Resolved: Standard rex mix trio- Sheboygan WI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
There is a trio of female, 5 year old standard rex mixes (normal fur, standard rex shape and size) at the Sheboygan Humane Society that really need a home. We aren't overcrowded for the first time in over a year, but it's hard to adopt out pairs without breaking them up, much less a trio.

The big problem is that one of them has some mobility issues. Her hind legs seem to have arthritis. She can't move them normally, so she has trouble hopping and tends to fall over while cleaning herself. Her rear is wet with urine from being unable to position herself.

All three girls are very sweet. Two are chinchilla, one black. They are relaxed and don't seem to spook at all. They're pretty easy to pick up and hold, although the arthritic one trembles when held. They were house rabbits that supposedly lived loose in the house and were brought in because the owners had a baby.

They're not on Petfinder yet, but when they are I'll post links.

Actually, both the silver ones have problems with their hind legs. :( They did okay moving around but did have some troubles. We ended up having to cover the floor with a blanket and carpet square because the slippery floors didn't work well with them.

I agree with Angela, they are all really sweet. They went to Petsmart with me for the adopt-a-thon and they all seemed calm and relaxed even with all the people and dogs walking by. An elder lady who never even touched a bunny before held one for a little bit. It was really sweet and the bunny was really good. :)

I got a few pictures. :) I think they are beautiful!
P5026762.jpg

P5026764.jpg

P5026765.jpg

Thanks, Boz! The second silver one isn't nearly as bad, but I had noticed she had a little trouble with her back. At least she can keep her rear clean and she seems to go up and down the ramp in the cage ok.

I'd take them if I could.

Thanks Jessica! I agree with you! :D

I have a few more pictures of them.

Here's Freddy.
P5096865.jpg

P5096866.jpg

P5096867.jpg

P5096868.jpg

And then here's Lucy (silver one) and Emmy.
P5096873.jpg

P5096872.jpg

P5096871.jpg

They are saying, "Don't you want to take us home?" :biggrin2:

No mites, they've just been overgrooming since being brought to the shelter. Apparently they had a big area of their last house to themselves instead of a cage.

These girls are still waiting for a home!

Boz will probably be posting here too. She just called me to let me know that people at the shelter are starting to talk about euthanizing these girls. I'm not surprised. It's hard enough to get the healthy rabbits adopted out and these girls need a lot of care.

FYI the black one now appears to have malocclusion. I'm wondering if it's caused by her molars being overgrown. Otherwise it should have been noticeable before.

All three rabbits are very calm and sweet. I think they would do well in any home that is willing to care for them. Medical care would include a diagnosis and treatment of their movement problems (I'm betting arthritis of spine and legs) and dental work for the black one. Daily care shouldn't be too different beyond some minor adjustments to their living area to keep them comfy and probably daily pain meds.

:cry2

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46440&forum_id=7

Trying to consider who in the sanctuary haven or "space available" network may be a possibility for these sweet and calm gals.

Still no leads at this point.

Please be safe and free from Euthanization Calls, as caring persons optimistically try to find _care funds_ or get you three ladies to a safe responsible human guardian.

:cry2

Thank you for your help is finding these girls a home! :hug:

These girls are so sweet, they don't deserve to go. :cry2

Look at these girls!

P6117615.jpg

P6117612.jpg

P6117608.jpg

P6117606.jpg

P6117604.jpg

P6117596.jpg

They're so beautiful! How old are they? Has the girl with mobility issues been checked out by a vet yet to see what may be causing the problem?

If I remember right, they're six years old. The shelter vet stinks with rabbits and put on their paperwork that they're healthy. If someone is interested and able to pay for the vet visit, I could bring them to my regular vet. He's really good and comparatively cheap. I could also get video of them for anyone interested in adopting.

I am fairly certain it's arthritis. I've seen nothing to indicate E. cuniculi or injuries.

...and I'll personally drive them to a good home within a neighboring state.;)

I got a couple videos. Although every time I turned the camera they'd almost stop moving around. :p So they are not the best.

And Thanks Kelly!

They are still there looking for homes. And now we just got in 5 more rabbits the last day and a half so I'm really worried. :(

I got a couple more pictures and a video I can upload in a little bit.

Thanks for asking! :)

Back