RIP: Bunny Found Dumped Outside Petsmart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

Reaction score
Hello. As I said in Introductions, I am trying to find a home for a beautiful, friendly rabbit that someone dumped outside the petstore I work at. I would love to keep him, but unfortunately on a part time job, I can't afford him and my other animals.

He was left just outside the door in his tiny, filthy cage(since scrubbed clean the best I can), with a bag of food in 102f weather. A lovely lady let me know the rabbit was there, and we brought him in and I decided I would take him in to find him a forever home. His gender is actually unknown, but we've been calling him a 'he', obviously. I've also been calling him 'Lavi' for the time being.

The shelters would not take him because he is a 'stray' and if I surrender him to Toronto Animal Services, my name would be blacklisted from adopting from them. :(

So far in his time in my home, he's been very friendly, although a little lacking in manners(humps, haha). He has not once nipped or bitten, and spends his entire time out binkying and bouncing all over.

Here is a picture of him:

DSC03663.jpg

If anyone would like to give him a home, or knows of anyone who would like to, please contact me(though PM or my email; Scythegasmic at gmail dot com). I am going to try and figure out his real gender soon, however I'm VERY inexperienced with bunnies and I will need to wait on a friend to come over and help me with that.

Thank you for your time. :) Please wish me luck finding him a forever home.

Good for you! We need more people like you in the world. :D

Good luck with finding him a home- I'm sure there'll be many people wanting to adopt such a gorgeous bun.

Jen

What a little cutie! We had the same situation happen to us last year. Someone left a bunny in a cardboard box outside of the Petco that we do adoption events at. Fortunately, we were able to take the bunny at that time. If you explained the situation, maybe they wouldn't blacklist you?

Maybe, but I think I would feel better finding him a home myself? I'm a little bit attached to his personality, he's very sweet. (Plus, someone told me they take animals from the Toronto Animal Service to the University and who knows what they do to them there and that scares me a little... But I don't know if it's true.)

slavetoabunny wrote:
What a little cutie! We had the same situation happen to us last year. Someone left a bunny in a cardboard box outside of the Petco that we do adoption events at. Fortunately, we were able to take the bunny at that time. If you explained the situation, maybe they wouldn't blacklist you?

That's how I got my Benji- he was dumped in a box outside the vets I worked at. In terrible condition. Needed an emergency neuter and stitches in his ears. :grumpy

Jen

With the exception of vet care, rabbits are very inexpensive pets. :)

Check out this article.

Supporting Your Rabbits In Tough Time$

Please ask all the questions you need to on the board. Hopefully we can help make this work so you can keep him.

(Too bad the sale on cube shelving panels ended today at Canadian Tire, they're great for cages, pens and bunny proofing).

Maybe the rescue can list him for adoption and allow you to foster him in the meantime?

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
(Too bad the sale on cube shelving panels ended today at Canadian Tire, they're great for cages, pens and bunny proofing).

Garage sales are great for them, if you can find them. You will probably not spend more than $5-10 for a set, but there can be one then one set being sold.

Unfortunately, I really cant keep him. I don't have room, and there are already four animals living in my bedroom right now. I can't afford to get him speutered(I need 2/3 rats neutered as it is).

If I could, I would, because it breaks my heart someone would do that to him. Just the best I can do right now is find him a home where people are gonna treat him like he deserves to be.

If you go through a rescue, they should get a good discount on the neuter and hopefully be able to cover the cost and help rehome him while you foster him.

He'll be easier to rehome once he's neutered and of course the rescue will agree it's more responsible to adopt him out that way.

Then a fairly aggressive ad campaign should get him a home with an adoption fee to help the rescue to cover the neuter. It's the best case scenario for the rescue as well. There won't be a possibility of more little rabbits reproduced by this guy and with you fostering him in the meantime, it won't tax their already over-taxed foster or shelter housing system.

Does the pet store you work at sell rabbits? If they don't, then that would be a good outlet to let people know he exists. The biggest thing about pet stores, craigslist or anything else is that people 'sell' them with little regard to the quality of the home and little or no education on what to expect or how to care for them. You can certainly overcome those issues and make sure he's going to a great home, and you can truthfully vouch for his personality and behaviour, which should be a plus as well.

I'd contact the rescues.

Oh wow so this is the cute lil guy...replied to your post in introductions....he's just a gorgeous guy...i don't know how someone can just dump an animal like that...so sad.

Good luck in finding him a home..

I am from southern Michigan and I am absolutely in love with his picture! I wish I were closer I would take him in, in a heartbeat! seriously wish I lived closer, I wouldn't mind living in canada myself but that's a whole 'nother rant eh!

Pipp wrote:
Well, it's not that far to Michigan, is it? Maybe we can arrange a transport. :)

sas :bunnydance:
Im sure there are all kinds of issues you run into when bringing an animal across the borders. but this may be something I should look into!

is there any kind of update on this little "guy" just out of curiosity, about how hes doing!

I would be happy to help with the transport. If someone got him from Scarborough to Hamilton, I would be glad to get him across the border to Buffalo/Western NY.

thanks for all the wonderful offers, though when it comes down to it its up to scythe! I hope this little guy finds a perfect home!

I have a sneakin' suspicion that somebody fell in love with somebunny and the little guy may not be going anywhere.

Here's hoping there's a new bunny slave in the world.

sas :)

i'll adopt him if he gets along with other rabbits. i just need to wait till the end of this month then i can take him in, i just need for someone to get him here, cause i do not have a car. i can pay an adoption fee if you prefer.

i live in the north part of north bay

Back