Reaction to VHD Jab

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaarrgghh! Milly's fur is coming out in clumps again! I fear he is hardly going to have any fur left by next week. There is new patches growing but it's growing back slower than last time.

For some reason the pics are not showing how thin his fur is:?

Back
HPIM1986.jpg

Stomach (you can see the new fur growth)
HPIM1988.jpg

I'm worried in case it is something I am doing wrong now. I just don't understand, I feed him good quality pellets and hay. I am trying to introduce small amounts of veg into his diet.

I don't expect anyone to be able to offer more advice than they have already given. I just felt the need to have a rant! :(

My poor baby, is it too much to ask for a full coat of fur. I feel like I dont want to stroke him much as I always have a hand full of fur :(

Oh gosh, this is just not fair. Poor Millie and poor you.

I know you're not expecting more advice but I really want to help you because this is clearly very upsetting. I don't think it's anything you are doing wrong so don't panic. Another idea - it could be a hormonal issue. Hormones can sometimes (although it is rare) cause hair loss. This can be established by your vet with a blood test. From your most recent photos it looks like there is hair growing back so this could still be a moult issue but I have never seen a rabbit moult quite like this before or so often.

Good luck and keep posting updatesespecially if having a rant is keeping you sane!

Thankyou :)

I'm calmed down a bit now, no doubt I will be moaning on again soon. :(

I know it's good his fur is growing back and I wishcould go to the vets tomorrow. Maybe this new vets I'm using will let me go then and pay later (I can't pay till the 10th). I will phone and see tomorrow.

I'm sure someone has mentioned hormonal issues before. But I can't remember if it was someone here or atmy kids school were I got him from.

ellissian wrote:
I'm calmed down a bit now, no doubt I will be moaning on again soon. :(

I know it's good his fur is growing back and I wishcould go to the vets tomorrow. Maybe this new vets I'm using will let me go then and pay later (I can't pay till the 10th). I will phone and see tomorrow.

Some vets offer payment plans - fingers crossed that they will do something to help.

You can't help but worry, that's what makes you a good bunny mummy!

Milly died on the 8th July 2007.

At the minute I'm too upset to go into all the medical details, I will post all the info in a few days.

I just wanted to let you all know.

My computer at home is broke at the moment, so I'm using my friends right now.

I need to do a bit of back tracking so bare with me.

Last Wednesday I found a flea on Milly, I telephoned the vets and told them I only had ivermectin in an they said to use that for now as he had an appointment on the 10th July for his myxi jab. So I treated him, my cats and dogs, washed beddings etc.

On Friday night Milly had a slighty raised temp and was eating very little. I took him to the vets 1st thing Saturday morning, the vet could'nt find anything wrong wth him and gave him a dose of Metacam. And ordered some flea drops in for him.

He started eating little bits of hay and veg but by teatime he off food again, his temp hadnt lowered. I started syinge feeding him Science Recovery and fluids then. I was incontact with an out of town emergency vet through out the night to make sure I was doing everything correctly and to make sure there was nothing more I could do.

He went into GI Statis (or so I thought) I was giving him tummy massagers and gas meds. I eventually heard gut sounds after a few hours of doing this.

By around 11pm he refused to swallow anything, I think I knew then it was too late. I carried on with the tummy massagers and at 12.40am he reared up, screamed then gently passed away.

I telephoned the vets as I did'nt know what to do. I really needed all of you but with my computer broke I was on my own.

The vet was very helpful and tried to answer all my questions. His theories on Milly were that from his history he had always been an ill bunny. Maybe he had an internal problem with his intestines that no one could of known about. Or (which I'm more inclined to go with) VHD. With his having fleas and going downhill so fast, it seams the most logical cause. A while after he had passed a small patch of blood appeared from either his mouth or nose and his stomach went all swollen.

I will never know exactly what took my baby boy away from me, the pain will still feel the same what ever the cause. I feel so angry if it was VHD as he had been immunised against it, the vets said there is an incubation period and Milly may not of been fully covered.

It just seems life is so very unfair, when a bunny who was loved and cared for so much had to be taken away so soon.

I hardly know you and all I want to do is hug you so so much.

I know how special Milly was to you, and it's tragic that it did end this way.

Someone wise once told me that specialpeople/beings come into our lives when we need them most, and can leave when they feel they have done their 'job'.

My Flash was that for me, maybe Millywas that for you. I know how much you needed him when he arrived, and how special he was after everything that has happened to you recently. It might not feel like it right now, but maybe he got you through, whatever it was he was meant to get you through.

Milly knew how deeply you loved him, and I hope that it can bring you comfort that you were with him all the way through his life, and as he left.

I don't know if you believe in the afterlife, I know I do, but often because I need to. But he'll be waiting for you, in whatever for you believe, he'll be there. He'll always stay in your heart and memories too.

I wish I could say something that helped, but I know right now I can't. Just allow yourself to grieve, release it, don't block it, and remember that there are many people here who care about you.

Hang in there and please look after yourself.

It's ok to not know what to do, to be confused, feel wretched, or anything else you feel. Try to allow yourself to feel it and not push yourself too much.

You have lost somebody hugely important in your life and it's natural that right now you feel all over the place, but allow yourself that time.

This question is aimed at UK people or people from any country that needs to vaccinate against VHD.

Has anyone ever heard of this.

When a rabbit has a reaction to the VHD it affects their immune system they can go downhill and may die!

I have been told this by various people who are rabbit breeders. They all said they have heard of this often.

I'm obviously wary of anything to do with VHD and I know 100s of buns get vaccinated every year and are ok but I so nervous getting my current buns done, especially Hope with her being to tiny and under weight.

I really don't know what to think! :(

My vet said that generally they don't see a reaction with the VHD jab, but often see them from the myxi jab.

I know that's slightly different because obviously a lowered immune system can cause problems a while after the jab.

It might be worth asking a rabbit savvy vet, or a different vet. You could always look on the UK list and phone up anyone and just ask if they do the jab, the risks, etc, and then just say you are moving to the area or something and were just doing some research, they'll never know it's a blatant lie.

I could, it just got me thinking with various unconnected people saying this, there must be some truth in it.

It would be terrible if the jab had something to do with Millys passing. Hope is'nt the healthiest bun either I'm so scared to get her vaccinated now.

Maybe you sould talk to the vet before you book her in for one. Shouldn't all vets make sure that the animals are wellbefore they have any injection?

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything on VHD vaccinations causing problems with their immune system. I did find mentioned was that it could cause inflamation at the site of the jab, and also that a health check should be done before hand, because it should only be given to rabbits in good health. The link to what I found is here
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/VHD_UK.htm

Jan

~Bracon~ wrote:
Maybe you sould talk to the vet before you book her in for one. Shouldn't all vets make sure that the animals are wellbefore they have any injection?

They should, they should do a full MOT on the bunny to make sure it is 100%, and given that Milly was also treated for mites at the same time, it's possible the vet didn't do his job properly. So it might be this that contributed to it.

What I did with my Sky was take him in separately for a full MOT and then discussed the jab with the vet then, and he had it at another appointment.

It's probably worth waiting until Hope is fully 100% eating properly and not gassy or anything like that before taking her in for an MOT, if that's what you choose to do.

LuvaBun wrote:
. I did find mentioned was that it could cause inflamation at the site of the jab
It sure does do this.

I thought I'd weigh in on this. There is no official line on VHD reactions from what I have seen and heard. However, as I have said before I strongly believe that Starsky suffers from this and anyone who says that it can't happen is a little out of touch with reality. It's the same as human jabs, a small percentage will havea reaction to a jab but the majority will not - so it is considered safe up until a large number of people report problems. Same with rabbits, many do not have a reaction, some have small reactions such as localised swelling or wounds and others have a much tougher time. VHD will knock a rabbits immune system, that is how the drug works and knowing what I know now I would not haverabbit injected if they were having other issues. That said, I would also not run the risk of not having a healthy rabbit injected because VHD is much worse than a reaction to the drug. Starsky clearly has a weaker immune system than Lacey - he has a reaction each time he has the jab - a paralysed leg, a local reaction and what looked like EC. The breeder I bought my rabbits from has also told me that she knows of some of her rabbits getting reactions from this. But remember, we are only talking about a small percentage so I'm in no way criticising the use of the injection as the benefits clearly outweigh anything else.

In my personal opinion I would have a chat with your vet but if I were you I would wait until Hope is healthy before taking her for her VHD. I remember in one of Flashys posts that someone mentioned there are two different jabs available now and one is known to have more reactions than the other. If I can find the details I'll let you know.

Sorry for rambling! I've had a bad day at work!

Ye, that's right. Cylap is the common one at the moment, but someone said a newer one called LAPINJECT was becoming more available, or something.

Latest posts

Back