Rate My Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darfi

Reaction score
Just thought this could be fun since some of ushomebodies don't ever get to show our rabbits in competition. Would the site's real judges and breeders lend a judement to those who post info and a picture of thier rabbits? I don't know what all the criteria is for judging but this could be plain fun.

I think it would be fun.

Not all good rabbits take good photos, and bad rabbits may look pretty darn good in a photo, so everyone would have torealize that it's just for fun and based on the photos presented.

There's a lot of people on the board who show, so I think you'll get a lot of participation from "judges".

Pam

Here's a page I did on posing Dwarf Hotots http://www.midatlanticdwarfhotot.com/posing.html

This type of pose applies to most breeds in general - this will help give "exhibitors" an idea of how to pose and photograph their rabbits.

Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarfs are posed similar to the Dwarf Hotot in photo "B".

Ooh great idea Darfi! I'll definitley post a picture when I get home from school and the eye dr (my sis broke her glasses! grr!) as I've been wanting to know what some judges/breeders think of my 5 month old E-lop's posing/ and "picture judging" i guess. lol

Emily

I'm glad this idea is getting such a good outcome! This may also spark interest in some to actually show thier rabbits and might also be a great reference point for those who are learning about it....like me!

Ok, I guess I'll be the first one! Hehe. Ok this is the first picture of Sippi actually "trying" to do his breed pose. He's getting better, and sorry for the ear-chop off, lol.

And....Critic Sippi!

Mississippi.jpg
Doing his breed pose.....

and the second one is of him just chilaxin', lol:

SavSippiWillowAutumn005.jpg

Go ahead, critic away!

Well Sippi is certainly off to a great start! You've done an excellent job posing. (Note the rear toes even with the hip joint and the front toes even with the eyes). Sippi isn't stretched out too far nor tucked too close together, and he's showing off his mandolin type nicely.

The younger EL can be difficult to pose because they are so curious and full of energy. They would much rather go exploring than sit still, so it's important to work with them from a young age.

His ears must be over 21 inches - they look like they have good substance and width.

He's got a very good head and appears to have good bone.

He's got good color and the preferred blanket pattern. (Although there are not many points on pattern/color). He should be molting into a better coat soon (from the baby coat to the correct flyback).

His mid-section appears to have very good depth, but the high-point of his topline appears to be too far forward (rather than over the center of the hip), and the depth of the mid-section doesn't carry through the hindquarters.

His biggest fault will probably be the lack of fullness over the hindquarters (common fault in the English Lops). In general, they need better hindquarters (fuller, firmer and rounder). He appears to be "chopped off" at the back of the hindquarters - note the line straight down from the rump as opposed to a rounded butt.

He certainly looks promising - can't wait to see him as a intermediate and a senior!

Looking forward to reading all the critiques ;) I think it will be fun for those wanting to learn more about rabbit judging.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Well Sippi is certainly off to a great start! You've done an excellent job posing. (Note the rear toes even with the hip joint and the front toes even with the eyes). Sippi isn't stretched out too far nor tucked too close together, and he's showing off his mandolin type nicely.
Thanks! I am so surprised that he's actually posed right, except for his ears!

The younger EL can be difficult to pose because they are so curious and full of energy. They would much rather go exploring than sit still, so it's important to work with them from a young age.
Tell me about it! lol. It was very difficult to get him still for this picture!

His ears must be over 21 inches - they look like they have good substance and width.
We measured them today, and we think they're about 21 inches...but we're not used to measuring so we could be wrong. I think his ears look kind of troweled shaped, but I'm not very sure.

He's got a very good head and appears to have good bone.
Hehe, same thing as his breeder says!

He's got good color and the preferred blanket pattern. (Although there are not many points on pattern/color). He should be molting into a better coat soon (from the baby coat to the correct flyback).
YES i've been waiting for his flyback to come in and I can't wait for it to get in, lol.

His mid-section appears to have very good depth, but the high-point of his topline appears to be too far forward (rather than over the center of the hip), and the depth of the mid-section doesn't carry through the hindquarters.
I agree!

His biggest fault will probably be the lack of fullness over the hindquarters (common fault in the English Lops). In general, they need better hindquarters (fuller, firmer and rounder). He appears to be "chopped off" at the back of the hindquarters - note the line straight down from the rump as opposed to a rounded butt.
I totally see what you mean.

He certainly looks promising - can't wait to see him as a intermediate and a senior!
Me either! lol. We're taking him to his first REAL show this Saturday! I'm hoping thejudge will think the same as you Pam, but all judges are different. I think I'm the onlyyouththat will be exhibitingan English Lop,but I'm hoping there's a few otherwise it won't be as much fun if he wins.
Pam,if there is only onebreed of bunny in it's class, does it automatically win BOBor any of the other things?
Pam I just had to add, thanks SO much for "picture judging" him. I will definitley know what to look for in him as he matures and as well in other English Lops, and I'll be able to point out faults on bunnies too. I really think I want to be a judge, what's the age limit, Pam? lol. Thanks SO much!

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Pam I just had to add, thanks SO much for "picture judging" him. I will definitley know what to look for in him as he matures and as well in other English Lops, and I'll be able to point out faults on bunnies too. I really think I want to be a judge, what's the age limit, Pam? lol. Thanks SO much!

:yeahthat: Great idea, and this is a great post, thanks Pam. :party0002:

Emily, I can't see your photos, not sure why not, but with the commentary, I'm dyin' to! Can you fix that? If you need to repost, you can just reply in this thread and I can edit them in, thanks!

sas :thanks:

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I fixed it. I think. (Can everybody see them now?)

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
pamnock wrote:
His ears must be over 21 inches - they look like they have good substance and width. We measured them today, and we think they're about 21 inches...but we're not used to measuring so we could be wrong. I think his ears look kind of troweled shaped, but I'm not very sure.

Use a yard stick, pull the ears out perpendicular to the head and measure the entire span of both ears from tip to tip. The ears will need to be stretched a little to get a good measurement. Trowel shaped ears narrow towards end of the ear - it's hard to tell from the photo how full the ends of his ears are.
Pam,if there is only onebreed of bunny in it's class, does it automatically win BOBor any of the other things? If he isn't DQ'd or given unworthy of an award, he would receive 1st in his class, BOV (Best of Variety for the broken variety), and BOB (Best of Breed) and is eligible to be put of for best 6 class and Best In Show. He would not be able to receive a leg for classes in his breed if there are not enough rabbits, but he would be eligible for a BIS leg.

No age requirement on a judge's license Emily. You do need to be an ARBA member for 3 years to apply for a registrar's license and you must be a registrar for 2 years before applying for judge's license. It's a rigorous process, so start studying now ;)

Pam

Thanks Pam. The reason for my asking that question is becuse of the show tomorrow, I think he'll be the only youth English Lop, but I have no clue. So I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'll let you all know how my bunnies did at the show.

When my camera works again, I'll more pictures of him posing, and will good pics of his ears.

Sweet. Ok yeah I'm not a member of the ARBA yet, so I guess it'll take me about 6 years or so! lol.

Emily

One of the biggest challenges for youth applying for their registrar's license is not only the ability to memorize breed info, but also the ability to handle large breeds. This can be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome, even for adults applying fortheir license.

Pam

So when I take a picture of Isis for the judging, what are the specs for measuring so I can do the measuring and include that with her photo?

(also, using photobucket.com I can't get the image to appear in posts with the HTML or the image code anymore, is there a fix for that?)

Darfi wrote:
So when I take a picture of Isis for the judging, what are the specs for measuring so I can do the measuring and include that with her photo?

(also, using photobucket.com I can't get the image to appear in posts with the HTML or the image code anymore, is there a fix for that?)
The measurements will be breed-specific but some good ones to consider are:

ear length & weight

It is really good to get the rabbit as close to a "show pose" as possible.

Peg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Darlandria/Rabbits/Isisbeaut2.jpg

Okay, I think this picture (same as my avatar) is the closest i'm gonna get in posing Isis. If I touch her she bows her head and sticks her rump up for petting and she hardly ever sits still for long unless she's settled in for some sun beams from the balcony door.

Isis is 9 months old, I guess that her weight is close to 4-4.5 pounds and her ear length is 12.5 cm (5 inches)

Judge away!

I've attached a photo for comparison purposes.

Isis is certainly onestunning lady! However, she's not show quality.

Her most obvious fault is the length of her body, especially over her shoulders. Hollands should be very short, compactand well rounded. Rabbits that are long in body are also long in bone (a very short, heavy bone is desired in Hollands). She does appear to be well rounded and full over the mid-section and hindquarters (from the angle of the photo). She may be slightly cow-hocked and lacking fullness in the lower hindquarter due to the "V" angle of the hind legs. (a common fault in Hollands).

She appears to have nice full cheeks, but is a little long in the head and lacks some curvature and fullness at the front of the head.

Her ears are rather long and her crown is "slipped" back (the ears should fall directly behind the eyes and be no longer than an inch below the jawline. Note the length and teaspoon shape of the ear in the comparison photo. She does appear to have the desired thick ears.

Her crown (the cartilage forming the base of the ears) lacks some fullness.

She'd also be faulted for her excessively large dewlap and hutch stain on her coat.

All her nails should be white (DQ for colored toenails, There should be no spots on her coat, nor any spots in her eyes).

4 lbs. is the top weight for Hollands.

Pam

hollands.jpg

Hmmm...Not to butt in or anything, but Pam, how can you tell about the fur? How does it look different? What age do they grow into their new fur? My bunny is4 1/2months, and she should have flyback fur. I didn't know it changed...I'd like it if she got fluffier though. :biggrin2:

Hazel, my bun's a mixie too...maybe just to check out a pose? lol, there should be a thread for 'most original mixie' or something. :p

Latest posts

Back