Reaction to VHD Jab

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
Milly had his VHD jab yesterday and has had a reaction from it.

Since yesterday he has not had as much energy and prefers to be left alone. He is normally a very sociable bunny who likes lots attention and lap time. He has also stopped licking me so I knew there was a problem.

This morning his body felt hot but his ears were cold, then later on he was burning all over. By the time I got him to the vets he had cooled a little (typical is'nt it). At the vets histemperaturewas 104F and areawere he got his jab is red, hot and swollen.The vet gave him metacam and I bought some Science Recovery as he has'nt ate anything today.

I have to take him back tomorrow if there is no improvement. I thought it best to add he was also treated with ivermectin for mites on Tuesday too.

Has anyone had any experience of a reaction to the VHD jab? Is this normal?

I only came on to send a couple of PMs, but couldn't not reply to this.

My buns (5 of them) had their VHD just over two weeks ago.

Three of them had reactions. Two had the whole red thing happening at the injection site, and they now have bald patches there and flakey skin around the edges, so I am expected alrger blad patches (so don't be surprised if that happens).

And another one has got bald patches all around one of his sides, they are pretty big and nasty, and look the same as the others.

These three are the three that weigh the least, so I suspect that has something to do with it, and the lightest one had the biggest reaction to it.

All mine went off their food for a couple of days, but they are all fine now.

I truly hope your bun is ok. I asked people if anyone had had VHD reactions before I got mine jabbed, and not many people said they had, but I found out after that some people's buns have had really nasty reactions.

Good luck.

Thanks for replying Flashy.

Its his temperature that worries me, although it does seem to of come down a little. I'm going to buy a thermometer today, so I can keep checking it.

I hope your buns are ok too!:)

Do you know if the jab was CYLAP or LAPINJECT? I think it is the cylap vaccine which can give adverse reactions, not eating, skin reactions or just the rabbit feeling off colour. Although neither of my buns have ever reacted to the cylap VHD vaccine it is fairly common for rabbits to react to it, I'd ring your vets up if you are worried, they will be able to advise you.Also if he isn't eating keep syringe feeding him the science recovery every couple of hours until he starts eating again. Good luck.:)

I'm sorry, I don't know which jab he got, I did'nt realise there were two!

Hang on just checked the receipt and it says CYLAP, so great he has had the worst one! :(

I have'nt started the Sceience Recovery yet as he has nibbled bits of hay, I'm going to start in a few hours if he does'nt eat by then.

It's good that he is eating hay, thats the best thing. Try to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible and try tempting him with his favourite greens and veggies. Just try to keep him eating little and often to keep his guts moving, hopefully he should be ok by tomorrow, from what I've heard the affects of the vaccine don't usually last long.

The vet said it can last 24 - 48 hours, but I have to take him back tomorrow if he still acts unwell.

I can't give him veg as he gets too much gas from even small amounts. :(

I think he is releasing his high temp through his ears as they are the only place thats burning hot. I must go and buy that termometer now.

Thanks

I've just checked his temp and its down to 39C:)He is attemping to eat hay but no pellets,so I'm holding off the syringe feeding for now. I'm going to syringe some Dioralyte as he has'nt drank anything yet.

My little Starsky reacts to VHD every time he has it - paralysis of a hind leg, local reaction and head tilt/balance issues. It does batter their immune system and I guess some rabbits have a worse time of it than others.

Interesting about the type of vaccination Bunnys_rule63, I have never heard that before. Starsky & Lacey have always had Cylap but only Starsky has had reactions. I will ask my vet about LAPINJECT next time.

I hope Milly gets better soon but the fact that he is eating hay is a good sign, I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time.

This is the same jab that Grace reacted to last week.

For those of you that dont know the story:

Grace seemed fine at bedtime and then when my boyfriend came down the next morning she had basically chewed a 1nch square hole in herself! -- Grace is with him at the moment so I havent seen it -- he said it was red raw and she was VERY VERY grumpy. He took her to the vets and they said that it was a reaction to the VHD and they gave her an antibotic steriod cream to be put on it twice a day to heal it and sooth it. It has now scabbed over and she doesnt flinch when the cream is put on anymore but she did do a bit of damage to herself.

I really hope Milly recovers soon - I'm sure he will back to his normal self soon

HUG for my fellow Bob!
xoxox

Thanks Alicebob:)

Milly is starting to come round now, his temp has lowered a bit more and he is starting to eat a little. He has only done a few small and some slightly tear drop poops.

I guess he will be back to normal by tomorrow, and hopefully not so grumpy!:)

I forgot to ask this in my last post.

Is it normal for Milly to still just sit there? He has pottered around a little but most of the time he is just sat. He has'nt run around or anything and still no licks. :(

Lapinject is a new jab, cylaps the one that's been around a few years. They can go off colour with jabs and a localized reaction at the jab site is common. VHD sometimes causes a limp but I haven't heard of many really serious reactions.

You did right to get him to the vet for a check as there is always a tiny chance of an alergic reaction so it's best to be safe.

I'm not sure if giving ivermetin at the same time is a good idea. They're not meant to have jabs without a health check (I presume he has mites). I'm not sure if mites counts as enough to effect the immune system though - I guess probably not.

Tam

I thought the same about him being given ivermectin and the jab on the same day, but the vet said it was ok. I had already given Milly a dose of ivermectin 3 days before hand as well.:?

Millys temp is normal today, the area around the jab is still red and hot. He still is'nt back to his normal self and only eating a little. But I guess a little is better than nothing. He still is'nt running around and prefers to sit still, maybe that will improve today.

There is one good thing, he has forgiven me and is back to giving mehis little kisses again! :)

Milly is back to his old happy self again! :)

His fur is still thining though, the vet told me it would stop coming out straight away now that he has been treated with ivermectin.

Is this correct?

Latest posts

Back