Rate My Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, well Hazel might win right now. She won't stop changing her fur color. It's kind of insane. lmao. I make fun of her, but shhh don't tell her that! :p

Alrighty, thanks Pam! I'm not %100 certain she's a perfectly pure Holland Lop since she was bought at a pet store but that's the bunny I got, simply because she captivated me through a glass window and all she had to do was sit there and be the last sister of her litter to be there all alone seperated from her brothers in the next cage over.

Ya the hutch stain is a bit hard to keep off of her, she sits in her litter pan as a bed too.

With my Lop and the example Lop pictured side by side, does make my rabbit look like a bit of a huge rabbit for her breed. Actually, I think she seems more elegant with her elongated features.

Thanks for the judge, now I know!

Nut wrote:
Hmmm...Not to butt in or anything, but Pam, how can you tell about the fur? How does it look different? What age do they grow into their new fur? My bunny is4 1/2months, and she should have flyback fur. I didn't know it changed...I'd like it if she got fluffier though. :biggrin2:

Hazel, my bun's a mixie too...maybe just to check out a pose? lol, there should be a thread for 'most original mixie' or something. :p

Bunnies generally go through their first molt by about 12 weeks of age and reach a prime coat at about 7 months of age. The baby coat is finer and has less of the thick guard hairs that the adult coat has.

The flyback coat should rapidly return to position when stroked from back to front. It moves quickly because of a high percentage of thick, stiff guard hairs within the coat. The ultimate flyback coat is the "snappy" flyback of breeds such as the Tan.

The rollback coat has a dense undercoat comprised of finer hairs that luxuriously roll back into position when stroked from back to front.

It is difficult to make comments on the fur based on the Internet photos because the coat needs to beexamined for texture (how it feels)and density (thickness). The ratio of guard hairs to soft undercoat, the length of the coat, the thickness of the coat and the condition of the coat are all things judges are looking at when evaluating the fur of the rabbit.

Not all rabbits have ideal coats for their breed.

As for the magnificent mixes . . .

I do occasionally judge pet classes at fair and use the ARBA Standard of Condition as a guideline for these classes. The rabbits must have the appearance of excellent health and vigor, a bright eye, healthy coat and good flesh (not too thin/bony and not too fat).

The rabbit must also be very clean, have clipped nails and no physical defects.

Personality also is a factor in the pet classes. I like to see personable rabbits that aren't aggressive and don't cower when you touch them.

Because pets are often mixes, body type, fur type and color are not considerations.

I would certainly like to see other people participating in the judging on this thread and sharingtheir impressions of the rabbits. You don't have to be a judge to evaluate a rabbit. I'll hold off a little on commenting on future photos, to give others a chance to share their impressions and play judge. ;)

Pam

"If I touch her she bows her head and sticks her rump up for petting"

Is she spayed? It sounds like she wants to be bred........

She is a very pretty girl. To me she looks like she is crossed with mini-lop.

Roger

Alrighty. I figured I'd give this a shot as I've been possibly considering showing my new american chinchilla does. I've not made a decision, but we'll see how they rack up here. Who knows - perhaps I'll be inspired to really show them.

I'm honestly not sure how they're supposed to be posed. I just kind of went with what I thought, so bear with me. I DO know that they'reNOT posed correctly, but I wasn't about to overly fuss with them since we're still at the bonding stages. Do you think we can still get an idea on how they rate despite the impoper pose?

This is Silver (Silvie). She is an american chinchilla doe - pedigreed and all.She was born on May 10, 2007 which makes her 8-9 months old. I know she's a bit under where she should be weight-wise as she needs to hit 10-pounds by February 10th to show as a senior doe. She's approximately 9-pounds now. I didn't measure her ears as she's still a bit sensitive and skittish since arriving last week, but, in my humble opinion, she sure is a looker! What do you think?!

HPIM1826.jpg

HPIM1828.jpg

HPIM1829.jpg

And, this is Lennox. She, too, is an american chinchilla doe with pedigree. She was also born on May 10, 2007, but not from the same litter as Silvie. She is under weight as well at only roughly 8.25-pounds. She's much more skittish than Silver and, again, I didn't fuss too much with the posing - maybe at another time. But I'd still like to know how they rate.

HPIM1830.jpg

HPIM1831.jpg

HPIM1832.jpg

And, just for kicks, here's a not-so-good pic of the color rings.

HPIM1834.jpg

How do you think they did?! Critique away.

<3 Alexah

Pam,

It would be easier for us to play judge if you could post a picture of an ideal rabbit in the breed folks are asking about.....

Peg

Most certainly Peg! The American Chin has commercial body type as explained below. It's very exciting that Alexah has posted photos of her Chins for us! The are a very rare, truly American breed and it would be a shame to see them disappear.

The breed was developed in the 1920's from the smaller Chinchilla breed (known as the Standard Chinchilla today). The Chinchilla rabbit fur industry was huge in the 1920's, and the American Chinchilla provided both a luxurious coat as well as desirable meat type.

Today's judging still reflects the importance of the American Chinchillas meat producing qualities by allotting general type as the single mostimportant consideration. However, the importance of the coat is also emphasized with the total combined points of fur and color slightly surpassing that of the rabbits type.

The coat of the American Chinchilla should resemble the real Chinchilla and have a luxurious rollback coat with clearly defined alternating bands of color. The intermediate band should be a very light pearl color - any brownish tinge is very undesirable.

Commercial body type:

Commercial.jpg

Rabbits with commercial type are considered to be the ideal meat type. They are medium in length, with depth equaling width and showing roundness of body. This group is posed down on the table. Included in this group are: New Zealand, Californian, Creme d'Argent, Champagne d'Argent, Hotot, French Angora, Giant Angora, Satin Angora, Cinnamon, American Chinchilla, French Lop, Harlequin, Palomino, Rex, American Sable, Satin, Silver Fox and Silver Marten.

I'll make some comments on the rabbits themselves when I have more time later, and when hopefully, others have shared some of their thoughts ;)

Pam

Ok - this is my guess....

Both rabbits look longer in the third picture of their section than they do in the first picture. I was going to say that they're both too long (when compared to the photo Pam shared). But in their first photos - I think those are closer to the poses we need...they don't look as long.

My guess is (and watch me be way way off here) - Lennox would do better than Silvie on the table. I say that because she seems to have more of an "arch" or roundness to her topline whereby Silvie is more straight along the topline. However, Silvie seems to have more depth to her than Lennox does.

Which leads me to say - I have no idea how I'd judge them!

I lean more towards Lennox though because of the topline vs. Silvie....

Peg

pamnock wrote:
Personality also is a factor in the pet classes. I like to see personable rabbits that aren't aggressive and don't cower when you touch them.

That don't cower down? Really? Mocha does the 'floor smush' when I pet him but that's just his "oh man I'm in heaven" behaviour. Definitely not a personality flaw, Mocha is one of the friendliest rabbits ever.

I'm curious what you think about Reese. I know that the breeder I got her from said she got very good comments on the table as far as being well typed for a tri-colored doe. But she is torted.

rsz_DSCF1041.jpg

unotag.jpg

unotag2.jpg

I knw that some of the lionhead show rabbits that have done well on the tables have been....not so much the perfect rabbit for body type - but they "played" to the audience by flirting with the judge or interacting with the judge. Sure - they'll pose and look good -but some of them almost seem to "strut" as if to say, "come here and look at me" and they just put on a good show for the crowd.

Its hard to explain but I've seen it and read about it....

That isn't to say that a rabbit with poor body type would win - but I'm saying that between two rabbits that have close to the same body type, mane, etc. ~ the rabbit that sits up and responds to the judge often seems to take the prize...

Peg

I don't know lops that well - but I can't resist this one.....partly 'cause I love Reese and want to steal her..

MyBabyBunnies wrote:

I love Reese's markings - the full butterfly on the nose....the pattern on the back. I just love her...

rsz_DSCF1041.jpg

I think this is a great picture for her posing...did you take it or did her breeder? I ask 'cause of the background.

Ok - to me - she looks long in body here - I know nothing about crowns and stuff except to me it doesn't look quite right. I can't explain it - almost like it goes back too far? Then again - I don't know lops that well. But to me her body seems a bit long - right around the shoulder area. I also am not sure how a lop's back end is supposed to be - it looks sort of like a sudden drop - not sure if it is supposed to be more of an angle or not. I actually like her rear end - but I don't know the standard. It is her shoulder and upper back area that makes me think she's too long.
unotag.jpg

I love the width in her face and in the front of he body. I like the bone density for her front legs...they look wide. I like her ear length (but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be for her breed).
unotag2.jpg
Now all I need to do is wait for Pam and the lop breeders to come along and prove how foolish my comments are! :shock: Should be interesting.

Peg

The breeder took those pictures, those were the ones she sent me before I even brought her home.

Reese does have a tendency to 'hold' her ears kinda back, I know what you mean. If she's relaxed, she holds them a lot more proper.

Oh and keep in mind that Reese is an old girl, the comments that she got on the tables were 4 years ago and tri's were extremely rare in this area and a new color being worked on here so that could very well add to it.

I know she is a little long, but comparing her to a lot of does I see on the tables around here, she is very similar.

I suspect the reason I got my Tiny for so cheap was that he was not show quality. But I'd love to hear comments on him.

First of all - what I suspect - that he is too long in the shoulders and not round enough for a mandolin type shape (I think I have the right instrument -I know it isn't a flute or a piano!!:biggrin2::biggrin2:) and that he is too small (about 14 pounds now that he is 3 years old).

Edited to add: He was younger in these photos - up to a year old maybe...he's now 3.

On a Flemish Giant, "Not show Quality" could refer to the wrong color toenail or stray white hairs on a black! His weight is good, anything over 13 lbs. is fine for a Senior Buck.

Tiny looks like he has anice head, excellent ears (LOVE the ears!), His rise looks good (wish I had a better photo of the profile, tough to see his high point...), I'd just say his shoulders look a little low and a little narrow, and his rise starts a little late.Better photos, (where he's not hiding behind his girlfriend!) would help....

(Oh yeah, and it is a mandolin shape! LOL! Good thing he's not supposed to look like a piano! :shock2:)

Do any of these show his profile/shape better?

BTW - I'm dying at his "hiding behind his girlfriend" - that is Tio - his evil step-brother...

Peg

BlueGiants wrote:
(Oh yeah, and it is a mandolin shape! LOL! Good thing he's not supposed to look like a piano! :shock2:)
When he got into the fruit loops the other day - I could swear he insisted that it was because he was supposed to look like a piano.......

I knew he was trying to pull one over on me...

TinysMom wrote:
BTW - I'm dying at his "hiding behind his girlfriend" - that is Tio - his evil step-brother...

Peg

:embarrassed:OOPS!!! So sorry! Being it was Tiny, I just assumed it was one of his paramours!

Yes, those photo's show him of much better. His head looks much better in them. (more masculine!)His rise is lacking and could be a little higher... But he's definately all boy! What alove! Nuthin' like a Flemish!

Back