Ringo and his Ongoing Story of Hope

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Ali, it can just be so terribly difficult taking care of a special needs rabbit, can't it...because the question is always there...'am I doing the right thing for him'. But even moreso, seeinga beloved petstruggling can be extremely draining, bothemotionally and physically. You have gone above and beyond for Ringo from day one because of your love for him, and no wonder; he is such a darling little boy.

Iwould suggest that what you do is determine how much quality of life he still has. Obviously he still does enjoy life and does still enjoy the three A's...my suggestion of assessment at this point would be that if his episodes begin to outweigh the good times,if he cannot maintain equilibrium and seems to be suffering from it, and if he cannot be made comfortable enough to continue enjoying his life, then you might need to decide whether it is worth it for him to continue.

When I was dealing with Raph, he had good days and bad days. Good days were him being alert and active (despite his inability to move or sit up unassisted), and him expressing his usual 'give me my dinner, I'm hungry!' or his stretched out and sighing as I rubbed his face and ears, and gave him body massages, and bobbing his head up and down excitedly when he would see me or Anna. His bad days consisted of my being able to see pain in his eyes, or his appetite waning somewhat, and of sporadic full-body muscle spasms...and those days tore me to pieces. And having (briefly) owned a rabbit with head tilt a long time ago, I can understand how heartwrenching it is to see Ringo when he has an episode. With Raph though, my emotions were on a constant roller coaster ride, and I questioned myself constantly because I did not want to see him suffer in any way, or prolong his life because I couldn't let go. I found it difficult to know what the right decision was, especially during the first few months - and esp. with others around me saying that he needed to be put down. But I decided that Raph would let me know when it was time...through his eyes and through the measurement of how much time was quality time vs. 'bad days'.

And I know this will be a hard factor as well, but you do have to consider your own emotional limits. One thingI learned from Raph - and this will sound very odd, but he somehow communicated this to me not long before he left this world - is that these special needs rabbits understand completely what we are going through in caring for them. They feel the love that we hold for them, and they know that their human is doing everything they can to keep them comfortable, safe, and loved. But they are also acutely aware of our own emotional suffering, and if the decision to let them go is made, they are okay with it, and they understand completely. That is what Raph 'told' me in my final hours with him, when I held his little body and rocked him on the swingset in the backyard. It gave me a great deal of peace during a time when I was constantly questioning myself, and was wrestling with an extremely hard decision.

I wish I had something better to suggest, or some sage words of advice. Truthfully though, it is such a personal thing, a relationship between a human and their little charge. As an outsider looking in, just reading what you wrote about Ringo suggests to me that hemay still enjoying hislife. If the rolling cannot be controlled enough so he can continue to enjoy himself, then you will need to determine that.But only you can tell for sure...you and Ringo.

My heart truly goes out to you...though I do know that whatever you decide to follow with Ringo, you will be making the decision that is right for him. He chose you to be his 'mom' with good reason...and he is extremely blessed.

(((HUGE HUGS))) for Ringo and for you....:hug2:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh gosh. I am so sorry this is getting so bad. I think when they are happy, and alert and all that - it's so much harder to know what to do.

I will say this: Ringo has had a far better, much longer, extremely loved little life since you took him. You gave him all you could and more! When you know for sure - keep with you that he didn't suffer alone, or uncared for and that his life meant a lot to others. He has touched so many people all over the world.

*hugs*

I know that in my head but my heart feels like I am letting him down.Right now he was running around. Than stopped and ate some of his pumpkin and oats. Now he is sleeping in his litter pan again.

I have been watching him all day. For the most part he sleeps, he runs around alittle.5 rolling episodes since 7am.

angieluv wrote:
I am wondering if you would consider getting someone to come into your place while you are at work to check on him? Would that be possible?

maybe post more often for support :hug:
You're a wonderful bunny mom!!!:)

I wish but one of the things I hate is I have no one here. My family is a good half hour as is my husbands. We work the same hours, we aren't away from him more than 9hours at most. When he is really bad my brother comes and stays with us to keep and eye on him. Gotta love a brother like that.

That is why I posted it. I couldn't anymore and I knew everyone here would stand by me.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Oh no, I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. :( I wish there was something I could do to make it better for you! I know that Ringo is so lucky to have you. He gets so much love and care, I don't think that he could have ended up in a better home.

I really, really hope that things improve for him and you don't have to think about that decision, but if you do, you know that we are all here to support you no matter what, and we all think you're an amazing bunny mum.

I'm keeping you and Ringo in my thoughts :hug:

xx

Thanks that support is the best thing you could give me.

An hes eatting again. :p

polly wrote:
I am so sorry Alicia its a decision I had to make with Dido and it was a horrific decison to make but at the end of the day i felt it was unfair to him as I couldn't be on hand to take care of him because of work.

No matter which decision you end up making just bear in mind his life with you is wonderful and you are acting in his best interests. not many would go through what you have with him :hug:
Thanks. It helps to have people who understand.

Bassetluv wrote:
Oh Ali, it can just be so terribly difficult taking care of a special needs rabbit, can't it...because the question is always there...'am I doing the right thing for him'. But even moreso, seeinga beloved petstruggling can be extremely draining, bothemotionally and physically. You have gone above and beyond for Ringo from day one because of your love for him, and no wonder; he is such a darling little boy.
When we brought him home it was up to us that he got the best care possible. Nothing but the best that we could give him.
Iwould suggest that what you do is determine how much quality of life he still has. Obviously he still does enjoy life and does still enjoy the three A's...my suggestion of assessment at this point would be that if his episodes begin to outweigh the good times,if he cannot maintain equilibrium and seems to be suffering from it, and if he cannot be made comfortable enough to continue enjoying his life, then you might need to decide whether it is worth it for him to continue.
That is what I keep weighing do his bad days outnumber his good. That he rolls everyday. Yes but how does he react to it. Does he stop or does he get up and take off running. Yes he has rolled today but he is still his piggy speed demon but lazy self.
When I was dealing with Raph, he had good days and bad days. Good days were him being alert and active (despite his inability to move or sit up unassisted), and him expressing his usual 'give me my dinner, I'm hungry!' or his stretched out and sighing as I rubbed his face and ears, and gave him body massages, and bobbing his head up and down excitedly when he would see me or Anna. His bad days consisted of my being able to see pain in his eyes, or his appetite waning somewhat, and of sporadic full-body muscle spasms...and those days tore me to pieces. And having (briefly) owned a rabbit with head tilt a long time ago, I can understand how heartwrenching it is to see Ringo when he has an episode. With Raph though, my emotions were on a constant roller coaster ride, and I questioned myself constantly because I did not want to see him suffer in any way, or prolong his life because I couldn't let go. I found it difficult to know what the right decision was, especially during the first few months - and esp. with others around me saying that he needed to be put down. But I decided that Raph would let me know when it was time...through his eyes and through the measurement of how much time was quality time vs. 'bad days'.
I have known for a long time Ringo would be quality of life vs quantity of life and it hurt. I am in so much agony when he rolls but than he does something like this[/ur] and I know there is still hope.http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38351&forum_id=1
I have always believed Ringo knows that I am doing it for him. If he didn't I think he would have come to hate me being near him. Not demand pets after I have been cleaning his ears.
I wish I had something better to suggest, or some sage words of advice. Truthfully though, it is such a personal thing, a relationship between a human and their little charge. As an outsider looking in, just reading what you wrote about Ringo suggests to me that hemay still enjoying hislife. If the rolling cannot be controlled enough so he can continue to enjoy himself, then you will need to determine that.But only you can tell for sure...you and Ringo.
You helped more than you know. I knew you would be one who trully understood what I am feeling and how hard it is.
My heart truly goes out to you...though I do know that whatever you decide to follow with Ringo, you will be making the decision that is right for him. He chose you to be his 'mom' with good reason...and he is extremely blessed.

(((HUGE HUGS))) for Ringo and for you....:hug2:
Thank you these hugs mean so much to me and Ringo. I think my husband will be posting here soon.

I am in tears reading through all this. The loss of Ringo will be a hard one, it's like losing one of my own. I don't know what else to say, I am probably not in the best state right now to say much words (had to stay home from work because of panic attack all night)....but I know you and Rob will make the best decision for Ringo.

*hugs* x's a bajillion.

:hug:

undergunfire wrote:
I am in tears reading through all this. The loss of Ringo will be a hard one, it's like losing one of my own. I don't know what else to say, I am probably not in the best state right now to say much words (had to stay home from work because of panic attack all night)....but I know you and Rob will make the best decision for Ringo.

*hugs* x's a bajillion.

:hug:

Thanks Amy. I know I can alway count on you. Your animals have become mine and mine yours. We love them all. Hopefully he has awhile more with us.

Its funny. I know that if I have to make the choice to put him down. My parents, brother grandma and a few others want to be there. He is a part of so many people.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Ringo is such a fortunate bunny to have such a devoted caretaker. I know in the end you will do the right thing for him. I'll be keeping you and Ringo in my thoughts. :hug:

JadeIcing wrote:

7. The ridicule of family and friends - ...

This I thank god that only a handful have not been supportive. Between my parents, brother and grandma I have the biggest support on everything that concerns him. Plus this forum and other rabbit groups.

Ringo rolls so bad it scares me. I cry everytime I see him like that. I go to work with so much fear that I will come home and he will have hurt himself. If he is not penned he seems to do so much better. For so many reasons him being loose would not work. The biggest being how do I monitor his movements?

How about some webcams?

slavetoabunny wrote:
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Ringo is such a fortunate bunny to have such a devoted caretaker. I know in the end you will do the right thing for him. I'll be keeping you and Ringo in my thoughts. :hug:
Thank you.

I have been considering that. Have to figure a few things. If gas went down I would come home on our half. :?

Leaf wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

7. The ridicule of family and friends - ...

This I thank god that only a handful have not been supportive. Between my parents, brother and grandma I have the biggest support on everything that concerns him. Plus this forum and other rabbit groups.

Ringo rolls so bad it scares me. I cry everytime I see him like that. I go to work with so much fear that I will come home and he will have hurt himself. If he is not penned he seems to do so much better. For so many reasons him being loose would not work. The biggest being how do I monitor his movements?

How about some webcams?

By the way the new pen went into effect yesterday. Have to say I am seeing less rolling. We also plan on making it bigger as soon as we can. :biggrin2:

I've been working most of today and not had a chance to reply to this.

Ali - I know you & I have talked a lot. I've had bunnies w/ wry neck that didn't roll - and some that did. Its really really hard when they roll constantly and there is always this fear of "what if??". I know exactly where you are coming from....but I have not had to deal with this for as long as you have dealt with it. I didn't realize he'd been ill that long....

I will say that Hyacinth has only been ill a little over a week - and I'm already emotionally and physically exhausted. The ups and downs of treating her and watching her get better - then start rolling again - is really taking a toll on me. I can't imagine how you are handling it.

I told you that today Hyacinth was going to be in a 1 X 1 NIC pen with a NIC panel for the cover. I also gave her pain meds before I left to work...so she'd relax.

IT WORKED!

It looked like she mostly slept while we were gone...and when Robin picked her up and put her on the bed - she drank a bunch of water and started eating cheerios and oatmeal and licking Robin's shirt. She's definitely doing much better than she was - and to be honest with you - it was a major relief to me to know that she was in such a small space and could not really hurt herself.

She was happy to see us -but she didn't seem stressed from her time in the pen at all.

You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers - and as always - my inbox is open...

Only you and your hubby can know what is best for Ringo - you are the ones who live with him and see him on a day by day basis. Sometimes - the kindest thing we can do for those we love - is to let them go. I never understood for the longest time and I still struggle with it now.

I believe you'll know what to do - and when to do it.

The first was before zithromax the second was after. About a year ago. His head was very tilted than got alittle better. Now it is alittle worse.

2mrtf2t.jpg

This is before the tilt. Some just before. Can you guys see his head straight?

02-22-06_1537.jpg

02-22-06_1538.jpg

ringo.jpg

ringo2.jpg

His first cage. That was maybe a month into having him.

Ringo3.jpg

second

Ringo4.jpg

third

img022.jpg

img023.jpg

img024.jpg

img025.jpg

img026.jpg

img028.jpg

39c9re2.jpg

80ecre2.jpg

fee9re2.jpg

100_1463.jpg

hmm I see I have to size these. I don't think I have the energy to do it that now. Sorry.

I haven't had time to read through this whole thread, but what about baffles? Instead of clearing an area to make sure he doesn't bump into anything, put in a series of padded baffles so he can still run around but he can't roll more than a foot or two.

So sorry you're dealing with this on one hand, but on the other, I'm so happy Ringo has you to deal with it. He's in great hands.

sas :hug:

can i ask what is rolling, like what do they do when they roll, do they roll around literaly? I know nothing about head tilt, i imagine that it is where their balance, equilibrium, is off?

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
can i ask what is rolling, like what do they do when they roll, do they roll around literaly? I know nothing about head tilt, i imagine that it is where their balance, equilibrium, is off?
I think I have video. I will hunt it up.

Not the best one. Old but just picture that again and again.

Latest posts

Back