Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh! He's so cute! The bunny I fell in love with and wanted to bond to Q (she talked me out of it, the little diva) was a REW Californian too. SO precious. Needless to say, I find the breed totally beyond adorable. I love the red eyes! He's such a cutie and she's...well, gorgeous as always (and she knows it, right?). Keep picture updating...they're the cutest little things ever.

Glad the cardboard works! I hear ya on the neat freak thing. There were some temporary setups when I was bonding my two that I hated as well. But at least it's temporary!

That's funny that you are noticing Pheonix's energy now that you have a new bun to compare. I noticed things too after Archie was home! It's so fun having two because it helps you notice their unique personalities even more.

I'm glad things have calmed down a bit. And as time passes it will get even better. I remember when my two were doing alternate time out play at the beginning the "locked up" bun was always SO hyped up to get out with the other one! But towards the end they didn't even bat an eye at each other.

Good for you for running every other day. I'm envious! I'm a runner too but had an injury in feb of 2012 and I haven't ran since. How horrible!! My injury is fine but I just got out of the habit and I can't seem to motivate myself back into it :(

I will be watching for more updates on the bonding! Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Oh and by the way, Agnes is super bonded to me too. And her relationship with Archie didn't change that in the least and you can tell she loves Archie in a different way. I'm sure that's how Phoenix will be too :)

Great you got Hippogryff! I just read it. Yay , I'm so happy for you! :)

I know the cardboard looks bad,but at least it is working.

Hippogryff is definitely a handsome little fellow :). I hope the bonding works out.

Ahhh! He's so cute! The bunny I fell in love with and wanted to bond to Q (she talked me out of it, the little diva) was a REW Californian too. SO precious. Needless to say, I find the breed totally beyond adorable. I love the red eyes! He's such a cutie and she's...well, gorgeous as always (and she knows it, right?). Keep picture updating...they're the cutest little things ever.

Thank you :) They are cute, some of their habits really bug me though! :bunny16

Glad the cardboard works! I hear ya on the neat freak thing. There were some temporary setups when I was bonding my two that I hated as well. But at least it's temporary!

That's funny that you are noticing Pheonix's energy now that you have a new bun to compare. I noticed things too after Archie was home! It's so fun having two because it helps you notice their unique personalities even more.

I'm glad things have calmed down a bit. And as time passes it will get even better. I remember when my two were doing alternate time out play at the beginning the "locked up" bun was always SO hyped up to get out with the other one! But towards the end they didn't even bat an eye at each other.

Good for you for running every other day. I'm envious! I'm a runner too but had an injury in feb of 2012 and I haven't ran since. How horrible!! My injury is fine but I just got out of the habit and I can't seem to motivate myself back into it :(

I will be watching for more updates on the bonding! Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Oh and by the way, Agnes is super bonded to me too. And her relationship with Archie didn't change that in the least and you can tell she loves Archie in a different way. I'm sure that's how Phoenix will be too :)

They do have 2 different personalities! It's crazy and I have noticed they are getting more calm about each other! I'm still jealous of your buns though. They are just perfect for each other!!!

Any news??? :)

yes! You read my mind, I was just coming on here to do updates.

Sorry I have been very sick lately and haven't found it in me to edit pictures (let alone clean litter boxes in the morning) I'm just a little off my game! :imsick:

As for the buns, well, I actually think they are getting used to each other beautifully.

I sometimes catch them laying together when in their cages, usually Phoenix looks more flopped out except she heard the camera.

Together.jpg

Then this morning when I let him out, he kept going over to her cage and trying to see inside.

periscope.jpg

A little later on, he actually flopped right where that picture was taken :)

This morning when I let her out, I normally don't let their noses touch through the bars but I'm pretty sure she snuck over to his cage and I *think* I saw them for a second though nothing happened I think he just licked her !! That seems quite good.

I always let Phoenix out first in the morning because she will just rattle the bars on her cage if I don't. I end up letting him out when they get fed because he could care less about food and she's a little fatty :bunnybutt:

He was pretty good, he mostly grooms himself and binkies unless he is ripping the cardboard off of her cage which I don't allow since I'm worried it will make her territorial and aggressive. He was sweet, and allows me to pet him for atleast 20 minutes at a time but definitely has his boundaries. He actually clawed at me this morning because he didn't like me touching his nose. I guess that's the one thing about him that bothers me because Phoenix will allow me to do everything with her, I have so much trust with her, but every bunny has their boundaries and I love him in his own way.

Under the coffee table (must both love my rug?!!)

exploring-1.jpg

He's still running around. and I think he's about to hop onto the couch. I cannot wait until he gains my trust. Now I finally know that he trust me more because my boyfriend went to give him banana this morning and he wouldn't take it, I gave it to him and he gobbled it :) hahaha. Then again, I spend so much time with them! It's kind of cool that Hippogryff LOVES to play with his toys! When he's doing something bad, I can just give him a toy to distract him. It's pretty great!

Until next time... :)
Thank you for following their blog!!!

Things seem to be going fantastically! Yay! I really think they are making progress towards accepting each others existence, if you will, which is needed to start bonding. So congrats on that!

Phoenix and your relationship sounds very similar to Agnes and mine. I never realized that before. When you said you love Hippogryff in a different way I can totally relate! Agnes is just so trusting of me. And she basically has no boundaries. I can hardly even think of a time where she has "complained" about anything I've done. And she follows me around and doesn't leave my side when I'm with her. :) Archie on the other hand complains alot. He comes up for pets and i will say he does love being petted for sure but he has his boundaries and definitely is opinionated. So I think Agnes is my heart bunny. Archie will never be like her. I love him, but definitely in a different way ;)

phoenix sitting underneath the hay rack has got to be one of the cutest things ever!

You could try treats too, to try and train his initial response to something positive instead. Try luring him out of the box with a treat and then pet him.

that's the same general idea as what I've been having to do with my crabby sugar glider who gets bitey with me sometimes - I dip my finger in a licky treat of some sort (usually the bunnies' apple/wild blueberry baby food) and when I open the pouch and she starts to crab, I stick my finger in... she lunges at my finger but smells the treat before her teeth make contact with my hand and promptly changes her mind and starts licking my finger instead of crabbing and biting.

If the cardboard bothers you try corrugated plastic. It comes in sheets from your local mega hardware store or hobby shop and can be cut with a box cutter. Bunnies don't usually like to chew on it like cardboard.

oh really? I guess Nala and Gaz missed the memo about that >.>

DSCF09712.jpg

I'm so glad they seem more comfortable with each other now!

Foo has been with me for 2 years and she is pretty bonded to me. I bet it is interesting to get a new bun and see the differences. Like you're seeing now, they're all so different!
When do you think you're going to formally introduce them? I wouldn't be able to stand the anticipation of it! Are you going to wait a while?
I know I'm going to be sitting on the edge of my seat when I read the posts about bonding!

I really love the picture of Hippogryff standing all the way up, I love to see their little legs all stretched out. I bet they love your rug because it looks plushy and soft.

PS. I hope you feel better! Drink some tea and snuggle with a bun!

Things seem to be going fantastically! Yay! I really think they are making progress towards accepting each others existence, if you will, which is needed to start bonding. So congrats on that!

Phoenix and your relationship sounds very similar to Agnes and mine. I never realized that before. When you said you love Hippogryff in a different way I can totally relate! Agnes is just so trusting of me. And she basically has no boundaries. I can hardly even think of a time where she has "complained" about anything I've done. And she follows me around and doesn't leave my side when I'm with her. :) Archie on the other hand complains alot. He comes up for pets and i will say he does love being petted for sure but he has his boundaries and definitely is opinionated. So I think Agnes is my heart bunny. Archie will never be like her. I love him, but definitely in a different way ;)

Yes! I loved my bunny Peter because he was so sweet and gentle, but from the day that I had found Phoenix, I just knew she was meant to be with me!! :heartbeat:
She is just always so grateful for everything! She licks me whenever she can to show it! She makes my heart melt completely which is something I'm sure that Agnes makes you do. She is my heart bunny.

I do love Hippogryff in a different way. He's silly but you know what I really haven't gotten to know him yet, so I'm sure my love will grow!

phoenix sitting underneath the hay rack has got to be one of the cutest things ever!

that's the same general idea as what I've been having to do with my crabby sugar glider who gets bitey with me sometimes - I dip my finger in a licky treat of some sort (usually the bunnies' apple/wild blueberry baby food) and when I open the pouch and she starts to crab, I stick my finger in... she lunges at my finger but smells the treat before her teeth make contact with my hand and promptly changes her mind and starts licking my finger instead of crabbing and biting.

oh really? I guess Nala and Gaz missed the memo about that >.>

DSCF09712.jpg

Ha. Ha. Ha.... yeah, your two are the exception to the rule!!!!

I have been luring Hippogryff out with treats and letting him out when it is very quiet because I noticed that he's not very comfortable coming out when we are doing things around the house.

I'm heading to your blog and I hope you posted because I miss my dosage of Nala and Gaz.... or as I will call them NAZ :)

I'm so glad they seem more comfortable with each other now!

Foo has been with me for 2 years and she is pretty bonded to me. I bet it is interesting to get a new bun and see the differences. Like you're seeing now, they're all so different!
When do you think you're going to formally introduce them? I wouldn't be able to stand the anticipation of it! Are you going to wait a while?
I know I'm going to be sitting on the edge of my seat when I read the posts about bonding!

I really love the picture of Hippogryff standing all the way up, I love to see their little legs all stretched out. I bet they love your rug because it looks plushy and soft.

PS. I hope you feel better! Drink some tea and snuggle with a bun!

Honest to god, I cannot wait to introduce them but I keep telling myself for their own good, I will wait until Hippogryff has officially been here for 3 weeks to do it. It's only been 1 week and I don't want to complicate anything. I actually feel like it's a hassle to have them separated, so I look at it as I take longer to bond them but then I am almost guaranteed to have the go ahead from them :)

Thank you but it's not that kind of sick.... the doctor thinks I caught a parasite or something from somewhere so my digestive system is MESSED :(

Thank you so much though!! I really appreciate everyone reading this blog once again. I love logging into this forum, it's one of my favorite parts of the day.

OH NO! I'm sorry its that kind of sick! Thats terrible. I really hope you feel better soon! I know what its like to have issues like that and its absolutely terrible. Foo and I are sending you hugs and love! Feel better!

aww, hope you feel better! being sick is so godawful!

if you're bribing him with treats, you should try pomegranate-infused craisins (I found 'em at walmart in the raisin section) - my bunns go INSANE over them! they like 'em way better than regular craisins, which they liked better than raisins.

aww, hope you feel better! being sick is so godawful!

if you're bribing him with treats, you should try pomegranate-infused craisins (I found 'em at walmart in the raisin section) - my bunns go INSANE over them! they like 'em way better than regular craisins, which they liked better than raisins.

Thank you!! :sunshine:

Aren't craisins bad for them only because they have added sugar?
I went to go grab a pack and I didn't grab them for that reason, then again it is a treat.

Thanks again all, yeah, the sickness is on and off. I'm hoping my tests at the doctors bring something up because it's like, I'm sick, but I'm okay to go to work, but something is definitely wrong....

I know I mentioned in a previous post that Hippogryff flopped beside Phoenixs' cage and of course, I got a picture right after I logged off the forum! Here is a pic of him flopped over, he's all tuckered out from the grooming session we had :p

Flopped_zps8051c6b9.jpg

This morning, I had cleaned their cages, and I realized that he spilled half his water all over the cage floor. It wasn't enough to notice right away but I did notice it spilled onto his box so I had cleaned it and flipped it over (no that is not mold on the corner :)) Look at the number he'd done on the box in just a week! I think I might get him a cardboard castle for Christmas because lord knows that Phoenix doesn't like to chew! Actually I'm lucky in that sense, both buns do not chew any of my baseboards/furniture :)

Box_zps52f1beea.jpg

And finally, he's really really starting to enjoy his salad and he hops right on over when he gets it. Obviously Phoenix eats faster than he does so here she is begging for more and he's tossing his bowl around. I put the bowls side by side so it helps them bond a bit :)

Salad1_zps73dbe5e5.jpg

I don't know what it is, but ever since Hippogryff came home with us Phoenix eats like crazy!!! I have to refill her hay atleast twice a day, she gets fed pellets twice a day and she noms her salad in minutes! I think she gets the idea that he's going to eat it all if she doesn't finish it! I swear she has so much more energy because of that too! I have to let her out first thing in the morning before I feed them and I let him out after they get fed and it goes the same in the evening! She is just crazy.

He is so calm! He will allow me to pet him for atleast 20 minutes at a time and I am waiting for him to flop onto his side one day because he is so close! He now eagerly hops out of his cage when I let him out because I love massaging his head and ears! He also likes being mischievous and when he knows he's doing something he is not supposed to and I walk over to stop him, right before I get there, he will run away and binky like no tomorrow!

They are such characters! I think I will wait 3 weeks until introducing them. 2 weeks in their cages and I will switch their cages for the remainder week.
It's looking good and now when they have contact through the bars, it's a few seconds, but neither bite, they just kind of sniff ... Yay for bunnies!! :pinkbouce:

Latest posts

Back