Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol.... Just thought I should quickly post that I caught Phoenix behind the couch with her back to the wall, pushing the back of the couch with her feet... I was like Phoenix WTF are you doing?! and she just looked at me and got back on her feet. What a strange bun.

I've been pondering lately as to how the litter box during dates thing works. Like I've seen people put a litter box in with their buns filled with hay during a bunny date however, I realized if I put a box in, won't they fight over who gets to go in the box? I'm assuming this would entail having a box large enough for both to be in and eat hay at once?

If anyone can chime in on this that would be great :) Other than that, like I said I'm not in a rush. In fact, today they're not laying with each other at all yet. I'm not concerned, perhaps they just want space and will do so later.

Alright, I'm off for my run!! Hope everyone has a fantastic day!!

UHg.....keep posting about running. I need the motivation to start again. Good GAWD I'm in a work out slump like never before in my life. I'm 35 and have worked out since I was 20. Could this be the beginning of the end........I'm entering frumpy-land :( how depressing.......

Anywho...litterbox thing. During the first neutral dates, no litter box was used. They were short enough AND I didn't want anybun claiming territory over anything yet.

Then, when I moved to non neutral dates, I used 2 or 3 (depending on the day, how long of a date etc ) BRAND new litterboxes. Especially at the very beginning of moving to non neutral area.

Then, they each kinda started going in both so I kept them "dirty" with both their scents so neither could claim territory over a certain one. I still kept 3 litterboxes in the xpen area (maybe I overdid it but I wanted them to have lots of peeing options :) ) until shortly before they were officially moved in together and I took it down to two boxes and that's what I've had for them ever since.

Thank you!!

OH and if you must know, I ran 6km in 1 hour today... I'm preparing to run a 10 Km on May 5th. I'm comfortable with being on my feet for long periods of time, I'm just trying to work on speed vs. distance. Being in the gym is the most relaxing part of my day... I'm at work for 8 hours, take care of the buns and boyfriend when I'm home, cook, clean, but nothing gets me more relaxed than the gym! I have much more energy than I ever did!!

Am I the only one who likes to drink a beer THEN go to the gym? lmao. I wish I were kidding! When I did go to the gym, my friend and I would stop at the bar and drink a beer and then go to the gym. hahah. Its like carbo loading, it gave us lots of energy and we ran for miles! hahaha. I miss going to to the gym.:)

Yes, I know thats not normal gym behavior and I think most of them have a no drinking and tredmill policy but we were like whatever. We only had a few hours in the evening to do what we needed to do and it made more sense to drink a beer before we went to the gym! They were light beers too. haha. I don't condone drinking and elliptical-ling though. Thats just how I roll. :D

I also can not wait until the weather gets better and I can get out into my yard and work my garden. Because I swear to you guys, going to the gym is one thing, but working with dirt and digging holes and clearing portions of land by hand is a totally different work out and a BETTER work out. Its no wonder farmers are in good shape, its a hard thing to do. Everything is heavy and I have a husband who doesn't like to help me do 'my' things. haha. I tell you what, if you need an arm work out...dig some holes with a post hole digger. That is the most cruel yard tool ever.
And now I'm done. LOL

Last edited:
Hey, just read through your blog recently. It's amazing to see how far a rescued rabbit can come. You can see the difference so much even in photos. It's like a transformation. Good on you for rescuing a beautiful bun, and best of luck with your continued bonding efforts of the two.

Am I the only one who likes to drink a beer THEN go to the gym? lmao. I wish I were kidding! When I did go to the gym, my friend and I would stop at the bar and drink a beer and then go to the gym. hahah. Its like carbo loading, it gave us lots of energy and we ran for miles! hahaha. I miss going to to the gym.:)

Yes, I know thats not normal gym behavior and I think most of them have a no drinking and tredmill policy but we were like whatever. We only had a few hours in the evening to do what we needed to do and it made more sense to drink a beer before we went to the gym! They were light beers too. haha. I don't condone drinking and elliptical-ling though. Thats just how I roll. :D

I also can not wait until the weather gets better and I can get out into my yard and work my garden. Because I swear to you guys, going to the gym is one thing, but working with dirt and digging holes and clearing portions of land by hand is a totally different work out and a BETTER work out. Its no wonder farmers are in good shape, its a hard thing to do. Everything is heavy and I have a husband who doesn't like to help me do 'my' things. haha. I tell you what, if you need an arm work out...dig some holes with a post hole digger. That is the most cruel yard tool ever.
And now I'm done. LOL

LOL..., that's funny! It's true though it does give a lot of energy from all the carbs. When going though the idea is to balance your protein and carbs !!! Yes gardening and housework I find is also a workout but I need to work different muscle groups everyday so as not to strain the ones I've already worked on :)

Hey, just read through your blog recently. It's amazing to see how far a rescued rabbit can come. You can see the difference so much even in photos. It's like a transformation. Good on you for rescuing a beautiful bun, and best of luck with your continued bonding efforts of the two.

Thank you :D I was looking at Phoenix the other day since she stopped mounting and I was just thinking wow, I can't believe this is the same bunny I found she just looks beautiful now :) I'm so grateful that I could be the one to give her a great forever home!!! Same thing with Hippo too.... One of the things that kind of kept me attached to him is that other people wouldn't get him. He's just grumpy. He throws his toys around, he spills his food everywhere and eats off the floor as soon as I put it in, he grunts and boxes you if he really doesn't feel like attention and he has already destroyed my lovely new couch throw and he chewed one of the wool balls on my rug in half :/

I've just come to terms that he's a grump and I find it really cute now. He reminds me of a spoiled kid :p

Thank you for reading my blog!!!

They are both beautiful bunnies and you can see they are loved which is as important a part of their life as diet and exercise and all the other stuff.

They both look so well and I never tire of looking a pics of them both or hearing about them the same as with everyone elses. We all love our little guys and girls and it´s great to share how happy they make us with everyone else.

I´m still rooting for them and know that the day will come when we have the wedding photo....hell, this is just a very long engagement lol.

Michelle, you were saying that Hippo boxes you and grunts at you when he isn't in the mood for attention, Ellie does the SAME thing! She's grunts and boxes me all the time! She's still pretty sweet over all, but sometimes she just goes a little nuts. Ugh, hormones.

Lol I really don't understand my two goofs! This morning I allowed them some free time, Phoenix being out and hippo being caged. The entire time she wanted to nip him and he wanted to lunge at her. Of course I intervened and pet them side by side. Then I finally gave up.... As soon as I gave up... She went to nip him, he lunged/grunted at her and then it was like he put her in her place and she flopped next to him LOL it's liketheyre lying side by side flopped right now and I'm thinking what the hell just happened here?? They look like old buddies now!!!

By the way I picked up my 50 lbs of hay and I can say HOLY there is a lot of hay there. The box is half my height!! And when I went to go fill up their usual storage container that I buy hay for that costs me $25, it didn't even make a dent in the bag lol!! I will post a picture later today :)

I really don't understand your two either! Lol. They are confusing. Sometimes I wonder if the wear them down method is two need. Just "force" them together and don't give up til they give in ;)

Wow, that is a lot of hay! Where will you store it? If it didn't even make a dent in the bag in wonder how long that will last you??? Hahaha

I really don't understand your two either! Lol. They are confusing. Sometimes I wonder if the wear them down method is two need. Just "force" them together and don't give up til they give in ;)

Wow, that is a lot of hay! Where will you store it? If it didn't even make a dent in the bag in wonder how long that will last you??? Hahaha

I seriously think they would do well with the wear down method. They will nip at eachother if Im not there to supervise but if I'm there and I make sure no one gets nipped they're best friends??!

I will post a picture later today and you can be the judge of how long it will last. I will tell you it's a great value but it's not as good quality as the smaller bags. Perhaps it's just bad luck as I've heard good things about the bulk oxbow hay :/

I really wasn't kidding.... this is what the 50 lbs of hay looks like in my den :p

OXBOW_zps86ea1c3b.jpg

OXBOW2_zpsa5293817.jpg

It's literally half my height!!

YAY.. I got a new charger today so I can stay up to date on all your blogs! I hate replying using the iPad, it just lags for me :(

Michelle, you are such a tiny person! haha. That is a HUGE box of hay! I guess its as big as a bale, but in a different shape because its in a box. My bale is 50 lbs too but in a rectangle.
As for the hay quality, the hay is probably from last year and its the end of it probably. Everyone around here is running low on hay now and everything is yellow. Even my hay is starting to turn yellow and I have to supplement the bale hay with little bags of different hay to make sure that Ellie is getting enough nutrients and "good" hay. She only gets bag hay as treat though, like one smallish handful a day because that crap is TOO expensive for her to eat it all the time.
At least with your big box you can feed them A LOT of hay! haha. Right now with the bale I have, I'm trying to find uses for it because I would like to be gone when I get the new bale in the summer. So I'm like, oh chickens have some hay. I'm shoving hay all over the place for Ellie to eat. haha. Its ridiculous.

Michelle, you are such a tiny person! haha. That is a HUGE box of hay! I guess its as big as a bale, but in a different shape because its in a box. My bale is 50 lbs too but in a rectangle.
As for the hay quality, the hay is probably from last year and its the end of it probably. Everyone around here is running low on hay now and everything is yellow. Even my hay is starting to turn yellow and I have to supplement the bale hay with little bags of different hay to make sure that Ellie is getting enough nutrients and "good" hay. She only gets bag hay as treat though, like one smallish handful a day because that crap is TOO expensive for her to eat it all the time.
At least with your big box you can feed them A LOT of hay! haha. Right now with the bale I have, I'm trying to find uses for it because I would like to be gone when I get the new bale in the summer. So I'm like, oh chickens have some hay. I'm shoving hay all over the place for Ellie to eat. haha. Its ridiculous.

Lmao, Morgan your comments always make me laugh. I'm not a tiny person, I'm actually 5'6 so average height, I'm telling you it's just a big box of hay. I plan on making it into a cardboard castle when it's empty since I never get the opportunity to get big boxes like that in my house :(

That's about the same size as the compressed timothy bales I buy. The hay doesn't actually look too bad. I'm sure they put the premium stuff in the bags. Since we pay a fortune for those little bags, it should be the nicest stuff! Your hay looks pretty green, about the same as mine. I think it all varies a bit, depending on the drying and baling, and I've also noticed that the second cut timothy tends to be a little more brown than the first cut. It may have to do with how the softer second cut, dries out in the field. Maybe the first cut dries better because of the thicker stems, so it stays more green. I figure it doesn't matter if it's not perfect, since feeding hay is mostly for the roughage, for good digestion and tooth wear, and that the main part of the required nutition is in the pellets and veggies.

That should last you a while. I go through mine pretty quick, but I have a lot more rabbits that are munching down on it.

That's about the same size as the compressed timothy bales I buy. The hay doesn't actually look too bad. I'm sure they put the premium stuff in the bags. Since we pay a fortune for those little bags, it should be the nicest stuff! Your hay looks pretty green, about the same as mine. I think it all varies a bit, depending on the drying and baling, and I've also noticed that the second cut timothy tends to be a little more brown than the first cut. It may have to do with how the softer second cut, dries out in the field. Maybe the first cut dries better because of the thicker stems, so it stays more green. I figure it doesn't matter if it's not perfect, since feeding hay is mostly for the roughage, for good digestion and tooth wear, and that the main part of the required nutition is in the pellets and veggies.

That should last you a while. I go through mine pretty quick, but I have a lot more rabbits that are munching down on it.

I'm definitely counting that it will last me a while! It feels like I'm always out of hay since my two eat a LOT of it! :)

Hmmm... Thanks! That makes me feel better because I've never bought a bale of hay... I've had horses when I was a kid but that was years ago I can't remember what it looked like :/ I opened the box and was surprised at the quality but meh.... How do I store this stuff?! I left it in the box in the bag (which does have ventilation holes in it) and I shut it and put it in my walk in closet since thats the only free space I've got :/

That should be fine in the closet. It doesn't need to be air tight, but it needs to stay well ventilated out of the sun and moisture. So the closet is a good place! haha. Unless your closet is the rainforest. :p

Omg that is a huge box of hay and it does make you look tinier than 5'6" haha. It's not the best picture of you but you look like how I pictured :)

That is one big box of hay so you´ll have enough for quite a while now....actually looks like you could fit in the box lol. I´m always amazed at the different colours that the hay comes in, I´ve had from really green to an awful looking strawy colour. The stuff I´m getting at the moment is about right, mostly green but with some brown mixed in. MIne like it so I suppose that´s the important thing.

Ahhh, that box of hay is huge! Thanks for posting a picture, I've been thinking of trying to order one myself.

Also the similarities between us continue, I am also 5'6". :p

Latest posts

Back