Rabbits in terrible conditions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happi Bun wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
Um, no, don't EVER contact PETA. They would be just as likely to try and take away Kherrmann's rabbits as the ones in the petstore. They don't think anyone should ever have/own any kind of pet whatsoever, no matter how well treated. Also, 98% of any animals that PETA "rescues" are pts without any attempt ever being made to find them homes.
I never understand how people get this idea. Why would they sell companion animal supplies directly on their website if this was so?

The same reason anyone else does, to make money. And I get this idea through paying attention to PETA's deeds, which speak far louder than words. You can go to PETA's own website, and read some of their opinions there. Here are some quotes from their own site:

“How can you justify the millions of dollars of property damage caused by the Animal Liberation Front (ALF)?”

Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are examples of movements in which people broke the law in order to answer to a higher morality. The ALF, which is simply the name adopted by people who act illegally in behalf of animal rights, breaks inanimate objects such as stereotaxic devices and decapitators in order to save lives. ALF members burn empty buildingsin which animals are tortured and killed.

The part that scares me the most in that one is the "break the law in order to answer to a higher morality" bit. Here is another, that says that people and animals are of the same importance:

“How can you justify spending your time helping animals when there are so many people who need help?”

There are very serious problems in the world that deserve our attention, and cruelty to animals is one of them. We should try to alleviate suffering wherever we can. Helping animals is not any more or less important than helping human beings—they are both important. Animal suffering and human suffering are interconnected.

All it takes is a very little research to know what PETA is really about. A couple ofother links of interest: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/23/EDG11DC9BK1.DTL http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm http://www.petakillsanimals.com/article_detail.cfm?article=134

Sorry to hijack a bit here, Kherrmann!

I already know of all that, I have done my research on PETA. :)It doesn't take much to hear about all the bad things they do. I also already mentioned in page 1 that I do not agree with many of their tactics and methods. I was just commenting on you stating that they would take away your companion animals. Since PETA is so obviously passionate about animal rights It doesn't make sense they would support having companion animals in good care just for money if they felt it was so wrong. Just my opinion.

Well, I personally feel that PETA is really good at hypocrisy on many levels, but that is kinda beside the point. I am jsut totally againstall AR people in any organization, so I tend to get a little rabid about the subject. :)

SOOOSKA wrote:
That's terrible, those poor babies. 

I disagree with you when you said  it would only help the store owner if you took one of the rabbits.  You would also be helping/saving at least one of those rabbits.

I got 3 of mine from Pet stores, I can honestly say that if someone with kids had got Wilbur & Jackie I'm sure they would have been let loose or taken to a shelter.  They are not friendly to humans.  Chris or I have to run around the bedroom just to catch them when we have to trim their nails.  I know alot of people on RO don't agree about getting bunnies from pet stores, but my thinking is they deserve a good life too.

Good luck tomorrow when you call the humaine society.

Susan:)

I have to agree with this statement even though I understand your logic, when i got Charlie she was this tini little thing with clouded eyes and a runny nose and wet poop, if someone else had say adopted her for their child I'm sure that they wouldn't have the proper vet care that she needed. Also Winston is from a pet store and he's a grumpy little bunny, i don't think many people would have been satisfied to have a bunny that hates people lol. Although he doesn't seem to mind me too much most of the time.

gentle giants wrote:
Sorry to hijack a bit here, Kherrmann!
It's OK. :) I hate PETA, too!

The only PETA I'm OK with are those bumper stickers... People Eating Tasty Animals... :biggrin2:

I am back in Wisconsin now, so I have to try and force myself to not think about those animals anymore. If we go back to Michigan, I don't think I can go in there. They probably have my picture behind the counter. I'm a hooligan!

kherrmann3 wrote:
If we go back to Michigan, I don't think I can go in there. They probably have my picture behind the counter. I'm a hooligan!
If yourhonest character makesyou a hooligan,then you ought be proud to be one. :biggrin2:

Revverress wrote:
You can always leave bad reviews on online reviews of the store. Here's one review site:

http://detroit.citysearch.com/review/5129551

It's not much, but if there's nothing else you can do, what can it hurt?

Here's also a page I found online that describes how two dogs were rescued from the store... absolutely disgusting. :(

http://www.caps-web.org/view_blog.php?blog_id=24
Not a bad idea.

Also, what if you contacted one (or more) local paper(s) to see if they might be interested in doing an expose, of sorts, on that store. Who knows? Maybe they'd want to write about several pet stores in the area, which would accomplish even more (for the sake of the animals). Just a thought.

Happi Bun wrote:
You're right, they probably wont get shut down. But if you can get those rabbits out of there then you will be making a huge difference in their lives. :)
Another thing....you can't buy all those particular rabbits from the store to save their lives. By doing that, you will make life hell for the rabbits that will be filling those open cages.

It is a chain. The selling of animals in pet stores will probably never die out because there are far too many people out there that are not educated enough to not buy from them.

It is a personal choice to buy or not to buy a pet from a pet store. Personally, I feel every animal deserves a loving home no matter where it came from. I also feel that buying from pet stores condemns the next pet that is taking that pets place.....BUT if you don't buy that pet...someone else will.

It is just a vicious cycle.

I agree. It just seems like people in that area don't seem to know how to properly take care of their animals. They are all fed the cheapest, crappy food around, and most animals never get any exercise time. Of the few people there that own dogs, no one ever walks them. It's sad.

EDIT: I went and wrote a review on that site. I doubt it will help, but it is worth a try.

Back