breath. Calm down. Try some veggies. Try snacks. See if there is anything he might want to take from you. Feel his stomech. Is he active? Does he look like he is in pain? How is Belle acting with him?

I can't tell you to much because I am limited to what I know. I would call a vet and explain what is going on. I do know that you have to stay calm.

ETA: I am off to work text me if anything. I am there if you need me. :hug:

How old is Sooty? He's a mini-lop, right?

Is he molting?

If he's peeing and pooping even cecals you're ahead of the game. Can you clean out his box and closely monitor his pee and poop? See if he's straining to pee, and see if he's pooping normal poops as well as cecals.

It's probably just a temporary tummy upset. Is he pressing his tummy to the floor at all? Does he seem uncomfortable?

Is he drinking?

Make sure he's warm, first off. You can listen for unusual gut sounds if you know what they usually sound like.

Is he favoring any body part? Is he moving around at all? And is he walking and hopping normally when he does?

I'd also keep an eye on the bladder in case its a Urinary Tract Infection. (Has his pee seemed normal lately?)

Heat, hydration, gas meds and tummy rubs are a good start if you don't think anything is wrong injury-wise.

You can try gas meds and tummy rubs. (I find that if mine really seem to appreciate the tummy rubs if it's gas).

Can you get him drinking fluids (willingly) out of a syringe if you spike it with a little juice?

Just don't stress out, it's not necessary, probably nothing serious, and it will just raise his stress.

PS: Stock up on the canned pumpkin.

PPS: The best thing for him to eat is hay, but you can tempt him with water soaked parsley and other herbs which are good for tummy upsets. But don't try and load him up with treats. If he ate his dinner last night, he's good for quite awhile.

sas :bunnydance:

How old is Sooty? He's a mini-lop, right? He about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years, i got him from the spca so it was a guess at his age when i got him and he is a mini lop

Is he molting? no molting

If he's peeing and pooping even cecals you're ahead of the game. Can you clean out his box and closely monitor his pee and poop? See if he's straining to pee, and see if he's pooping normal poops as well as cecals. He now has a nice clean box filled with hay and so far there is nothing, the only pee and cecals are what i came down to find this morning.

It's probably just a temporary tummy upset. Is he pressing his tummy to the floor at all? Does he seem uncomfortable?
he did lay flat once earlier but right now as i type he is just sitting there normally.

Is he drinking? as of since i been up he hasnt had anything to drink

Make sure he's warm, first off. You can listen for unusual gut sounds if you know what they usually sound like. I was petting him and touched his ears and they seem fine in temp, i dont know what he usually sounds like unfortunately he isnt a "hold me and feel me up bunny" lol

Is he favoring any body part? Is he moving around at all? And is he walking and hopping normally when he does? he did hop away from me and into the cage earlier when i was trying to play doctor and feel him and he looked fine when he was hopping

I'd also keep an eye on the bladder in case its a Urinary Tract Infection. (Has his pee seemed normal lately?) yes as far as i can tell, when i was soaking the pee up off the floor, carpet, it was normal like any other accident i have had to clean up

Heat, hydration, gas meds and tummy rubs are a good start if you don't think anything is wrong injury-wise. lol this is going to be a challenge with him he hates to be held,lol, gas meds i know it is the symethoc-something that you can give kids right? how much and how often.

You can try gas meds and tummy rubs. (I find that if mine really seem to appreciate the tummy rubs if it's gas).

Can you get him drinking fluids (willingly) out of a syringe if you spike it with a little juice? what kind of juice should i do it with?

Just don't stress out, it's not necessary, probably nothing serious, and it will just raise his stress. too late,lol i even took a deep breath like Ali said and it didnt help,lol

It is really important to appear calm, even if inside you are a mess because that can potentially stress him out more, and actually make him problems appear worse than they are.

Take several deep breaths. Force your muscles to relax, and keep reminding yourself that you need to relax for Sooty. We are here with you.

ok so while "trying" to rub his belly, i think he saw it as an attack on him lol, he did let out two poops, one smaller then his normal and one normal. He ate two crasins, but i have offered him his veggies, pumpkin, apple and he wants no parts of it. I am pretty sure it is gas because he does keep stretching out. Belle is itching to get out of her cage and to him but i am afraid that all she will do is aggravate him by mounting him. Is it ok to keep trying to rub h is belly if he keeps running, is running good for him to move the gas?

Exercise is good, yup. So are vibrations. Like plopping him on the dryer or rubbing his tummy with a vibrating toothbrush or massage tool.

Simethicone should be the main ingredient in the gas meds. Anything like Gas-X or Milanta or whatever. I find berry-flavored tablets to be quite popular with the buns in this house -- not that any med is 'popular'.

If the suspension is normal -- 40 or 60 mg -- I give mine a quarter to a half tablet once an hour for three hours and wait and see how he is.

At some point he may actually figure out he likes the tummy rubs. Just be gentle.

Don't worry about no poops, there may not be any for hours just on a natural cycle.

sas :bunnydance:

Just one a side note, I would keep an eye on the URI possibility that Pipp already mentioned because Candyfloss presented in a similar way with her cystitis.

I hope Sooty comes round soon.

x

i have a question about the tablets, are you suppose to crush them down and water them to give them to him or cut up a tab and see if he eats it that way?

Nutri Cal, Nutri Cal, Nutri Cal! I always give Nutri Cal at the first sign of stasis. Over the years in dealing with a number of cases of stasis, I have had nothing that has been more effective in supportive treatment than Nutri Cal.

Pam

do they make Nurti Cal for rabbits, i see it for cats and dogs? if he can get the cat or dog one how much would he get?

i have a 1230 appointment with his vet, he needs his teeth trimmed anyway so i am using this as an excuse to ease my mind some more,lol.

Still no eating, but he did pee a little on my carpet, and when i soaked it up it is normal looking in color, and a few poops here and there. I was able to rub his tummy a little after him trying to get away from me for some time, i guess he figured i was determined to rub his bunny belly,lol. He seems to be uncomfortable, he stretches out then right back up then out again, like he cant get comfy.

I want to rule out nothing more serious since he is a little older too, pray it is nothing more then gas.

It might be worth asking the vet to check how his bladder feels. That sounds very much like Candyfloss's cystitis. She didn't have any abnormal urine colouring or any blood in it because I caught it quick. I do think it's good you got a vets appointment. Please let us know how it goes. :)

x

not good :*(

The doctor felt his stomach and everything down there and she felt a hard mass, took xrays and it was hard to tell, and she couldnt stretch him out to get the xray. There is gas in the intestine, she was calling it an illis, or illias something like that. Basically what i am getting she really seems to think that it is a mass and not a blockage. What we are doing now is he is getting sub q fluids and being force fed and will be in the hospital for about 3-4 days but we will re evaluate in 24 hours she said that if it is a blockage we should see a difference with the treatment in that time.

If it is a mass there is the option of operating but Sooty doesnt tolerate anesthesia well, and she said that rabbits really do have a hard time recovering from that kind of surgery. So what is my option???????? Euthing him? This is not fair, i havent had him long enough, he had a crappy start to life and now i might have to do this to him? I am devestated right now and everytime the phone rings my heart is going to hit the floor, i have a migraine from crying

i dont know

I'm so sorry. What a nightmare to go through-something I have been through with one of mine (or similar).

Right now, you can make whatever decision you think is best for Sooty. Take some time, have a think, and don't make any knee jerk decisions unless there is a need for one (like if somehting changes and he gets worse).

My PM box is open if you need a chat/listening ear/vent or anything.

x

Thank you i am sitting here trying to think of what i might do which makes me cry even more. I dont want to have to make that decision, i will forever what if myself on it, but i dont want him to suffer, so putting him through a surgery where it would nothing but an uphill battle for him is not somet hing i want to do to him.

I'm reallyreally sorry :(

I think that by "mass" you mean a tumor

Is that the impression that the vet gave?

and that if it isn't a tumor (mass) that it is a obstruction from a slowed down gut .

try to calm down a little as it's possible that it is just a slowed down gut and not a mass
Wait until you hear from the vet :pray::pray::pray:
it might turn out better than you are thinking
although I ,too, would be upset (hugs)

Maureen

I had to make a similar decision with Sweep (who had an abdominal mass). Did I put him through the surgery and risk a half life, or did I allow him a comfortable, happy time and then help him cross to the bridge (those were my options, that is not a reflection on what your options are). The decision I made was based solely on what I thought was best for Sweep. I debated it for days, and each day he was alive I debated it more. It was truly horrible, but when he died I knew in my heart of hearts I had made the right decision for him, and had no regrets at all. All you can do is do what you think is best for Sooty, that's all. If you do what you think is best for him, then you can't go wrong. Yes, all the way along you will debate and reconsider whatever you decide, but if at each time you think what is best for Sooty, then you won't go wrong. Go with your gut instinct.

Has Sooty had tests and stuff to identify anything further about the mass?

Latest posts

Back