Rehome: White Mountains, Arizona

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erins Rabbits

Reaction score
I feel really weird about posting here, because I know how you all are about breeders. If you wish, you can move this, delete this, completely ignore it, but I have a rabbit that really needs a new, loving pet home.

Elton is a Himalayan buck. Not nuetered, but I have been looking into it. I am in love with this little guy, he's just so sweet, gentle. If you've never met a himmie, you've no idea- these are amoung the breeds that are notorious for being gentle, sweet, goofy little things. The red eyes may turn you off- but don't let it, because you really miss out on the best hunks of bunny around. We just can't keep him around. I'm really tempted to keep him as a pet, but I just can't.

The reason being: Elton has very badly bowed legs. He looks uncomfortable in most settings, especially in his cage. We keep him inside in the exercise pen most of the time, but we just can't keep it up. This is the problem- because of our dog, he can't be inside all the time. He gets less and less time inside, which is not fair to him, or my dog. This is why we are looking for a nice home with a family who can accomodate his little problem. He needs solid flooring.

I can't just pass him off to another breeder because I see myself as more responsible than that. I would never ever knowingly sell a rabbit with a problem like that when my own rabbitry isn't equiped to handle it. I also can't just pass him on to any old pet person, again, because I really do love this rabbit, and really would like to see him in a happy setting with a knowledgable person.

055.jpg

019-3.jpg

There is a very very small rehoming fee, I just want to see he gets decent treatment.

If the rehoming fee goes towards a neuter, I have no problem posting this here. I personally think its very responsible which is quite welcome. I hope somebody can take him.

ETA: I'm not the only one who decides these things, I still might get voted down. ;)

sas :inlove:

Yup, the idea is for the rehoming fee to go towards the neuter. We are trying very very hard to scrape up the money to get it done, there is one vet up here who I'm pretty sure would give us a discount as she is in our 4-h group. I'm really hoping we can find him a nice permanent home with someone who can keep up with his requirements. :)

Can you post pictures of his legs? I guess I can't visualize bowed legs on a bunny. We did just have a Shih Tzu come into the grooming salon who had terrible bowed legs and it looked so painful for the little guy.

I don't know if it will help or not (not sure if this is even what you are looking for), but I'd be willing to foster him until we can both work together to find him a great home. If it's cheaper, my vet down here charges $85 for a neuter and I've had a lot of rats/rabbits done there. Again, don't know if its an option for you and I also don't know how far away you are from me.

Here is a picture:

Bowed.jpg

It's not as bad now, but his legs are still noticable bowed. Thank you for the offer, by the by, we'll see what happens. I think the spays up here are very expensive, but a friend of mine got it done for $20 at the clinic she works at. We may be able to arrange something like that with them, but we'll see what happens.

Ouch! That does look painful, but does Elton look like he is in pain from it or no?

$20 from a spay is insanely cheap! Hopefully your vet can give you a big break on a neuter.

Well, just let me know :)...I just thought I would offer as a "last resort" if it came down to it.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Elton or Ellie is still looking for a home! I can arrange transport to Belen, NM on April 24. If anyone from the area can take him, we would happily bring him on over!

Thought I'd post a couple more pictures:

012-13.jpg

016-11.jpg

So what required by this little guy. Can he hop around?

Can he use the bathroom normally. I know I cant take him but these are questions I had right off the top of my head.

Can you give us a run down on his care in anyway?

Yes- He can hop and move around normally. His only special requirement is the fact that he needs to have solid flooring. He gets around just fine and there are no other special needs whatsoever.

One other thing is that he'll probably always be on the smaller side. He was the runt in his litter, has been smaller and will continue to be smaller. He still doesn't have his adult coat and hasn't dropped his testicles at just under six months.

We are making a trip down to Phoenix this weekend, if anyone is willing to take him, please send a message my way.

Just wanted to bump this. Elton or 'Ellie' is still looking for a home. Free to a good one. If you'd like more pictures or information, ask here or PM me. He's a wonderful little guy and would make a wonderful pet.

I'll say it again- Himmies are some of THE nicest rabbit's you'll ever meet. You can see Jack, his full brother's, demeanor and learn a bit more about the breed here- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2NixKGUfHA[/ame]

This is funny, but when I tried to determine the distance between Green Valley, California and White Mountains, Arizona, the only returns I got where for the opposite (White Mountains, CA and Green Valley, AZ).

The White mountains are just a general area. I live in Show Low. 15 hours traveling time. Ouch. Lol

He's now a Sr. at just over 6 months. He's only dropped the one testicle, and is the smallest himalayan I've ever had at this age. I was thinking about showing him in NM but he'd be DQ'd, he obviously doesn't make Sr. Weight, nevermind the smut and manly bits issues we've been having. I have a Jr. Right now that is the same size at 4 months, has dropped both testicles, AND has his adult coat. Meanwhile, poor Elton in stuck in his Jr. coat and won't drop. Honestly though, his legs are getting better. There's still a crook to them, but they're getting to a better point.

Elton still needs a home. :/

Very little crook left to his legs, but still won't drop his testicles. Color is finally all in, and he's transitioning to his adult coat...

On may 15th he's coming with me to a 4-h show. We'll see if we can't find him a nice 4-h home

Latest posts

Back