Resolved-Pernod isn't Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, this is the first time I've been on in days and when I saw this post I just filled with dread. I'll keep Pernod in my thoughts. I am so glad that Pet_Bunny has been such an amazing help to you through all this.

:pray:

As Naturestee said, maybe her liver was affected by the sudden loss of weight. I hope the shipped pellets arrive in time and stimulate her appetite. Tracey, you were really God-sent for Jan and little Pernod!

Marietta

Pernod is in my prayers and hope she pulls through this. Ihope the pellets she was so used to stimulate her appetite (how great Flashy for finding these and sending).

:pray:

:bigtears:I'm afraid Pernod isn't doing good at all. She was a bit snuffly yesterday, and wouldn't even eat her salad last night. This morning when I got up, she had lots of discharge all aver her nose and mouth - so much it was a real shock. Again, she wouldn't touch any food either.

I rang the vets that took the blood test, but Dr Steele wasn't there until 10 am and then she was doing surgeries. I asked if she could phone me before she started, but I heard nothing. I rang the first vets we went to a few weeks ago, and although there was no appointments, I think they guessed how desperate I was. They spoke to the rabbit vet (Dr Goble) and she said if we could make it for 11 am she would see us. Luckily, John is on late shift (4 - midnight) this week so we went straight over.

She thoroughly checked Pernod, and found a lump :(. She also checked her teeth, eyes and ears. She said the ear infection is back, and is connected to the nasal discharge. Most likely pastuerella, due to her immune system being down. She took x-rays and showed us the results. They broke my heart. It looks like a tumour on her liver, and that is what the lump was . It is most likely that this has caused the weight loss, rather than the other way round.

She gave us our options - chemo isn't really feasible for her the state she's in now as it would comprimise her immune system even more. She said we could try stronger antibiotics to clear her infection and also give her something to stimulate her appetite and see how she is after that. The other option was the worst one, which I think you can all guess at what it was, and I don't feel I can let her go without trying to give her a little more quality time:tears2:

So, I got some other antibiotics (Sulfatrim) and have to get the Cisapride tomorrow to stimulate her appetite, and have to clean her nose every hour. I can only tell you how absolutely devastated I am, knowing I am going to lose her. I can't imagine how I'm going to get through this - I am crying as I write this. I want to have some happy times with her before I have to say 'Goodbye' but if she is not showing any signs of getting better, I don't want her to suffer. We go back to see Dr Goble on Thursday.

Please keep us in your thoughts. I love my little girl!

Jan

Oh my god. I'm so sorry Jan. I hope the new antibiotics help and at least give Pernod a chance for more happy times.

The vet is sure it's a tumor on her liver? No chance it's an abcess or something? Is surgery possible if the infection responds to the antibiotics?

:tears2:

Oh no.... I'm so sorry Jan... :(I can't imagine how you must be feeling...

I hope that at the very least you can get lots of quality time with her, and that the new antibiotics help.... :pray:

Jen xx

I am so sorry to hear this, Luvabun. It must be so hard for you dealing with this, right after your move and all.
I hope Pernod will improve with the new antibiotics, and you will have some more time with her. Maybe she will even get well enough to start chemo, and survive for a long time still.
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for all of you. :hug:

Poor Pernod and you (and John).. I'll keep you in all in my prayers and hope for the best - so easy to fear the worst, but try to keep positive thoughts as at least there stillIS hope! :hug::pray:

I'm so sorry about Pernod.

Maybe he's had this problem for awhile and the move sort of lowered his immune system to the point where it is presenting itself now.

It"s absolutely nothing that you had any control over.

Oh no, I'm so sorry about Pernod :(. I hope that there is something they can do for her. You'll both be in my thoughts!

Back