Resolved-Pernod isn't Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we saw Dr Steele today (the rabbit vet) and she was lovely. I mentioned checking her teeth again, and gave them a thorough look and said they aren't causing any problems. She said she could see Pernod was very depressed and checked her stomach, and then her bladder to see if there could be any stones (which there weren't).

Then she said that it could be a problem with her liver or kidneys, especially as she is drinking more than usual. So she took blood and is going to test for as many things as she can. She is phoning tomorrow with the results. Depending on what they show, then we will decide where to go from there :(.

Pernod has had some kale, salad leaves and the tiniest bit of alfalfa hay that Stan gave me. She took her Baytril with no fuss, but spit out the Critical Care. I am going to try some Nutrical later, though it's a messy process and I usually end up with more on me than inside her :?.

Marietta, I am sure Pernod is picking up on my feelings so I am trying to be positive with her. I've had a VERY generous offer from Flashy about sending UK pellets over (thanks :hug:).

I guess we just wait now until I get the results tomorrow. Thanks all for your support.

Jan

Awww Jan i'm sorry Pernod isn't her usual bunnyself....i just hope it's nothing serious and she will be back to her old self soon...i will be praying that the blood tests come back all ok.....also what a kind gesture from Tracey....she is just lovely that girl :)

That picture of Pernod wrapped up in her little pink towel is so cute...she is such a sweet girl :)

Cheryl

Well, I wish I could say I'm happy it's not her teeth, but I was hoping it was - that's usually the easy answer.

I find the trick with nutrical in my house is to smear it on the TOP of the front paws. Charlie HATES the stuff, but I think he hates the feeling of it smeared all over the tops of his paws more and will eventually clean it off. He'll sit there with it forever, but that stuff smells so bad, I think he gives in eventually just to get it off. I also find the tops of the paws is not as messy because then they're not running around getting it everywhere.

*still praying for our little lady*

Nadia

Can the feed company ship to the USA? then someone ship to Canada? We could get a bag of the feed to ween her over if you think that would help!

I'm so sorry to hear that Pernod isn't feeling well :( Poor girl. I hope the test results come back tomorrow with something. Of course I don't want her to be sick, but perhaps it will show something treatable? I really hope she'll be okay! She can do it! Her story is close to my heart because my little Mylo is also a Dutch and made a long journey by air... I'm so glad my boy handled everything well and wish the same were true for Miss Pernod!

Jan, please let us know what the results will show, when you'll hear from your vet, you have an anxious crowd here waiting for good news....In regard to the UK feed, the company may have a restriction in exporting to Canada, but what about an individual, i.e. any of your friends back home sending some bags by courier? I don't believe this would be a problem.

And, yes, Tracey IS a real angel! :hearts I think the least she deserves for her kindness is a RO fun club!:party0002:

Marietta

Any results yet?

I do think they're very wise to check out the increased water intake, etc, that was my first thought when I saw that part.

FTR, Pipp's vet did xrays (at my request) and checked her teeth visually while she was sedated, said the spurs weren't touching anything, no marks on her tongue or mouth and he really didn't think they were the problem. But Pipp is an amazing wimp when it comes to stuff like that, just the slightest spur will put her off some/most of her food and her water. Then she ends up with decreased nutrition, deydration, imbalances, etc.

I doubt that's Pernod's problem, but if everything else is ruled out, it's worth a shot.

Meanwhile, hope the results are conclusive and show somethingeasy to fix.

sas :pray:

Sorry everyone, no results today :(. I rang the vet and the results weren't arriving until late today, so they will ring me tomorrow :?.

SAS, this vet did say that if the results didn't show anything, then they would most likely do Pernod's teeth anyway as another option. (And I don't believe that Pipp is a wimp;))

Pernod has begrudgingly taken a bit more Nutrical, a papaya tablet :)pinkbouce:) and we are in the garden now, and she is eating a little grass. She is still drinking a LOT. Guess it's going to be a long wait for the vet call :?

Oh, and Tracy (Flashy) has got some pellets and is going to ship them. Thanks soooo much,Tracy :hug:.

Jan

The food is now winging it's way over to Canada for Pernod. Fingers crossed it helps!

Flashy, did you get that feed for her somehow?

Gosh I hope she does better!!! I've been keeping her in my prayers!

Flashy wrote:
The food is now winging it's way over to Canada for Pernod. Fingers crossed it helps!

I really hope that will do the trick...poor little Pernod.

Keeping Pernod in my thoughts

Cheryl

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Flashy, did you get that feed for her somehow?
Yeh. I just went round all the shops in the area until I found the right food, checked with Jan that it was right, and then sent it airmail too her. It was bizarre contents, and Canada are strict, so they had to check it would not get seized at customs but they told me it would be fine because there is nothing there about not allowing rabbit food in.

How is Pernod today? And thank you, Flashy, for sending her regular food all the way from England!

Oh no, I'm so sorry I've missed this!

I'm so sad to hear that Pernod isn't well.... it must be so frustrating for you to not know what's wrong with her too... I'm sure though that with you, and the vets and Stan helping out she has the very best care!

Fingers and paws crossed here that she gets better and that the UK pellets help... and Flashy is AMAZING for sorting those out for you! :nod

I hope to hear good news soon! :hug:

Jen xx

Tracy, you are an angel. Thank you so much!

Well, I wish I had better news :(. I phoned the vet twice, but they said the rabbit vet wasn't on duty, and the vet that was didn't know about rabbits, and it would be Monday before they spoke to me. However, when we got in this afternoon, the rabbit vet (Dr Steele) had left a message. The bloods showed that Pernod has something going on with her liver, and she suspects she may have fatty liver disease. Also, her calcium levels are high which may means she might have an abdominable (sp) growth or tumor :tears2:.

I'm devastated! I looked up the causes of fatty liver, but can't seem to find much except the type of litter and certain feeds. I am speaking to Dr Steele on Monday, and she wants to see her early next week. Until then, she said to give her as much food as we can, despite her not liking being syringe fed. I think it's going to be a case of John holding her and me syringing her.

My poor little girl :(. Please keep prayiing for her (for us)!

Jan

Back