RESOLVED: Harley isn't doing well...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I got concerned that I might have come off as questionning Peg when truthfully there is no one else I'd rather turn to myself when in trouble. :)

Hey, if he is well enough to be grumpy with you, that's always a good thing :p

haha, true.

Lets hope it was a good sign then, because he really wasn't having any of it this morning when I was trying to feed him. :p

Hey Carley we need an update on Harley. (notice how I rhymed) lol

Did you get the pumpkin? Mine all LOVE pumpkin, I don't need to mix it with anything. Speaking of pumpkin I think I will give them some tonight. I try to give it once a week.

Susan:)

Nothing too new.

He was willing to eat his last feeding, he ate most of it then he started getting feisty at the end (I'm guessing he was full and didn't want anymore)

I also gave him the baby gaterade stuff with the syringe. Most of it ended up on me again, I might not be the best at it haha.

I won't be able to get the pumpkin until after I get off work which will be around 7. I only work a few hours at the animal hospital.

I sat and petted him a little bit ago, he came out of his little house and sniffed my hand a bit, walked around too.

I haven't seen much poop out of him today.
I'm not sure if that is good or bad. It's good because I haven't seen much diarrhea... But I haven't seen much of anything either. Would this be because of the crital care stuff being high in fiber?

LOL and yes I've been getting a lot of comments on his name (about how close it is to mine haha)

I personally would have called him something else, since it's so close to my name. But my boyfriend was so proud of himself when he thought of it... He even didn't want to say it infront of the breeder because she might 'steal' it. LOL.

Oh well, it's cute either way. :3 Just ... really close to mine. haha.

Pedialyyte will help Harley stay hydrated. Don't know if you already have this or not but it would be good if you got some.

I hope that Harley keeps on improving. Diarrhea is a bad thing in a baby bunny. But I am glad you are taking very good care of him.

Bunnies are expensive. I spent $3,000 on Prince and $450 on Sweetie. Now I don't have any money to take them to the vet, so I try to keep them as healthy as I can and I look for anything that is starting with them that is abnormal, that way I can get it taken care of without going to the vet.

Just like it being cold here. Sweetie isn't use to it, so her breathing had popping in it. I listened to her lungs to make sure they were okay and they were so I put her in my room which is heated, and she felt better. I have been keeping her in my room at night just until it warms up outside then I can put her and Prince back in the rabbit area. They are indoor rabbits.

Thanks, yeah I was told to get Pedialyyte yesterday from my vet, we got the apple flavour but he wouldn't drink it on his own. This is what I've been calling baby gaterade LOL.

I've been mixing his critical care stuff with this instead of water actually so I can sneak it in.

I also gave him some with the syringe earlier since he won't touch it in the bowl (I thought the apple one would be more tempting, guess not LOL)

He had another feeding just now, before I go to work. Ate lots. My boyfriend will be on feeding/cleaning duty while I'm gone for a few hours. He should be home soonish.

I still haven't seen any new poop other then earlier this morning... Is this.. good or bad?
I know the critical care stuff has a lot of fiber in it, so is it doing it's job? or should I be worried he's not pooping now?

): ... I'm not sure what to do then.

Because he's not a poop machine.

I haven't really seen any new poop since about 10 - 11 am and it wasn't a lot of poop.

I thought it might be a good thing, since it stopped the diarrhea. ugh ):

At least the diarrhea stopped. Give it until tonight, if he hasn't pooped by then, give him an apple. Plus talk to him and let him know that the apple is good for him and will help him poop and feel better. Only give one slice to start out with, because apples have natural sugar in them it wouldn't be a good idea to give to much and have the diarrhea come back.

Harley may be constipated, not sure though. That is why I say to give it until tonight to see if he poops before giving him any apple. The apple will help him poop. I did this with Sweetie when she didn't poop all day the first time she had constipation and she pooped after eating the apple. But give it until tonight before giving him the apple and only one slice at a time.

Sweetie wrote:
At least the diarrhea stopped. Give it until tonight, if he hasn't pooped by then, give him an apple. Plus talk to him and let him know that the apple is good for him and will help him poop and feel better. Only give one slice to start out with, because apples have natural sugar in them it wouldn't be a good idea to give to much and have the diarrhea come back.

Harley may be constipated, not sure though. That is why I say to give it until tonight to see if he poops before giving him any apple. The apple will help him poop. I did this with Sweetie when she didn't poop all day the first time she had constipation and she pooped after eating the apple. But give it until tonight before giving him the apple and only one slice at a time.

I wouldn't give apple ... too much sugar but Sweetie is correct that the pedialyte in the CC is a good idea.
give the little guy some time; it is good that the diarrhea has stopped.

I also advise getting a probiotic (benebac) from a petstore and give a dose. it comes in small indiviual tubes for small mammals and also in a powder for for dogs/cats which can be used on a rabbit.
A probioitc has beneficial bacteria in it which helps stablize the ph in the GI tract.

Well I work at the same place I brought Harley yesterday, they... well to put it lightly scared the s%#t out of me.

Pretty much... they freaked that he hasn't pooped since early this morning, and were telling me to bring him back in, with any odl stool sample, and etc, etc, etc... that he was in trouble.

I told her straight up I can't afford it, because in all honesty... I can't, and I'm not sure what to do. They didn't offer any help either, go figure.

I feel like I'm going to kill the little guy with all the things I'm giving him. I'm also getting contradicting info from the two vets where I work one says 1/3 of a package of the small critcal care split into 6 feedings. The other says that is way too much for a little guy and I'm probably over feeding him.

On my chart it says he was underweight + dehydrated. I'm just... so worried.

Would this benebac stuff he safe to give him at this age, and with everything else he's taking. Plus will it make him worse (have diarrhea longer?)

I just wish he'd get better.

Still no new poops. ):

I made his critical care a little wetter so I could make sure he'd stay hydrated during the night. I used the baby pedialyte again too instead of water.

I freshened up all his water + one bowl of the pedialyte (even though he doesn't like it...) PLUS a bottle (even though he doesn't use that...) Just incase, I want him to have some sort of water available at all times on most sides of the cage.

I gave him fresh hay, and a couple of the breeders pellets. My vets are giving me different info again (one says I should probably take them out, one says leave them in) So I only gave him a few and he ate them up quick.

I haven't been seeing him eat much hay. So I'm hoping this fresh hay I just gave him might temp him if he's hungry tonight. I gave him fresh hay this morning though... Didn't eat it, if he did not much.

He's been chewing on his cardboard box house + chew strawberry... Should I take them out? It seems to me he's okay. He was jumping onto his cardboard box house a lot today, and re-aranging all his stuff (litter box included LOL)

I hope he's okay. ): I want him to live.

Yeh the probiotic won't hurt him at all ; at the most it will do nothing.
I would not get really concerned that he has not pooped since this AM as long as you keep him hydrated.
I am not sure about the amount of critical care that you need but I know that my vet has always told me to feed an amount that was so much that I could never get it all in

I always fed critical care in small amounts butI would attempt to feed frequently rather than a lot at once. it is important to keep something moving in their GI systems but it doesn'thave to be alot

How does he look right now?

I hope Harley is on the mend.

Biosponge is great for foals, that I do know and plain yogurt also works well, horses, dogs, cats. Not sure about rabbits though?

Well, I tried the little skin twisting trick earlier to see if he's hydrated.

I think he's a little dehydrated, since his skin stayed in place for a second but moved back to normal... Yesterday his skin stayed for a few seconds, so I think he's better then yesterday.

Though this morning he wasn't dehydrated at all. It bounced back right away (this is why I added more water to his critical care) So... I'm hoping he'll be okay.

He's sleeping right now. Breathing looks fine (as much as I know, this is my first bunny).

He had a little drink before he went to sleep.

He's also been cleaning himself a lot (his bum too) I'm wondering... could he be eating ALL the poops if he's having any? or do they only eat certain ones?

If I was to give him yogurt... would it have to be greek yogurt, stictly plain or any yogurt? I have some banana and vanilla yogurt but I'm thinking it'd be too sugary for him.

Plus I'm really worried I'm giving him too many things.

He's sleeping, so I hope this is okay.

But I'll let him hop around for a bit, I'm sure he's been bored being in his cage all day. I haven't wanted to hold him incase I stressed him out more.

Latest posts

Back