RESOLVED: Harley isn't doing well...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
Well, I woke up today to find diarrhea all over the cage.

I know from reading on here that this is very deadly, specially for a six week old bunny. We rushed him to the vet to find out that he was very dehydrated already.

Apparently he's skinny too.

I don't know how much I already cried today, and you don't want to know how much it cost me and my family.

But the little guy got...

-Fluid therapy (shots of.. solid water into him to keep him hydrated for at least 24 hours)
-Critical care force feed kit (he actually loves the stuff, which is a plus).
- and of course the check up.

Plus we were told to get the water with vitamins in it for human babies (he won't touch this though, so we've put his normal water in as well but we've put a few drops of the vitamin water in too)

His diarrhea is sticking to his fur, so I have to keep trying to clean him as well.

The thing that really made me cry is how much we've bonded since I got him. He was climbing onto me and trying to sit on my chest, and cuddling into my hand when we brought him there.

I'm guessing the stress from the move + 2 hour ride home probably got him this way... we've kept his food all the same.

I'm so worried about my little guy. Get better Harley.

When my rabbits have diaherrea - I use a tiny bit of canned pumpkin (NOT PUMPKIN PIE - just pumpkin).

I'm so sorry about this - I was so worried when I saw how young Harley was.

Has your vet checked for coccidia? That is pretty common with young bunnies that were removed from mama young...

I've always found this link to be helpful to me when I deal with sick baby bunnies. It is from a lady who was a holland lop breeder and had an 8 week old kit get sick w/ diaherrea.

Thank you for the link.

Not sure if I should give him another bowl with that water solution in it too now.

He has hay available, but hasn't eaten it. Though he could be full from his last feeding of crital care. I might give him some oats. I don't want to give him too many things, because then he could just get sicker/sick again.

I'm hoping he makes it though. He's still cleaning himself, which I hope is a good sign. He is just sitting in one place in his cage though ): Poor little guy.

And no my vet never checked for that, he said he doesn't want to try to many things on him at this point because he's so young and we're just trying to jump start him and keep him hydrated.

At this age - young bunnies are EXTREMELY susceptible to coci - it is something that breeders watch for and treat and it is a very real and valid concern.

Please don't take me wrong - I don't know how rabbit-saavy your vet is - ok?

But as a breeder - I've seen this before and it is so important that you get some meds in your bunny for coci or at least that it gets checked (you can almost smell it because it smells so bad in the diaherrea).

You may want to talk to the breeder and see if she has any medication for this, etc.

Okay thank you so much,

What would is smell like... if you can describe it.
His poo does smell bad... But I think any poo would smell when it's that wet. It smells like well... Diarrhea.

Also my breeder is a couple hours away, where would I be able to get this medication myself?

I've already spend 200 dollars at the vet earlier, and honestly... I don't think I can afford it.
I bought his cage, him and all his food/toys/ect this weekend also.

Overall I've spend over 400 dollars on my bun, I really, really can't afford anything else, specially since medication is so expensive.

Is there anything else that I could use that he could get by this? could he fight it off himself with what I'm giving him? The critical care food + vitamin water? Is there anything I can do?

I always say "you shouldn't get a pet if you can't afford the vet bills..." but I really didn't think it'd cost me this much in the first couple days ):

Also my vet is one of the best vets around.... For cats and dogs. Thats the thing.

I don't believe they're a technically 'exotic' vet... They're trying to become one, but they're not yet. But they get bunnies really often. I actually work at this veterinary office (unfortunatley, I'm not past probation so I don't get staff price... of course)

He knew about bunnies not throwing up, and such.
But I don't have any true exotic vets in bus distance (I don't drive)

I'm not sure, I've never seen it before.
If it's available at local petstores that is.

I spoke to tinysmom on the phone earlier and she suggested pumpkin/banana baby food mix. So I'll be picking that up tomorrow for him. Which I'm sure he'll love.

He just had a good poo a second ago! Woo hoo.

and he really loves his critcal care food, I think he's doing well - other then making a mess of his bum.
I'm hoping that good poo is a good sign though :) I hope I won't have to clean his bum every 2 hours soon haha.

Also he didn't even notice that I mixed the baby gaterade stuff into his critcal care food that last time. :3

I'm really hoping he'll make it. He's moving a lot more since his last feeding.

if he is having some normal poop that is a good sign.

I don't think that you can get the biosponge from a petstore but it is worth it to order some and have it on hand.

I am so glad that Peg has been helping you

How is he doing this morning?

Normally I don't try to give advice in the infirmary as I'm not an infirmary mod and they have so many other resources, etc.

But since I've had sick baby bunnies before...I figured I could help on this one.

Carley, how's your "Little Sweetheart" doing this morning?

I sure hope he is feeling better. :sickbunny:

You can get the pumpkin at Food Basics or Sobey's (it's much cheaper at Food Basics). I also bought the square plastics "thingys" at Food Basics to freeze the remaining pumpkin. The are sold in the produce department to freeze Pesto in. They are very good, I freeze the pumpkin and once it's frozen I take them out of the plastic container and put them in freezer bags. I must say it freezes way better then using a bigger container.

Susan:)

Harley survived the night! :)

Harley did still have some diarrhea last night. He wasn't ass poopy this morning around his bum though, and they aren't as puddley so they are hardening. He is having some good poops throughout the diarrhea which is strange.
He has been a little more active, he's been jumping ontop of his house just to watch me LOL.

He didn't want his critical care breakfast this morning, and it's very difficult to force feed a bunny that doesn't want to eat I think more of it ended up on me! LOL. But he did get some.

I still have hope he'll make it.
Going to be getting the pumpkin + banana baby food tonight and we'll also try that since he is still having diarrhea.

Thanks so much guys, I'll keep you updated.

I meant to point out from talking to Carley that it does NOT seem like Harley has cocci - which was a very good thing (and part of why I called her).

When a rabbit has cocci - there is a very distinct and STRONG smell to the poops/discharge.

Fortunately - it does not seem to be that and so the main focus is to keep him hydrated and of course - adding fiber so he can have regular poops.

haha, yes I forgot to mention that.

All his poops smell like poop, and they are normal coloured. Plus he is having some good formed poops occasionally.

I think it must have just been the long drive from moving, new water and of course his new cage.

I never thought water would have affected him, but now I know.

Oh dear...

Shame on that breeder for convincing you that 6 weeks was alright. It's not and now you guys are stuck suffering the consequences :(

I really cannot advise you so I can only sit back and send all the positive vibes that I can. The only thing I am concerned about is the amount of sugar he is getting and if that is safe with him having diarrhea? (Don't panic Jynxie, I'm also trying to educate myself so I wanted to ask about it.)

I am wishing him a full and speedy recovery!

The banana baby food is to mix a little bit in with the pumpkin so he'll hopefully eat more pumpkin. I find that when I mix the two - rabbits that are hesitant to eat - will eat more because they do like the banana baby food. (Plus Banana is part of the "BRAT" (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) for intestional problems.

Ah yes BRAT. Thank you for that Peg. Will add it to my notes for whenever I may be faced with such a situation. :)

Sorry Jynxie, promise I will not hijack the thread more. I hope we get an update soon. He's such a cutie, I can't help but be worried. :)

No worries, I don't mind.
It was a good question :)

I think we'll have to re-bond after all of this.
I'm sure he won't like me much by the end of it. :p

I'm surprised he's not drinking the apple vitamin water stuff. I thought he'd like the sweetness of it. ):

Back