RESOLVED: please send your good thoughts our way for flying Monroe home tomorrow!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like to ask you all to please keep Monroe bunny in your thoughts today and tomorrow. Tomorrow, Saturday April 19th, is the day we decided to fly Monroe from JAK Rabbitry's house in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to the Anchorage airport in Alaska. His will be a long flight, but he's pretty well prepared with a great big carrier, a nice thick vet bed to lie on, spill resistant water cups and lots of hay to eat. We decided on that date for a number of reasons that I won't go into and it is the only day that will work to fly him home really.

The problem is that we live in Fairbanks, Alaska, a good 7 hour drive (including stopping for gas) away. We planned to drive down there tomorrow morning, pick him up tomorrow night, then stay for a couple days and drive home on Tuesday. Well, crazy old mother nature is feeling very mean and the roads are just terrible today, icy and slushy and slippery. I'm afraid the roads will be just as bad, or worse, tomorrow and it won't be safe for Paul and I to make the long drive.

Please hope that the roads will be good enough for us to drive down to Anchorage tomorrow! If we need to call his trip off for now and try again later, the decision needs to be made sometime tonight because JAK Rabbitry will be leaving to take him to the airport a little after midnight our time tonight. I know there isn't any point in worrying about it since I can't change the weather, but I can't help it!

Everyone here is keeping Monroe in our thoughts! And you just let us know if we need to pick him up from the airport!

I'm super excited to meet you guys :biggrin2:

Katie, would that still be possible? Didn't your parents go to the show a couple weeks ago? His flight doesn't arrive until 11:30 pm, that's so late... If your family were to pick him up, there's a good chance he would have to stay with you for two weeks until Paul's father has the weekend off work and they can drive up here with them. This would be if the roads are still terrible on Sunday and if we can't drive down there this weekend.

Ben and I could pick him up (we usually stay up that late anyway) and since I have mr. washy-poo and ms. Zo-bo in the downstairs bathroom I have an empty cage upstairs in my room. I'm sure we could work it out.

Katie saves the day! :party: Would your parents be okay with him living with you guys for up to a couple of weeks? You're the epitome of awesomeness, Katie!

lol, I'm sure they would love to spoil him rotten and then hand him over to you to sort out:pjust like with grandkids! Since we have the extra room I don't see how they could be ok with it.

Hooray! Let me know what they say, okay? It's great to have a back up plan! You're the best :biggrin2: I would feel so comfortable knowing you were taking care of him. Just promise to hand him over in the end! Now everything should work out regardless of what happens :woohoo

I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this all works out. Katie, youre a doll for being so helpful in case something happens.

Fingers and paws crossed this all works out!

Definately sending good thoughts - I hope everything turns out O.K. and that is so great if Katie can pick him up and keep him until you can get him to Fairbanks - Whoohoo! :)Problem solved!

just double checked with my Mom and all is good! We'll take care of the cutie if you guys can't make it and we'll see if I feel like giving him back after I'm done :biggrin2:

Yay! I'm so glad, Katie! This means so much to me. Thanks for being so very helpful, and tell your mom thanks too! I'm not worried anymore about what will happen!

That is wonderful Katie that you can bunnynap... err ;)offer to hold Monroe if Mother Nature decides to give us another winter blast. I would be interested in seeingMonroes carrier.

Pet_bunny, this is the carrier he has.

The dimensions are 24 inches long by 16 1/2 inches wide by 14 1/2 inches tall. Not bad for a 2 pound bunny! He also has two Lanca 1 no spill cups, you can see them in the "customers who bought this also bought these things" section. And he'll have vet bed over a thick layer of paper towels in the bottom of the cage. They don't allow toys or litter boxes or anything in the carriers in case of turbulence, but they do allow hay and veggies (he's 4 months old and hasn't had veggies before, so none of them) and pellets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww...when I first started reading this thread, I started to feel sad that you would have to wait even longer to get your baby boy. But then I read more, saw Katie's awesome plan to get him...and I just feel like my faith in the love on this site is renewed all over again!

You guys are so awesome...SnowyShiloh for adopting sweet little Monroe, and Katie for offering to help out so she could still bring him home. You guys are so wonderful!

Hugs and many prayers for great weather...

Rosie & the Herd*

maherwoman wrote:
You guys are so awesome...SnowyShiloh for adopting sweet little Monroe, and Katie for offering to help out
I think this would make Monroe the farest traveled adopted bunny from one member of the forum to another member.

Of course, Luvabun had her bunnies shipped from the UK to Edmonton, giving them the most airmiles. :D

Pet_Bunny, I was curious and found this Air Mile Calculator: http://www.airtimetable.com/Air_mile_calculator.htm

According to it, Monroe will travel 4,495 miles by air tomorrow :shock: His flight goes from Pittsburgh to Houston to Seattle to Anchorage. Then he will be driving home with us 7 hours, or somewhere around 400 miles. Well traveled bunny INDEED! Luvabuns babies flew 4,232 miles according to that calculator. I really hope Monroe does well on the flights, he'll be traveling for about 22 1/2 hours, including the hour and a half waiting to board the plane in PA, the 7 hour layover in Houston, and the hour layover in Seattle. I'm trying not to feel too guilty for putting him through this, the vet and Jesse say he's perfectly healthy. The airline will take good care of him and after a day of uproar then the drive home, everything will settle down and he'll be happy in his new home. If something happens to him, I will be beyond upset. So, PLEASE everyone keep him in your thoughts!

I was planning to keep it "secret", but I've chosen a mile-related first name for him. Seems very appropriate!!

I'll pray that Monroe has a safe and happy trip and I hope the weather co-operates for you to be able to pick up your sweet feller!

ETA: Wait, wait....I still am following through with my plan to bun-nap Monroe when he stops in Seattle. :pSo don't be surprised....:) :biggrin2:

Emily

Latest posts

Back