RESOLVED: Flemmie girl Colorado Springs, Co

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fancy77 wrote:
April u go get her 4 me and I'll take her :biggrin2:

On a serious note I do wish that was possible...pipe dreams
I think you might be closer to her. * hint, hint* ;)

Is there a rabbit rescue near by you, Boolette?

I am going to be so sad to see this sweetie go to a shelter.

undergunfire wrote:
I never thought I would want a Flemish because I always hear of them passing away too young...but man, she is one lovely girl. I think I am going to have to bookmark this page, too, so I can stare at her. Wow...she is so gorgeous (and my bun, Morgan, agrees!)!

:inlove:
Aw...but Amy...if I'd had that thought and never got Tiny...just think - you never would've seen a flemmie run at full speed for a banana....

And that was totally priceless!

I really wish I could take her - I hate to think of her going to a shelter. But my hands are tied as I do not have the money right now to fly her here - nor will I have the money for a month or so.

In addition - I'd have to talk Art into it. I *could* do it - probably (my birthday was earlier this week - but my four flemmies - excuse me - FIVE flemmies - counting Nyx) were my birthday present and Christmas present etc. etc. etc.

If worse comes to worse and a shelter is the ONLY option - and you can keep her until I have the finances (we're retired military - I understand about base housing) - then I would take her (assuming I can talk Art into it and Ali doesn't shoot me as she already lectured me earlier when I asked her to talk me out of trying to get her...). She is adorable and about the same age as my flemmies here.

But I would want to get her spayed as I wouldn't be breeding her (I'm working with light gray flemmies).

Peg...that would be awesome if you could get her :)! You personally know what I am going through right now, but I wish I could take her...I just don't have a clear idea what my future is (moving situation, mostly) within the next few months:(.

TinysMom wrote:
I really wish I could take her - I hate to think of her going to a shelter. But my hands are tied as I do not have the money right now to fly her here - nor will I have the money for a month or so.

In addition - I'd have to talk Art into it. I *could* do it - probably (my birthday was earlier this week - but my four flemmies - excuse me - FIVE flemmies - counting Nyx) were my birthday present and Christmas present etc. etc. etc.

If worse comes to worse and a shelter is the ONLY option - and you can keep her until I have the finances (we're retired military - I understand about base housing) - then I would take her (assuming I can talk Art into it and Ali doesn't shoot me as she already lectured me earlier when I asked her to talk me out of trying to get her...). She is adorable and about the same age as my flemmies here.

But I would want to get her spayed as I wouldn't be breeding her (I'm working with light gray flemmies).

I will for sure keep you in mind. Where are you located? I may have asked before, but my brain is fried right now.

I don't want to see her go to a shelter either, and I am willing to drive to keep her out of such a predicament. She is my love and I made a commitment to her that I do not take lightly. It just breaks my heart to know that she doesn't even know that she won't be staying here with me anymore. :tears2:

The best I can do at this point is to find her a home with someone who understands house rabbits and it would be even better yet to find someone who understands flemmies.

I am going to research into rabbit rescues and see if there are any in the area. I am originally from northeast pa, so I don't know anything about this area or how people look at animals. I have been astonished by the way members of the military treat their pets so I haven't had much hope.

Keep your fingers crossed!

BooLette...since this sweetie will need a spay and you are REALLY wanting to place her into a home with experienced rabbit people....do you think you could come up with some money to help out with flying her to a new home? Maybe sell some stuff you have laying around?

I wouldn't mind selling some rat hammocks to come up with some money. I can get probably around $75+ by the weekend!!!

It only costs $213 or so to fly a rabbit cargo. I forgot which airline we used, but health checks weren't required (that saves about $50). Peg flew my rabbit to me from TX to AZ and she flew my guinea pigs to their new home from TX to CT!

I live in Del Rio, TX and am 800 miles away. I got my first flemish giant (Tiny) 4 1/2 years ago. He passed away suddenly about 20 months ago and I got a flemish giant mix named Zeus who is now free-range in our bedroom and sleeps with us at night.

I love flemish giants so much that a few weeks ago - I finally got my dream to come true - of getting my first flemish giants for my breeding program.

You can learn more about me in my blog:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=42572&forum_id=6&jump_to=569220#p569220

It is well known on the forum that if I could steal all the flemmies on the forum....I would.

I am absolutely smitten...after my Lionhead passed away (a month, $1000 worth of vet bills and a horrible lesson learned about highway pet stores), I was going to get a Flemish but we couldn't because of space. When we bought our house, there were no breeders that I could find close enough to get to. I ended up with my sweet mini lop sisters whom I love dearly. If I could convince my husband to let me get another, it would be a Flemmie...a bunny of that size is a dream come true.

BTW...any Giant breeders in NJ in this forum? If so, please PM me so I can be ready for when I wear him down....:mrsthumper:

Could we get a "railroad" together, Or is it less hassle to ship/fly a bunny to the new destination???

I have started to have dreams about her doing binkies on my bed, I wasnt this taken by my Hubby...lmao

This is one of the hardest posts I've ever had to make. I kept waking up during the night thinking about it - especially after Zeus woke me up by dreaming about running while dead-bunny flopped right next to my back - the bed was shaking from his dreaming.

I can not give your girl exactly what you are wanting and I need to be fair to you and to me and let you know that upfront. *IF* she were to bond with Zeus (who so far doesn't seem to want to bond to another rabbit right now as they seem too tempermental for him - he sees himself as being bonded to me) - then she could live the life of a free-roaming bedroom bunny and be his partner. Since he is neutered - we could try the bonding with dates before she is neutered and she could be caged in our room with supervised visits until I'm comfortable that they're bonded.

But - if he wasn't willing to bond with her - which is a big chance - then she would have to be caged in the rabbitry along with my other flemmie girls. They get let out for playtimes from 4-8 hours per day and run around and play. Once we get the office turned into an office (which is probably at least 2 months away) - she could move into there as a free-roam bunny and become the office bunny. Trust me - we spend a lot of time at the computers so she would probably have someone in there several hours per day. I just don't know that she would be as bonded with a person in there because we don't sleep in there, etc.

I'm not saying I don't want her or that I'm not willing to take her. I can even try taking her to rabbit shows to find a family who can give her the type of home you want for her.....and keep her here until we found someone we felt understood flemmies.

I already care about her- simply from her pictures.

If I didn't have two dogs - one of which I don't trust to be alone with rabbits - I would have her be the main house bunny....but that is just not an option.

I guess what I'm saying is - if you can't find for her what you want - and if you talk to the rabbit rescue folks and find out she could be in a shelter for a year or so...I can give her a better life than that. I think that coming here is definitely better than being taken to a shelter that puts animals down after a set period of time.

As I said - this is a hard post to write - because in my heart of hearts - I do want her. (Ok - so I want all the flemmies in the world).

But the more I reread your post - the more I realize - I can't give her exactly what you (and I) want for her. I can try to have her bond with Zeus and that would be the ideal situation....but I can't promise she'd have the home you want for her.

I won't feel bad if you find someone else for her (I also won't feel bad if you decide what we can give her is at least enough of a start and we can try to go from there).

The one thing I can tell you - is that as a breeder - I will NOT breed her. Not because she isn't pretty or anything like that - but because I'm not working with those colors and she was bought with the intentions of being a pet bunny...and I would want to honor those intentions. I would get her spayed sometime later this fall or winter...

Well - I better close this as I'm about in tears now....

Autumn U r wayyy 2 funny...LMAO

When hubby does do the binkies I will 4 sure post pics...lol

Peg...I'm saying I want her but cant figure out a way to get her 2 MN. So watch out huni I would have to fight ya for her lol (j/k on the last comment...maybe :) )

I agree, Peg would give her such a great home. Peg LOVES her rabbits (I've witnessed it!).

I mean, if Peg could even foster (but we know how that goes, lol!), so she doesn't have to go to a shelter....then maybe that can be an option.

Peg...does Robin want a bedroom bunny? LOL!

For some reason this Flemish girl has really touched a lot of our hearts just from her pictures...and I don't why!

That being said....more pictures, please ;)!

Fancy77 wrote:
Autumn U r wayyy 2 funny...LMAO

When hubby does do the binkies I will 4 sure post pics...lol

Peg...I'm saying I want her but cant figure out a way to get her 2 MN. So watch out huni I would have to fight ya for her lol (j/k on the last comment...maybe :) )
If you want her and can give her the type of home she needs - then I'm sure some sort of a bunny train could be set up to help get her to you....I don't know how to do those but I can contact someone who does...

undergunfire wrote:
I agree, Peg would give her such a great home. Peg LOVES her rabbits (I've witnessed it!).

I mean, if Peg could even foster (but we know how that goes, lol!), so she doesn't have to go to a shelter....then maybe that can be an option.

Peg...does Robin want a bedroom bunny? LOL!

For some reason this Flemish girl has really touched a lot of our hearts just from her pictures...and I don't why!

That being said....more pictures, please ;)!
I think you've seen me laugh over my rabbits - cry over my rabbits - and just plain old love on my bunnies. Each one is special - even when I had over 200...(which I'm WAY WAY WAY down from now).

Robin doesn't have space for a bedroom bunny as she already has an intact male bedroom bunny.

I have thought about having Arlene talk to Zeus (and this girl from her photos) to get a feeling for if they would be compatible and if he's open to trying again. (For those who don't know - Arlene is the animal communicator I work with for Zeus and she's really helped him turn his life around and become a HAPPY bunny).

Part of it is that Zeus wants a gal that isn't high maintenance and that understands the "rules" of having a relationship - like grooming, etc. He thought he wanted Aggie but when he saw her in my arms - he freaked out and attacked her. He still won't say if it is because she'd had ear mites (which freak him out) even though she'd been treated and seemed to be ear-mite free - or if it was just jealousy or whatever. He was angry at me for days after that - and upset because he knew he'd bit me and I was upset at him too.

Last night as I felt Zeus dreaming and realized, 'he's snuggled right up next to me and dead bunny flopped' - I realized that we'd reached the point I was trying so hard to reach...he loves Art now - he loves me.

I can't put my relationship with him at risk.

I have to admit - there is something about this girl that draws me to her. But I need to consider if I can give her the type of home her current parents want for her...know what I mean?

And enough...cause I'm crying again...

Fancy77 wrote:
Could we get a "railroad" together, Or is it less hassle to ship/fly a bunny to the new destination???

I have started to have dreams about her doing binkies on my bed, I wasnt this taken by my Hubby...lmao
From my experience with rabbits - both traveling long distances with them in a car - and flying them in (and out) of San Antonio - I'd have to say that I almost recommend flying over a bunny train. I'm not sure what the distance is between where you are and Colorado Springs.

I want to say its going to run about $200 for the flight, etc - depending upon the airline you use. A plastic cat carrier from Walmart will usually be fine for the flight. You would want to see what airlines fly from Colorado Springs to your closest airport.

Latest posts

Back