Rate My Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
Now all I need to do is wait for Pam and the lop breeders to come along and prove how foolish my comments are! :shock: Should be interesting.

Peg
Great eye Peg!

Sure you don't want to be a Holland breeder?

I think you pretty much covered it Peg. Mocha's a fantastic rabbit. She does look a tad long in the shoulder. I think she's leaning forward a little, which may also be giving an impression of length. Note that her front leg is even with her ear rather than her eye.

Her crown is excellent and has excellent front to back width. Could be just a tad forward, but it's not detracting from the appearance of her head.

You are right on the moneyabout her bone - she's got nice thick, short bone and is very wide in the chest.

She rounds off rather well over the hindquarter - chopped hindquarters are a common fault, often seen in Hollands that pose too high. She does seem to lack a little fullness in the loin.

I'm quite impressed with her.

My only concern is that she appears to be a "torted tri" because she appears to be shaded on her nose rather than deep black. This is a DQ because it's 3 colors on awhitebase(black, orange, smokey gray), rather than the required black/orange on a white base.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
My only concern is that she appears to be a "torted tri" because she appears to be shaded on her nose rather than deep black. This is a DQ because it's 3 colors on awhitebase (black, orange, smokey gray), rather than the required black/orange on a white base.
Do you mean Reese?

She is torted, the breeders up here have been having a lot of problems with torted tri's -- there was a point in time where they were actually not being DQ'd for it because there were no 'clean' tri's so to speak around here. I've started to see more clean tri's lately.

Pam, here are some better shots of Mississippi; including some of just his face/ears

pictutes206.jpg

pictutes205.jpg

pictutes207.jpg

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
pamnock wrote:
My only concern is that she appears to be a "torted tri" because she appears to be shaded on her nose rather than deep black. This is a DQ because it's 3 colors on awhitebase (black, orange, smokey gray), rather than the required black/orange on a white base.
Do you mean Reese?

She is torted, the breeders up here have been having a lot of problems with torted tri's -- there was a point in time where they were actually not being DQ'd for it because there were no 'clean' tri's so to speak around here. I've started to see more clean tri's lately.

Opps! Yes, I meant Reese (not Mocha). Trisshould be agoutis. A lot of people are breeding in selfs when they should be using reds or "A" harlis, not "a", which gives the "torted" appearance.

Pam

:nicethread Really interesting to read through the comments.

I'm curious what you think of Sophie...

She's an almost 2 year old lionhead. I think her color is black otter, or silver marten? She has crimpy fur in her mane.

sophiegrace.jpg

sophielou.jpg

sophiedoo.jpg

Ohh I would really like to know what people think about my Lucas.
I just took these.. He is 12 weeks old right now.
280l8w1.jpg

1zqy91d.jpg

Alexah-Joy wrote:
Silvie
HPIM1826.jpg

HPIM1828.jpg

HPIM1829.jpg

And, this is Lennox.
HPIM1830.jpg

HPIM1831.jpg

HPIM1832.jpg

And, just for kicks, here's a not-so-good pic of the color rings.

HPIM1834.jpg

How do you think they did?! Critique away.

<3 Alexah

Very pretty girls. They may both be too fine in bone to get up to the proper weight. This can often be an issue with commercial breeds, especially lines with a small gene pool. I'm sure some breeders have address this issue and crossed some other breeds in.

HPIM1830.jpg

HPIM1832.jpg

Theseprobably the best poses out of them all. Her back feet are tucked a little too far forward and she's stretched out slightly too much in the front. Her front feet should be even with her eyes. A shot of the rear is also helpful.

The biggest body fault they each seem to have is lack of fullness over the hips, rather than being nicely rounded throughout the hindquarters.

Their surface color appears to be nice, but the rings lack good, cleardefinition and have a brown tinge (they're still rather young and may molt that out they may molt out of this).

They have good head and ears (no length requirements on the ears).

If your girls make senior weight and molt out into better ring color, they should get some good comments on the table.

Here's an article I did on Dwarf Hotots that has some photos of bodyfaults that apply to many other breeds:

http://www.midatlanticdwarfhotot.com/TheDwarfHotot1.pdf

Pam

Out of curiosity, how does Mocha stack up? Of all my rabbits, she appears closest in type to her breed. She's spayed, so no shows for this girl! She'd murder the other rabbits anyway. I'm pretty sure she's Polish, but she came from a pet store. It's a little hard to see in the pics but she is dark brown, not black. But she looks darker than the chocolate Polish I saw at an ARBA show. She weighs slightly over two pounds.

2f06.jpg

810d.jpg

100_4418a.jpg

Really? I always thought her head was more Polish, since it's wide but doesn't have the round cheeks like the show Nethies have. She is an adorable little diva, whatever she is!

She looks more like a Netherland. Does she have a soft, rollback coat? What is her color? I can't tell on the monitor if the color is chocolate, sable, or black. (Looks sable to me). If you're not sure, can you take a belly shot?

Polish also have finer bone than Netherlands.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
Now all I need to do is wait for Pam and the lop breeders to come along and prove how foolish my comments are! :shock: Should be interesting.

Peg
Great eye Peg!

Sure you don't want to be a Holland breeder?

I think you pretty much covered it Peg.
I'm in total shock Pam - and coming from you - those comments mean so much to me.....they really do.

Peg

I'll share my comments as a lionhead breeder (who doesn't show that much) and then watch Pam come in here and blow me away.

kellyjade wrote:
:nicethread Really interesting to read through the comments.

I'm curious what you think of Sophie...

She's an almost 2 year old lionhead. I think her color is black otter, or silver marten? She has crimpy fur in her mane.

sophiegrace.jpg

sophielou.jpg

sophiedoo.jpg

Strengths: For a two year old, she has a decent mane. From what I can tell, she also has the "break" between the front mane and the back of the body (Pam - I really wish you could clarify that so I could understand it - that is tough) . Her ears look a tad bit long - but they looked balanced with her body and overall look for size. They can be 3 1/2" long. I'm not seeing wool going up them - that is a good point.

I'm not fond of her for body type though. To me she looks long in body. Here is what I mean by that - if you go up and look at the picture of the lop we were discussing and see how little "space" shows between the lop's chest/stomach and the ground.

See how the body goes almost to the ground? What I was told when I started was that if you can see "sky" or "space" between the tummy and the ground like your rabbit - the rabbit is long in body.

In addition - it seems like from what I'm understanding - lionheads need to have wide legs/feet - like the holland up above. Your rabbit seems to have less bone density and finer bones.

I like your rabbit's head - but it is sort of the older style heads that were wedge shaped. The breed is developing and changing and I'm seeing them going to rounder head shapes and a different style ears.

This is a doe I bought in 2006 to get the "newer" style of face/head...even though she has a long body.

This is a girl I brought in this year - if you look at the shape of her head compared to your doe's head...maybe it will help?

I'm dying to hear Pam's comments. Overall, I don't think your doe would place well for body type and stuff - BUT - depending upon the competition she was up against and her personality (which is what I'm really seeing in the photo when I look at her) - she could possibly win in her class.

Peg

Bossman wrote:
Ohh I would really like to know what people think about my Lucas.
I just took these.. He is 12 weeks old right now.
280l8w1.jpg

1zqy91d.jpg

Wow! Lucas looks awesome! I love his wide, full, rounded ears (no trowels there LOL).

Pam

This week is hectic because I'mgetting ready for our state convention over this weekend.

I won't be online as much over this week, but keep posting away and practicing judging!

Peg - you certainly don't need me to add any thing to your great lioncomments!

I had contacted Arden a while ago for clarification on the break. The standard calls for a "distinct" break (must be clearly seen). Gail's standard also contains the term "distinct", and clearly states that lack of the distinct break is a DQ.

Pam

1Bert.jpg

This is Bert 6 week old Polish kit.
and this is his brother Bart.
Bart.jpg

What do you think of these 2 younguns?

naturestee wrote:
Out of curiosity, how does Mocha stack up? Of all my rabbits, she appears closest in type to her breed. She's spayed, so no shows for this girl! She'd murder the other rabbits anyway. I'm pretty sure she's Polish, but she came from a pet store. It's a little hard to see in the pics but she is dark brown, not black. But she looks darker than the chocolate Polish I saw at an ARBA show. She weighs slightly over two pounds.

2f06.jpg

810d.jpg

100_4418a.jpg

Mocha is a netherland a polish is much finer boned and has a pointier face ( well over here anyway) they tend to look quite skinny and hare like compared to a nethie

From the pictures she has a nice even coat which is very good and nice short ears ( nethies should hold their ears together on the show table and they should be no longer than 2" )

From the second picture (which is closer to the pose we would put them in) she looks a little long in the body (which can be common in does)

she has a nice head shape too as does tend to have a slightly pointier face than the bucks (generally) but it is nice.

The best way i was taught to look at a nethie is it should have a tennis ball head on a football shape body (um i mean soccer ball )

weight wise she is on the limit max show weight over here is 2.1lbs.

(now Pam can pick up all my faults lol) oh and fyi i am going by our brittish standards sorry i don't know the american ones

Lias_ark wrote:
1Bert.jpg

This is Bert 6 week old Polish kit.
and this is his brother Bart.
Bart.jpg

What do you think of these 2 younguns?

Hi i can't realy comment on your poles because they are so different from our standards over here i have put a pic of what ours look like so you can see the difference so you understand why lol i always think they look more hare like in their appearence but going on our standards the second one looks better to me than the first which looks more flat faced also the ears look better on the second one as in longer and thinner

rabbit_polish.jpg

I've never shown a rabbit so I'm sorry for the lack of good photos. Moose isn't very happy with me picking him up so I just have to work with him to get pictures :p.

He's 9 lbs. and his ears are 24+ inches. He is almost 2 years old.

Picture034.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture028.jpg

The picture I'm using for my avatar is a better picture of his ears but it's a small picture (it's the person I got him from sent me).

Back