RESCUE: Vancouver, BC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does everyone remember when I got Dill and Darry for SAS?Well Dill's mom, sister and one unrelated buns need homes toonow.

I got permission from the owners to take them. Problem is I don't have room and neither does SAS.

They will be spayed and neutered and any adoption fee would only be a reflection of vet bills.

If anyone knows of someone who could provide one, two or all of these buns a home, please let me know.

Here's the conditions that Dill and Darry where in. I'll havepictures of the new three once I pick them up this week end.

PicsFeb112006008.jpg

PicsFeb112006007.jpg

PicsFeb112006005.jpg

PicsFeb112006004.jpg

PicsFeb112006003.jpg

They are in all wire cages, no resting plates, no toys. Thefood and water is inconsitant (I can't count the times I would go tovisit and they'd have no food or water), and the place isfilthy. They go so long between cleaning that mushrooms andfungus grow below the cages.

The buns are very sweet, and deserve someone to love them.The mom is older about 6 or 7 and the others are about 3 years old.

--Dawn

Dawn, I really hope you guys can find these guysa home. Will you fostering them for sars? I bet they are beautiful ifthey are related to Dill. :)

SARS has kindly offered to help me out abit. They will list them on their website and such, but theyare so full and strechted right now that they have no room or funds totake more animals at the moment. If I could find fostershomes willing to house them until they get adopted, then SARS may beable fully take them into rescue.

So, I'm pretty much on my own. But I've got to get these guys out and I'm willing to do what I have to.

--Dawn

Uhh... I could have sworn I said I'd foster them, just have to see what the bonding situation is, etc, to figure out the housing. (It probably got lost in the translation as I listed off the million reasons why I shouldn't).

I don't think it's wise to spay Dill's mom given her age.

I'm still trying to find a bunny forGeorge. He was going to head to the SPCA this week, but I told him about these three and that they'll probably be coming here, so I'm hoping he'll waitfor that. (He doesn't have a lot of choice, seeing as my friends are providing the transportation and adoption fees).

This puts me in a bit of a pickle. I wanted an already spayed/neutered bunny for George, seeing as he doesn't like the idea of altering rabbits. If they come here first, it will be traumatic and possiblyproblematic sending them out to the vet from here, but if they don't get here soon, he'll end up at a pet store. Maybe just deliver Dill's mom first if she's not going to be spayed anyway? I'm also not a fan of having unaltered bunnies wreaking havoc with the current warren -- I'm still cleaning up from Zeke! And I wonder ifnot having Dill's momspayed willhave anaffect on the reaction she gets from the rest of the warren?

Georgestrongly feels that we have to get these bunniesout of there, though, but no way of telling if he'llbond with any of them. He'll help care for any rabbit, buthe won't commit to adopting one.It has to be the right bunny.

I still don't know the status of a new roommate, I need one for April 1st. I've posted on Brindlenet looking for a rabbit-loving roomie who will foster bunnies (and will post on Craigslist), if I find one, that opens up the possibility of putting them in that room. It'salsopossible George will move in there.

sas

Hey SAS,

I know you said you'd foster, but I feel really guilty about overcrowding you with bunnies...LOL, you've got so many on the go. I know I can always fall back on you, but I would really like to find them adopters/fosters that won't put extra strain on you.

I was thinking I could take the boy, and if the girls will get along I could get them to you.

As for spay/neuter... I may be able to go pick them up tonight if the vet's office has space for a spay and a neuter tomorrow. That way they'd be all done before they get to you place. But I doubt the vet's office will have any spots available tomorrow.

I gotta get through my midterm first before I start figuring this out though. Then I'll make some phone calls.

--Dawn

I've always been able to book Pipp in forsurgery almost instantly at Dr. Jack's, although I'm not sure aboutthree extra spays and neuters -- or two, if Dill's mom shouldn't bedone. (I'm still not sure about that, what does Lisa think?)

I've been making itknown that I canfoster in anemergency for agood six months now. And I've beenactively looking and posting for what... threeweeks forfosters and/or a bunny for George?

Nothing has ever materialized. Then I keep hearing thatthere's an overrun of bunnies. It's very odd.

My main critera is being able to give a bunny something better thanthey had before. Even if I have to keep theshedbunnies caged inNIC condos tucked in corners and blocked offfrom the other bunnies,it willstill really make adifference for these guys. A bunny rescuedafterrunning aroundoutside,a house bun ora shelter bun with a lot of free run time wouldn't considerthata rescue.

My friend(s) who want to help George out by taking him to the SPCA areprobably available to help out with this instead, if you need anything.

sas

Awesome.

I'll see about booking spays/neuters and see what Lisa thinks about spaying the oldest one.

We still need adoptive homes though!! So I'll will start spreading the word this week end.

--Dawn

The buns have been taken into our custody!

I went and picked them up last night, they are all so skinny and theplace was invested with rats. I saw two or three rats scurryfrom the boys cage when I turned the lights on. They wherestealing his food.

The girls where already in a cage together, so I don't need to worryabout doing any bonding because I was going to bond them togetheranyways. So that's good.

The boy has his neuter today, I dropped him off two hours ago.

I have someone in mind for the boy. I know she really wantsto bond her bun, but her partner is not too enthusiastic about theidea. So I have to get them over here and let the little guyworm his way into their hearts.

He actually snuggled with Ryan last night, pretty much fell asleep withhim on the couch. Wasn't scared (no hard breathing or wideeyes), just really comfy. And when you stratch his cheeks,his littler ears go straight up.

I have some pictures that I will post later on today, I just don't have time to upload them at the moment.

--Dawn

First the pictures of the disgusting place they where staying in.

The black boy's cage:

His lovely bathroom corner

The nice big pile of moldy poop and rat droppings under the cage

The girls cage:

The poop under their cage

The lovely build up of calcium from the urine under the girls cages

I didn't actually think to take pics of the girls, I just have some of Sekura's nails:

And the boy's nails:

And the little heart throb himself:

My friend is coming over tomorrow with her bun Ruby to see if they getalong. If they do, then he most likely has a newhome! And he'll be spoiled rotten. One of the vettechs was also asking about him, as she spent the whole day mushing onhim.

I'll get some more pictures of the girls tomorrow.

--Dawn

That's so disgusting. Why are these idiots still breeding.

:vomit:

I hope they find great homes! :) Doesn't sound like they will have a problem at all!

As far as I know there hasn't been any breedinggoing on for about two years. The buns where just sitting inthose gross cages with barely any human contact, and inconsistant foodand water.

There are no more rabbits there, and I wouldn't be surprised if thatshed gets renovated to extend the pheasant area on the otherside. I doubt they'll have rabbits again.

--Dawn

Well, the girls are just like Dill when he gothere. They're SO appreciative! But boy are theyever hungry and thirsty. They're going for their pellets likeit's their last meal, and they've already gone through the whole waterbottle. (They were drinking in tandem, it was socute!) They're not at allnervous or shy,justoverjoyed. Got DBFs within hours.

As I suspected, they're the perfect buns to keep hereindefinitelybecause they don't mind being kept in acage. I'll have trouble providing much of a free run area forthem, but a big NIC cage is very doable.

It's been hard finding rescues that aren't previous house bunnies with space, or used to running around outdoors.

And Sherry is being Sherry, must go clean up again. Butit's not so bad.

sas

Yup, she's orange. That's Sugan & Spice, not quite dark enough to be a red but beautiful anyways.

Sekura is a broken castor, and Milton (I thought his name was QT but it was actually QT's Milton), is solid black.

I'll make sure to get some nice pictures of everyone next time I go see them, most likely tomorrow.

--Dawn

PS: Dawn, I forgot to give you the $10! (I'll let the other people cover the boy's $5).

Oh, and re: Sugar'sspay, it's going to have to go on mycredit card, how does that work?Best case for me isto pay the vet (or SARS), but I don't want it treated as an adoptionfee, becauseI may have to rehome them.

Still working on how to get them to the vet. It's a fairlyeasy bus ride -- two buses, but one stops outside the door to the vet's--although the walk to the bus stop is a bit of a problem,the carrier with two buns is pretty heavy. But I think I canmanage it.

sas

Don't worry about the "adoption fee" I paid, and I've got the spay and neutered covered till a permanent home comes along.

Give me a call if you want to work more details out.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back