Reaction to VHD Jab

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I knew everything I know now then! I would never of got Milly vaccinated, I don't now think he died from VHD, I think the jab may be more to blame. He did have a bad reaction from it.

I feel so angry and I feel like I let him down, I should'nt of got the jab done while he was having other health issues.

You can only do the best with the knowledge you have at that time, and that's what you did.

Obviously it's a possibility that the jab didn't help Milly but that doesn't mean to say it was wholly the cause of you losing little Milly. In these cases you should be able to rely on the information given by your vet but it appears that yours was not very forthcoming. They should have told you that it would be risky to give Milly the jab given his health issues. You would then have been able to make an informed decision. But lets not dwell on this, you now know more than you did before and you are more informed to helpyour beautiful Hope.

I did ask the vet before Milly had the jab if it were ok to have it with his hair loss and ivermectin and he said yes. I'm having a hard time trusting them now!

ellissian wrote:
I did ask the vet before Milly had the jab if it were ok to have it with his hair loss and ivermectin and he said yes. I'm having a hard time trusting them now!
One of my vets made a mistake which cost one of my buns their life, and because I lost trust it prompted me to find another vet, so maybe it's worth you looking for your own peace of mind.

There are only 2 vets in town and I've lost trust with them both. I don't drive so finding another out of town vet is'nt really practical especially in an emergency.

Talk to your vet and explain your thoughts. If there are only two in your town and you can't get elsewhere you need to trust one of them. Vets do make mistakes but I would hope that they learn from them. You may have to educate your vets when it comes to rabbit medicine and treatment.

I don't know the manufacturers, however I knowa woman through a forum who was writing to the cylap manufacturers about the reactions to the jab, she is a member here although she hasn't been on in a while andI can't remember her user name.:? I can send her a pm via another forum if you like to ask about it? (hope that's ok with the mods here btw, please tell me if it isn't:))

^lol, I was just googling about the manufacturers and found the thread that you are presumably talking about, lol.

'Cylap was the only VHD vaccine available in the UK between 1997 and early 2007. It is made by Fort Dodge Animal Health and is widely used across Europe and Australia. Cylap can be given as a single dose from 10 weeks of age with a booster every year. In "high risk" situations (for example, a rescue centre in the middle of a VHD outbreak) rabbits can be vaccinated at a younger age, but a second dose will then be required four weeks later.'

From http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/vhd.htm

Thanks Tracy, I wish Fort Dodge had a web site, I'm going to write to them or phone regarding Milly, I can't get rid of thisniggle I have about the jab.

ETA When I eventually get the courage to get Hope and Harvey vaccinated I'm going to ask only for Lapinject.

If you do contact them, and feel able, can you please let me know what they said and stuff?

Ok :)

Just remember that it can't ever bring Milly back, but hopefully it might give you some closure.

I know..... I can't, but I just want some sort of answers. I have nothing to lose, maybe this reaction is more common then we think. A lot of rabbit owners don't use forums, and if it can help at least one bun being mine or someone else's it will be worth it!

Back