Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He sure does like cardboard! It's funny what certain things each one prefers. :)

He sure looks comfortable and he is so handsome. I think he is settling in wonderfully. I did the slow approach with bonding too and it worked great. I think your plan sounds perfect. And it really seems as though they are getting accustomed to each other. If they are checking out each other through the bars with no issues that's a good sign.

In addition to the cage switch you can also switch toys and blankets and food and water bowls and litter boxes. I did that all the time through bonding. It really helps them get used to each others scents.

Way to go and I'm so happy for you can excited to continue following your bonding journey.:)

Thank you!! :sunshine:

Aren't craisins bad for them only because they have added sugar?
I went to go grab a pack and I didn't grab them for that reason, then again it is a treat.

yeah, probably... but meh, fruit in general is bad for them. on craisin days, they get maybe 2-3 of them. I figure they love them, it means no fresh fruit to spoil if I don't feel like eating it and it shouldn't be any worse for them than regular fruit as long as they only get them in moderation.

Ah, no pictures today, just felt like an update.

I would just like to take a moment from my blog here and give some condolences to Morgan who has lost her Bunny Foo Foo. Time will heal her pain, and the spirit of Foo will live on in her household just as Peter's lives in mine. It came as a shock to all on the forum, and Foo will certainly not be forgotten especially now that we have all gotten to know her through the stories and now memories that Morgan has shared with us.

I've also been feeling frustrated today, ever since I found out about Foo last night, it feels like nothing has gone right. This morning, Phoenix was let out and I was still being a space cadet, she happened to go to the bars of Hippos cage and I don't really know what happened but I know he grunted at her. I hope it was just because she was in his space. It's only two weeks since I've had him now and I'm already getting cold feet. I want to be open to bunny bonding, but it really is hard work! I find it difficult since Phoenix needs so much out time and she's constantly ripping at the bars of her cage to get out. Hippogryff needs his out time too! I'm hoping next week when they hit the three week mark they can bunny date and I'm hoping all will be okay but I'm also super worried that perhaps Phoenix will be too high strung for Hippogryff. Even I have noticed that he has his boundaries, and she just has so much energy to boot. Maybe I'm just being negative but I felt I needed to get that out of my system.

I may post pictures tonight. Just feeling a little drained from doing everything separately is all.
Thanks for reading. Once again, may Foo binky in peace over the bridge, and hopefully with Peter.

:innocent

Michelle, am just getting through everyone´s blogs and have just read your from start to finish. I just love Phoenix and what a way to come across her...she sure was a very lucky girl. And Hippogryff is so handsome, I love his colouring and love the way they stretch out to investigate.

I´m sure they´ll settle down together once you start the serious bond. I think an active chick plus a bit of laid back fella is probably quite a good match. I can´t wait until you get them married off lol.

I love the flat, so much space and so bright. I´m so jealous as mine is so much smaller but I love it and it does have lots of sunlight as well which mine love. Their favourite place for siesta is in the sunshine in front of the window.

Must check out if I can get some of those tiles for the floor over here as they look so good. My floor is marble and quite cold in the winter although I´ve got a selection of non slip smaller rugs so that they don´t slide all over and they´ve always got somewhere warm to lie on.

Look forward to hearing more about them and to their forthcoming marriage.

:happyrabbit:

:yeahthat:
They are sooo pretty. When you hit the three week mark I hope everything goes well. It will be like a christmas present to you if it does lol.

Yes I am so socked about Foo's death I never thought Foo would leave us so early :(. I'm going to miss seeing pictures and hearing stories about sweet Foo Foo. But Ellie will help comfort Morgan.

Hey Michelle...
Don't get frustrated. Bonding IS alot of work but I promise it's worth it in the end :) I feel like we have some personality traits that are similar....hehe...so I understand how certain negativity can give you cold feet. There were so many times during bonding that I thought pessimistically about something and it all worked out in the end.

Now, with that being said the only thing I worry a little bit about is I did read something somewhere that housing rabbits next to each other that don't "like" each other can actually make them build resentment towards each other. So when they do meet it's like..."hey, you're that bun that bothers me next to my cage all day". So, maybe reconsider the 3 week thing OR maybe seperate them til bonding? I can't say for sure if you should do that....you know your buns the best, but just wanted to give you something to think about. I want this to go as smoothly as possible for you :)

As far as one being high energy and one not. Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. That is exactly Archir and Agnes. Arch is the crazy one, Agnes the chill one. If anything I think opposites attract in buns too and they also bring out the best in each other sometimes.

Lastly, if you think they are getting too territorial already you might start some switching now...like litterboxes, bowls, toys etc. And the peeing thing. Yeah, that's a bummer but it's pretty common for litterbox habits to get out of whack a little bit. I'm sure it will go back to normal.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just rooting for you SO SO much and I hate to hear you getting discouraged. Remember, bonding can be a series of forwards and backs. And it takes time too. You got this :)

Michelle, am just getting through everyone´s blogs and have just read your from start to finish. I just love Phoenix and what a way to come across her...she sure was a very lucky girl. And Hippogryff is so handsome, I love his colouring and love the way they stretch out to investigate.

I´m sure they´ll settle down together once you start the serious bond. I think an active chick plus a bit of laid back fella is probably quite a good match. I can´t wait until you get them married off lol.

I love the flat, so much space and so bright. I´m so jealous as mine is so much smaller but I love it and it does have lots of sunlight as well which mine love. Their favourite place for siesta is in the sunshine in front of the window.

Must check out if I can get some of those tiles for the floor over here as they look so good. My floor is marble and quite cold in the winter although I´ve got a selection of non slip smaller rugs so that they don´t slide all over and they´ve always got somewhere warm to lie on.

Look forward to hearing more about them and to their forthcoming marriage.

:happyrabbit:

Thank you! Your place must be nice though, as Spain is quite beautiful, and the lifestyle ah, it is so different. The foam mats I have in their cage are ones that are used for exercising, they're called anti-fatigue mats. I'm sure you'd be able to find them *somewhere* :/

I already have plans for when they get married... but for the time being they are driving me insane!! :pullhair:

:yeahthat:
They are sooo pretty. When you hit the three week mark I hope everything goes well. It will be like a christmas present to you if it does lol.

Yes I am so socked about Foo's death I never thought Foo would leave us so early :(. I'm going to miss seeing pictures and hearing stories about sweet Foo Foo. But Ellie will help comfort Morgan.

It wouldn't only make my Christmas amazing, it would literally make the rest of my year!!!!

Hey Michelle...
Don't get frustrated. Bonding IS alot of work but I promise it's worth it in the end :) I feel like we have some personality traits that are similar....hehe...so I understand how certain negativity can give you cold feet. There were so many times during bonding that I thought pessimistically about something and it all worked out in the end.

Now, with that being said the only thing I worry a little bit about is I did read something somewhere that housing rabbits next to each other that don't "like" each other can actually make them build resentment towards each other. So when they do meet it's like..."hey, you're that bun that bothers me next to my cage all day". So, maybe reconsider the 3 week thing OR maybe seperate them til bonding? I can't say for sure if you should do that....you know your buns the best, but just wanted to give you something to think about. I want this to go as smoothly as possible for you :)

As far as one being high energy and one not. Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. That is exactly Archir and Agnes. Arch is the crazy one, Agnes the chill one. If anything I think opposites attract in buns too and they also bring out the best in each other sometimes.

Lastly, if you think they are getting too territorial already you might start some switching now...like litterboxes, bowls, toys etc. And the peeing thing. Yeah, that's a bummer but it's pretty common for litterbox habits to get out of whack a little bit. I'm sure it will go back to normal.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just rooting for you SO SO much and I hate to hear you getting discouraged. Remember, bonding can be a series of forwards and backs. And it takes time too. You got this :)

What you say definitely rings true. I'm glad you're rooting (almost wrote rotting lol) for me since it is difficult to watch my two separately! I am going to switch their cages this coming Thursday and I have done litter box switches. I think it's more Phoenix that is aggravating Hippo when he is in his cage, since he still lies down out side of hers, but I think he is afraid of her. It's not that they hate each other, they're okay most of the time, its jst they will both purposely bug each other.. She will run up to his cage and pull on the cardboard and he will run up to hers and pull on the cardboard and then binkies afterward. I think once I take them for a car ride or ontop of the washing machine they will do better with each other in neutral territory.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take super long because it is more difficult giving each one proper out of cage time especially after a long day at work, coming home to them not getting along is hard to watch.
I'm just jealous of your two that you were so easily able to bond them, but it will be worth it in the end!

Thanks again for rooting for me :)

Are they being crazy? I know Phoenix is a ball of energy and Hippogyrff has some boundary issues, but is everything going okay?

They're like so so. I haven't had too many issues, it's more Phoenix where she will do anything to get his attention through the bars of his cage or squeeze into where she is not supposed to and purposely provoke him to grunt at her. Most of the time he ignores it, but if she really gets in his space he will get mad, I think he is frightened by her as even when she is eating by his cage, he will go in his box. :/

It will change soon hopefully but my boyfriend feels bad for Hippogryff and says that Phoenix is just being a B***h.

Maybe she´s just a naughty chick and trying to provoke him but it still looks as though things will be Ok in the end. I know exactly how you feel having to let them out separately. I had a spell of this after the neuter when Snowy and Houdini unbonded and I had couldn´t let them out together so I had Bandy/Houdini our for a couple of hours then Bandy/Snowy out. It was a real trial but luckily in the end I was able to rebond them and they were full out fighting at that time...I have the gloves to prove it... so anything is possible.

Patience is all you need and perserverance but all that hard work will reap its own rewards.

Awww it does sound like she a little trouble maker. Shes like "hey you! look at me!" Its good that he ignores her most of the time though, but when he grunts I guess thats his warning for her to stop.
Hopefully when they get introduced she'll stop acting like a 3 year old trying to get someones attention. lol Hopefully she'll be like, 'okay, you're here now! I'm good' Then they'll be able to be together.
I really hope it works out. I don't know much about bonding, so I don't know what to tell you to do. Lisa, is the bonding queen. lol She'll be able to help.

Sometimes rabbits are silly little creatures and Phoenix is a silly girl. ACTUALLY, Phoenix is my son! He just had something in his hand and was holding it out for me like 10 feet away. So I told him to come here and hand it to me. He just stood there holding it out with this evil little smile on his face! Then finally laughed and ran over to me. That sounds like Phoenix. lmao. See, she's a 18 month old boy, thats where her mind is at!

ACTUALLY, Phoenix is my son! He just had something in his hand and was holding it out for me like 10 feet away. So I told him to come here and hand it to me. He just stood there holding it out with this evil little smile on his face! Then finally laughed and ran over to me. That sounds like Phoenix. lmao. See, she's a 18 month old boy, thats where her mind is at!

LOL....

The time has come and I have switched their cages this morning. Both seem to be adjusting well to it and I'm amazed at how well Hippogryff is doing without his box. I left it in the cage when I switched them because he needs to learn that it's not only his box! He's also got the purple tunnel to hide out in! :sofa:

I wanted to get them a cardboard castle from BinkyBunny.com but when I added shipping the shipping was more that the actually castle! It cost like $50 altogether and I don't feel like paying that for something I can make for like 3-5$ lol.

I did get pictures of them though, I think Phoenix was out of her cage and Hippogryff was watching me take the picture :) I also got a picture from earlier last week which I caught Phoenix all flopped out and Hippogryff just chilling out, I'm not sure if thats a good sign, but they won't completely flop out any closer to eachother though I have seen them sitting next to each other. When Hippogryff is flopped Phoenix is on the other side of her cage and vice-versa.

Here are my two little losers :):bunnyheart

Lumps_zpsfcaab48d.jpg

I'm happy that Phoenix seems fascinated with chewing on the box since nothing really ever interests her (I'm pretty sure it's just to make Hippogryff jealous that he doesn't have the box anymore).

nexusw_zpsac060342.jpg

And here he is in his new cage. Both of them have strewn their salads everywhere!

Hippogryff_zps1a99bdb8.jpg

I started making them some great salad mixes recently. Veggies I've been giving them are as such: spinach, arugula, green swiss chard, radicchio, basil, rosemary, endive, kohlrabi, dandelion leaves, beet leaves, parsley, cilantro, kale. I can't remember what else at the moment but they both sure are happy when they get their salads.

Oh and I'm also pretty sure my plants died since last week I was frustrated from a long work week and the bunnies not getting on too well so I didn't water them from a few days. Well, they certainly shriveled up! :laughsmiley:

Update: Phoenix is CRAZY!!! She just cleared the playpen no problem, why must she cause me so many issues :?

Last edited:
Their salads sound wonderful! I miss making salads like that, I can't wait to do it again.

I think they're getting use to each other. Unfortunately, I'm not educated well in bonding, so I can't be of much help. But it looks like they're sort of comfortable with eac other. At least Phoenix is. In the top picture, it looks like Hippogryff was about to hop away and do something. And they have made a mess of their cages haven't they? Thats so strange for them. I wonder if its because they're in different houses? lol

She JUMPED over the playpen? I have that same playpen, I'm looking at it right now. How did she jump over that?! Did she get on Hippogryff's box and hop over? Or did she use the little diamond shapes to climb up? Ahhh. Now I'm worried because I planned on using mine with Ellie once the winter is over and if Phoenix jumped over, Ellie will be able to to!

Hmm... I think she got on the box and cleared the side although I can't say because I was in the middle of a conversation with a rep from Mastercard LOL.... I was just like oh sorry can you hold on a second *goes to lift Phoenix BACK into pen and removes box* sorry could you just repeat what you told me... The lady probably thought there was something wierd going on with all the noise! I think you should be okay though, unless she's a jumper.... I had to remove the box... oh Phoenix never ceases to amaze me... :juggle

BTW, is anyone else LOVING all these emoticons?!!

Really made me laugh about Phoenix jumping over the pen. I have to be really careful where I put cardboard boxes or Houdini is over. I put them in the pen while I was cleaning the rest of their stuff a couple of weeks ago and I put the wooden house in there to play in. Low and behold, Houdini was on it and over the fence. Mine is against two walls so I make sure that any boxes are well towards the wall in centre and not right by the fencing or they´d be off. They may be small but they can sure jump high.

Michelle, your salad sounds identical to the one I make, they love all the same things as mine. I have a whole drawer in the fridge with their stuff and it sometimes spills over onto the shelf but I love giving them a variety.

Sounds as though they´re getting on alright to me, no real disagreements and a bit of pretending to ignore each other. I think they should be OK and will settle into their relationship themselves.

Still haven´t found anything like your tiles but I´m still looking. they´ve opened a new do-it-yourself store near Malaga airport so I´m going to head over there to have a look over the holidays.

By the way, don´t you know that our bunny masters are there to give us bunny slaves plenty to do so now and again they go crazy messing up their cages just so we don´t get bored :biggrin2:

:highfive:

I have that same purple tunnel... the bunnies love it!

I can just picture Phoenix sitting there taunting him... "nom, nom, nom... MY box!"

hope you can resuscitate the poor plants... I always got mine to come back after a few days of neglect. not so much after the caterpillar rampage, though :(

Latest posts

Back