Resolved-Pernod isn't Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vet check up today, and I was so hopeful that things were better. However, they aren't as good as I thought they may be :?.

Pernod has lost weight this week - from 4.2 lbs to a straight 4 lbs. She has been eating better, but has also been a lot more active, which could be the reason for the loss (I hope so, anyway).

She still has puss in her right ear (the left one is almost healed) so they flushed them out again. Poor soul was so wet afterwards, she spent ages cleaning herself. We have another prescription for Sulatrim for 2 weeks, and I'm getting some more Cisapride. Also, I may have to give Critical Care again even though she's eating, just to get some weight on her.

On the plus side, we don't have to go back for 2 weeks, and she is so much more active and alert.

When we were at the vet (Stan accompanied me again - Thanks Stan :)) a similar incident to Evey's Toby took place. A lady with a large Rottweiler didn't have it on a tight leash, and it came right up and stuck it's face in Pernod's carrier :shock:. I kept moving the carrier, but the dog wouldn't give up :X. A few others in the waiting room commented when she had gone (and pernod breathed a sigh of relief !

Jan

Edited to ask - other Dutch owners - what do your Dutchies weigh? Pernod has always been 'chunky' so maybe I'm worrying too much about her weight?

Poor Pernod. I wonder at what point another antibiotic should be tried?

As another appetite tempter, clover is good. And if you happen to know any farmers, I've been getting fresh wheat grass from my in-law's farm- 2 ft high, not the 3 inch high stuff at pet stores- and my bunnies love it. So does my kitty Eve actually too.

Hugs for you and Pernod. And Stan!

30my7p5.jpg

Here is Pernod at the Vet today, weighing in at 4 lbs. Even my camera weighed more (5.2 lbs).

2cx6epv.jpg

To give you an idea, Pebbles is 2.75 lbs. (1270 gm). Cocoa weighed 3.3 lbs (1500 gm).
Bebe 4.43 lbs. (2010 gm). Bebe weighed alot more when I first got her, but after cutting off the Cheerios, shebecame much trimmer.

Anyone else with Dutch weighs? :?

Would Pernodeat Nutri-Cal if it wassmeared in strawberries? ;)

Oh, and Jan I wanted to tell you that Loki's healthy weight is just under 5 lbs, Luna is about 7 (!), and Myheart's Patrick if I remember right is closer to 4 lbs. I've seen a number of 4 lb Dutch buns at the shelter and some that are as low as 3.5 lbs.

How does Pernod feel? Can you feel her bones easily? What about fat and muscle? It took Loki about a month to feel right to me after he was sick. He was down to about 4.2 lbs then.

Im sorry to hear things arent getting better, Jan, but at least shes eating and active. Did the vet ever culture the puss in the ear? In my experience, Bactrim (sulfatrim) is pretty ineffective, something like Baytril (especially injectible) would be something to ask about. Ive had better luck with that for minor infections.

As for dutch weight, I wouldnt worry too much at 4 lbs. Basil weighs about 4lbs and Max is barely 4.5 lbs. When Max was very sick he got down to under 4 lbs. Have you tried the nutrical to help with weight gain?

Praying your girl is better soon

Haley

Thanks for your replies (and for the photos Stan).

OK, so it doesn't seem like 4 lbs is too bad - that's a relief. Pernod was large when we adopted her, so i suppose I've always been used to her being bigger.
Naturestee - she does feel pretty boney, especially around her back end. But, like I say, I'm used to her having plenty of flesh on her. She has quite good muscle tone, especially now she has more energy and is running around more.

Haley - we started off on Baytril, both ear drops, then liquid. I have something called 'fastrack' to put on Pernod's food after the antibiotics. Dr Goble said it's like a boost to the antibiotics. She also had Penicillin injections (but they didn't seem to do that much :?). I guess we see what will happen in 2 weeks.

Thanks again for the re assurance. I just wish that pernod would wake up tomorrow wanting to eat everything in sight (a bit like Shadow does :?)

Jan

Oh my gosh! JAN! You didn't tell me Pernod was sick! I know, I know, it's my own fault for not being around. :( I'm sorry that I haven't been here keeping up. I'm glad the infection is clearing up, but I'm so worried about her liver. :( I will be marking this thread to notify me when it's updated. I hope there are some options available.

I didn't even realize you'd moved. Sigh...on my honor, I promise to be a more frequent visitor.

HUGS, Jan! I'm so glad the forum has been so awesome in helping you out! What a great group of people this is!

Jan, hi! Just wanted to check on Pernod. How is she these past days? Is she eating any better? Has she gained any weight? Have you gotten rid of the pasteurella issue? And, most importantly, how's the situation with her liver?

Marietta

Thanks for your concerns :). Elf mommy - don't worry, I think you have had enough on your mind with your injury.

I'm happy to say that Pernod has been wonderful these past few days :). I am syringing 6 mls of Critical care (3 mls twice a day) just to get some calories in her, but she is eating quite well. She is taking pellets throughout the day, and munching on greens and even some fruit. SHe has loads of energy and explores everything - she has even started humping Shadows head again for the first time in ages :?.

I haven't had to clean her nose for a few days, and she only occassionally shakes her head. She is still having the Sulatrim, and also Fast Track which I'm supposed to sprinkle on her food, but she won't touch anything with it on. Soooo, I mix it in with the Critical Care and she gets it that way ;)

At the minute, she seems none the worse for her liver condition (except the weight she has lost). Her coat is nice and shiney and , like I said, she has more energy and interest in things than she has done since we got to Canada. Unless she shows a rapid decline, then I will see what Dr Goble says, but we may just see how she progresses. I don't really want to put her through any un-necessary stress, especially seeing how well she is doing. We don't have a vet visit until a week on Thursday, so hopefully things will continue as well as they are. I am so pleased with my little girl - she's a real trooper :).

Jan

I'm glad to hear things are going better for Pernod! Poor girl. I hope her next appointment goes well. How big are Dutchies supposed to be? Skyler is a purebred Dutch and he weighs in at a wopping 2 pounds, maybe a few ounces more. He's nice and plump, he's just a widdle guy at 5 months and a couple weeks old. I'm surprised to learn that Pebbles is heavier than Tallulah and Skyler.

:happyrabbit: the Pernod happy dance needs to be had!!!! So glad to hear that she is eating on her own!!! Can't wait for the results of the next vet visit! Really happy to hear that she is doing better :great:

Back