Ringo and his Ongoing Story of Hope

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
Test were done (7/3) I didn't get the results for almost a month.
Ringo pasteurella multocida (heavy growth)and entrobactercloacae (heavy growth) Have tons on pasteurella can't find anything onthe second one.

He went in (1/16) sneezing and discharge. Tribirissen Oral(o.52xdaily). (2/20) still sneezing they give him Chloromycetinpalmitate (1ml2xdaily) for 2weeks. (4/2)Emergency visit. Head-tilt,Rolling,Pus in one ear, Sneezing. Meds in office, 50cc LRSSQ, 0.2ml dex dm. Take home Baytril (0.4ml), liquid tears, criticalecare. When we go back for Connor on the 8th she (the vet)gives me for Ringo Neobacimyx Opth Oint for his eye. (4/14) Improved.(5/6) Improved (5/15) head-tilt worsening. In office meds firstlongicillin shot and some metacam. Take home 2months of shots. FirstNolv Otic to clean ears than Baytril otic (1drop2xdaily each ear).Metacam 0.025ml 1xdaily.(5/23)(me call in) Ear sloshy. head stilltilted. Bad rolling episode (5/21). (6/29) Ears clearing up. Stillsneezing. (7/3) Meds are now permanate.

He now takes baytril 2xdaily, Penicillian-Benzathine 1/2cc every otherday. His ears I started cleaning every other day 1x daily. I put thebaytril drops in everyday. The baytril and shots I stick to what theysaid. The rest of the meds I do depending how he is. No stressing himat all!

Vet said for him it is Quality of life over Quantity.

Connor pseudomonas species. Scant growth. Can't find anything on it.

He first went in April 8th, due to slight sneezing and minor discharge.Since he was to young they didn't start the baytril on him. He startedtaking Tribrissen oral(0.82xdaily) for two weeks. AboutTwoweeks of him being fine and bam starts again. Call back(4/14). Another2 weeks of the same meds. (5/6)I cal hes doing well. (5/27)Still sneezing barely any discharge. (6/29) Still sneezing. Only time Ican get in for is 7/3. Goes in test are done. He is put on baytril. Hasbeen since that day.

Oh yea forgot the weights for my boys.

Ringo

(1/16) 3.75#

(4/2) 1.9kg convert becomes 4.2#

(7/3) 3.43#

Connor

(4/8) 2.37#

(7/3) 2.81#

Dates for actual visits

Ringo

(1/16)

(4/2)

(4/8)

(5/15)

(7/3)

Connor

(4/8)

(7/3)

JadeIcing wrote:
Test were done (7/3) I didn't get the results for almost a month.
Ringo pasteurella multocida (heavy growth)and entrobactercloacae (heavy growth) Have tons on pasteurella can't find anything onthe second one.

He went in (1/16) sneezing and discharge. Tribirissen Oral(o.52xdaily). (2/20) still sneezing they give him Chloromycetinpalmitate (1ml2xdaily) for 2weeks. (4/2)Emergency visit. Head-tilt,Rolling,Pus in one ear, Sneezing. Meds in office, 50cc LRSSQ, 0.2ml dex dm. Take home Baytril (0.4ml), liquid tears, criticalecare. When we go back for Connor on the 8th she (the vet)gives me for Ringo Neobacimyx Opth Oint for his eye. (4/14) Improved.(5/6) Improved (5/15) head-tilt worsening. In office meds firstlongicillin shot and some metacam. Take home 2months of shots. FirstNolv Otic to clean ears than Baytril otic (1drop2xdaily each ear).Metacam 0.025ml 1xdaily.(5/23)(me call in) Ear sloshy. head stilltilted. Bad rolling episode (5/21). (6/29) Ears clearing up. Stillsneezing. (7/3) Meds are now permanate.

He now takes baytril 2xdaily, Penicillian-Benzathine 1/2cc every otherday. His ears I started cleaning every other day 1x daily. I put thebaytril drops in everyday. The baytril and shots I stick to what theysaid. The rest of the meds I do depending how he is. No stressing himat all!

Vet said for him it is Quality of life over Quantity.

Connor pseudomonas species. Scant growth. Can't find anything on it.

He first went in April 8th, due to slight sneezing and minor discharge.Since he was to young they didn't start the baytril on him. He startedtaking Tribrissen oral(0.82xdaily) for two weeks. AboutTwoweeks of him being fine and bam starts again. Call back(4/14). Another2 weeks of the same meds. (5/6)I cal hes doing well. (5/27)Still sneezing barely any discharge. (6/29) Still sneezing. Only time Ican get in for is 7/3. Goes in test are done. He is put on baytril. Hasbeen since that day.

Enterobacter are a family of bacteria that are notuncommon in healthy rabbits. A compromised immune system canresult in the overgrowth of bacteria that showed up in the labtests. There are also numerous species of pasteurella -- somemore virulent than others.

Pseudomonas is another common bacteria.

Antibiotic therapy will most likely be long term.

Pam

Ok. Honestly I am fine with it. Even though Ihate the shots. What worries me is the boys can't get fixed. Well Ringothe vet said she wouldn't want to risk the stress. Connor we stillaren't sure.

Ringo pees in his litter pan but will poop anywhere. Connor has THEBEST litter habbits. I mean amazing! He only goes in one corner of hislitter pan. He is aggressive.Than all those rand hormones. I feel badthey might never have real friends instead of stuffed friends.

Is there ill effects to not getting fixed? I know for femalestheir is cancer.

Bucks can get testicular cancer and infectionsof the testes. However, in the case of your boys, thebenefits of neutering would not outweigh the risks.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Bucks can get testicular cancer and infections of thetestes. However, in the case of your boys, the benefits ofneutering would not outweigh the risks.

Pam
That scares me. I am going to the vet the 23rd of September for Teresa's first vet visit so I will talk to them.

The incidence of testicular problems increasesas the rabbit ages, but no, testicular tumors are not common in bucksalthough I havehadtwo cases in my own barn and knowof a number of cases. Bucks with retained testiclesare more likely to develop health problems such as testicularcancer. Abscesses can also develop in the testicles.

Pam

Well Connor may be fine. Still not sure butRingo who knows. As I said I go to the vets the 23 rd and talk to them.Have a few questions including another med I heard of that seems towork. The med is Zithromax.

OK figured I would bump this. Some people have been asking about Ringo. Also to sort of up date on them.

Both boys tried zithromax.

Connor for two weeks and cleared up in a few days. He was just fixed yesterday.

Ringo was on it a month. He is doing good. He has been off it a monthand seems to be clear. Before if we tried taking him off meds within afew days he would relapse.

Read down a bit and you see some updates with details and pictures.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17767&forum_id=6&page=4

Well after the Zithromax Ringo's nose, clearedup and his sneezing stopped. His balance on the other hand is very off.He still jumps up an runs around but if tries to stand up or stand andlean against something he falls over and rolls.

So the vet is putting him on Bonine 1/2 tablet, and Metcam if he seemsto be in pain. The pill can take up to six hours to work so for thefirst few days we will give him the metcam.

The rolling is scaring me because I worry he will get his leg caught inbetween the bars of his pen. So My mom is buying him some baby bumpersfor his pen. Last resort is getting a extra large rubbermaid containerand that will be his home.

Prayers that we can find something to help my little guy would be very welcome.

awe poor baby! my tabetha has a balance problem also.

prayers to get better:pray:

100_0470.jpg

Kirsty Alley kept her head tilt bunny,Strawberry, in one of those kiddies wading pool things, they have theperfect soft-sided bumpers. Might be worth a look?

sas

She had a bunny! Oh that rocks. I love her.

I will check into that if this doesn't work. Than put the pen around it to keep away unwanted rabbits.

Latest posts

Back