RESOLVED: Harley isn't doing well...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not give yoghurt. Rabbits can't really digest dairy and it can do more harm than good. If you were to give some, it should be the stuff with pro biotics.
You can get human pro biotics in the pharmacy area, acidophilus can be used. There are ones that are for babies that would be a lower concentration than ones for adults.

I would give him pellets if he will eat them. You want him to eat, so give him healthy stuff that he is used to. If he will eat the pellets, then by all means let him. I would avoid treats and lots of new stuff as that can upset him more.

Keep doing what you are doing as it does seem to be helping.

Okay thanks.
I'll have to check out petsmart for it (they'd probably carry it, right? also do you know if this is available in Canada?)

So I let him out for a quick little romp.
He got pretty active. Kept jumping on his Daddys lap. He also pee'd on him haha. Tried to chew a keyboard cord... Twice.

You'd think he was perfectly fine! I'm hoping this is a good sign.

He also got a belly rub from me. He jumped onto my lap, so I put m hand under his belly and rubbed/tried to feel well developed poops. He seemed to really enjoy this haha, he just sat there - no complaints. I also think I felt some good poo's inside. :3

Then he wandered back into his cage and is now sitting on his cardboard house haha.

He was jumping a lot while he was out, so I hope it got things moving.

Also can bunnies burp? If so... I think I just burped a bunny LOL!

Good deal on the yogurt, that's why I asked to make sure.

It sure sounds like he enjoyed his little romp and had a good time w/ binkies and everything.

Praying for good poops! :D

Would it be okay if I emailed my vet about this? My vet may have very good advice about this. Also I text messaged Randy about this and hopefully he will chime in.

I think that 6 feedings a day for a 6 week old bunny is way too much. I would cut it down to about 3 to 4 feedings a day. If I remember right that is how much Sweetie was eating a day when she was 6 weeks old.

I really hope that Harley gets better soon. Hopefully Randy will chime in.

I brought Fraggles home at 5 weeks and she had poop problems also. No runny stools but she wouldent poo for a day and a half sometimes. So I started giving her pineapple juice, I would soak a piece of hay in a few drops of the juice and let her have it. Just a few drops and she would start pooping within the hour. She once did 120 normal poops in 20 minutes. I counted! I would try the juice but only a few drops in a syringe or mixed in his food. Don't give any fruit though. Bunnies should not have fruit or veggies until four to six months old so there cecum is fully developed. So just a little juice. Good luck

Thanks for all the advice.

Harley made it through the night again, I always get so worried he won't.

Still no poops yet. ):
He seems more hydrated this morning though.

Poor little guy. I just gave him some critical care and some pedialyte through the syringe. He ate like a champ this morning, no problems. Looks like he also ate some hay last night.

Would the pineapple juice be too sugary for him also?

and by all means, email your vet. I would love some second opinions and more advice on how to save my little guy.

Should I cut back on the size of the feedings, and continue to 6 times a day so that his gut keeps moving? or give him 3 - 4 larger meals

It worries me that he's a prey animal, he looks perfectly fine. They're so good at hiding things. ):

Breeders, treat all their bunnies and even weaned babies with Cornid twice a year just incase of this cocci.

I just gave him 1ml (says the syringe, seemed like a little more to me) of the pineapple juice. He liked it quite a lot he looked at me like "hey, give me the rest!"

I had to buy a big tin of it for 1 ML.
I don't like pineapple juice, I don't think my boyfriend does either. :p Oh well.

Luckily the convience store downstairs isn't expensive, it was only $2.70.

It needs to be FRESH pineapple juice from a pineapple and not canned, frozen ,or bottled and I would be concerned giving a baby anything other than a very small amount.
You can give him frequent feedings but they do not have to be large feeding ; also give him pedialyte as hydration

the fact that he ate hay on his own is very important and that is progress ; if he starts eating hay most likely he will start pooping .

The canned kind will help with hydration but will not provide the enzymatic properties of the freshly squeezed pineapple juice; if you give him the canned juice water it down about to 1;3 or mix it in the critical care ( diluted)
tryto encourage hay ; you can mix a small amount ofalfalfa hay in with timothy

I gave him 1 ml of the canned pineapple juice and then I gave him 3 ml of the pedialtye since I read online that it can actually dehydrate him.

Also, sorry I didn't realize there was much of a difference between canned and fresh, like I said I never drink pinepple juice... I rather hate it LOL.

Should I still give him some canned pumpkin?

and yes, he's eating hay now. Though he's eating day old stuff, and not the fresh stuff I brought out of the bag just earlier. :p

Could he be eating his poop? I know they eat certain ones right?

I think he's eating poop off his bum right now, or he's just cleaning... But it looked like he was chewing something.

POOP! POOP! POOP!

Not diarrhea poop either!

SO far seven poops!

I never thought I would get this excited for poop! I'm so happy! Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back