Rabbits in terrible conditions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Well, I'm on vacation over Christmas in Michigan with Will's family. We went to Gibraltar's, which is a giant indoor flea market. There is a pet store there, and I wanted to see if there was anything to buy my buns. There were a bunch of rabbits in terrible living conditions in there. Here are the things that I found wrong with this place...
- There were ten rabbits in six cages. Four in one, two in another, and the rest by themselves.
- The cage of two and all but one of the singles were housed in 20-30 gallon glass aquariums.
- The ones in hutches were what appeared to be two dwarf mixes and two flemmies in one, and a single REW dwarf in another.
- All were housed in pine.
- All of the litter was saturated with urine and feces.
- They were sitting in their own filth.
- The smell from the cages was enough to make me cover my nose.
- NO HAY whatsoever.
- The pellets that were in the food bowls were moistened with urine and had looked like they had been there for days. There was also feces in the bowls.
- All of the rabbit's eyes looked dull, like they had lost their zest for life.
- There were bugs in the cages. They looked like fruit flies flying around.
- I didn't see any coat/eye/nose problems, but they probably have urine scald or sore hocks.

I wanted to take them all home with me. I feel guilty for leaving them there. I can't help but feel terrible for these babies. I don't know what to do. I want to call the shop in and report them, but I don't know where I have to call. Who should I call? Would the humane society be the people to call? Who should I call? Help!

Unfortunately, it is in Michigan. I am trying to get a hold of the sheriff's department for that county to report it.

EDIT: I got a hold of the people at the sheriff's office. I am supposed to call the county humane society tomorrow. I plan on calling them.

Those bunnies were so sad looking. I would take one if I could. But, buying a rabbit from that store would only help the store. :(

That's terrible, those poor babies.

I disagree with you when you said it would only help the store owner if you took one of the rabbits. You would also be helping/saving at least one of those rabbits.

I got 3 of mine from Pet stores, I can honestly say that if someone with kids had got Wilbur & Jackie I'm sure they would have been let loose or taken to a shelter. They are not friendly to humans. Chris or I have to run around the bedroom just to catch them when we have to trim their nails. I know alot of people on RO don't agree about getting bunnies from pet stores, but my thinking is they deserve a good life too.

Good luck tomorrow when you call the humaine society.

Susan:)

Thank you, Susan. :)

I can't buy one, either, because I can't afford to spay/neuter a rabbit right now. I also can only have two rabbits at my apartment. I have Toby and Berry-Boo.

Once Berry-Boo finds her forever-home, I was going to adopt one. Not only is it more affordable, but they are in a shelter, waiting for a new chance.

Plus, I wanted to get Toby a friend. I would want him to get along with the other rabbit, and I don't want to take a crap-shoot that they would get along...

Maybe I will wind up getting one... I don't think so, because Will was standing there glaring at me. He was upset, too, but was getting upset at me for trying to pet the little guys and get them to show me a sign of life. He hates it when I stare at something that bothers me. He has to pick up the pieces.

One of the Vienna-marked buns had the coolest markings ever!

kherrmann3 wrote:
Thank you, Susan. :)

I can't buy one, either, because I can't afford to spay/neuter a rabbit right now. I also can only have two rabbits at my apartment. I have Toby and Berry-Boo.

Once Berry-Boo finds her forever-home, I was going to adopt one. Not only is it more affordable, but they are in a shelter, waiting for a new chance.

Plus, I wanted to get Toby a friend. I would want him to get along with the other rabbit, and I don't want to take a crap-shoot that they would get along...

Maybe I will wind up getting one... I don't think so, because Will was standing there glaring at me. He was upset, too, but was getting upset at me for trying to pet the little guys and get them to show me a sign of life. He hates it when I stare at something that bothers me. He has to pick up the pieces.

One of the Vienna-marked buns had the coolest markings ever!
If you go back, you should take pictures for evidence ;) I also want to see that Vienna marked bunny :p

Those poor bunnies. I sure hope the Humane society responds and helps those animals. I also hope that pet store gets a hard lesson. I despise animal cruelty.

Aww, oh my gosh those poor things :(. I didn't realize berry-boo was a foster! It would be so hard to not snatch one to take out of that situation.. but better to report them and then hopefully all will be helped, I would have a hard time not giving the seller some very strong words. Will sounds really sweet.

I reported a pet store once and called the humane society. They told me they would send someone out to look around the store. I think it is good you are going to call. Hopefully they will make the store owner clean up or shut them down.

Emily had a good idea-go back and take lots of pics, and take/send them to the humane society. It will help get their attention, and hopefully make them take action faster.

I will be going back tomorrow. Well, I am going to Gibraltar's tomorrow. I can take pictures. I am probably going to call the Humane Society right away in the morning, and go to Gibraltar's after that. I could kick myself for not taking pictures as evidence...

I have no idea if the one is considered a Vienna marked or not. It had zebra-like stripes on its back. I would want that one, but I would probably wind up taking one of the generic black ones, because they tend to have a hard time finding a home...

Why can't I have a house where I can have a bunny paradise? I wouldn't care being the crazy bunny lady. :)

That store sounds terrible, yes take pictures and i hope they shut that store down!

What county are you in, in Michigan? I know a friend of mine who volunteers at the Humane Society in Ingham county (in Lansing) and they DO take in bunnies (she just adopted a baby). I don't know, however, if the Humane Society has legal authority to just go in and rescue animals like that...maybe also call the county Animal Control office and see what they say...their officers are also deputies with the sheriff's dept. and they have authority to seize animals for sure.

Sorry that you had to see those poor bunnies like that...it breaks my heart to see such cruelty. I'd go back and take lots of digital pictures for evidence!

I honestly have no idea what county I am in right now. The store is in Macomb County. I don't know if that helps, but that's all I know lol

I was going to call them in a little bit. Probably after 9:00AM, if they're even open right then...

I went back and took some pictures today. They had already cleaned some of the cages, but others were still nasty. I think the police went in, but I don't think that anything is going to happen. Here are the babies that are there...

Newest addition: baby Lionhead. I wanted to steal that rabbit...

Flemish Giant babies.

One of the REW dwarf buns. You can get an idea of how big some of the cages are...

Here is one of the Vienna-marked dwarf buns.

Here is the cool marked one. No idea what it is marking-wise, but cool, none-the-less!

That's not good. Were the cops there while you were there?

Maybe find an animal shelter or something. They usually have animal investigators that will come and do something ;)

I know that Michigan has a great Humane Society (ASPCA; seen it on Animal Planet) but it's in Detroit...not sure how far you are from there.....?

Emily

The sheriff's office said that they said that they have been trying to get that store. They have had several complaints before, but every time they go investigate, they've cleaned everything up.

Also, the humane society said they can't help, it's animal control's area, not theirs. The animal control area is part of the sheriff's department.

The people from Animal Cops: Detroit only handle the Detroit & Hamtramck areas. We are too far North here.

When I tried talking to the cop, he had no idea what I was talking about. He was there for something else. He left the building, came back inside (while we resumed shopping), looked right at us, then went in the pet store again. I got a creepy vibe and told Will we should leave, FAST. We started leaving, and the cop came out of the store with the owner and they were looking around for something or someone. I have a feeling they were looking for me. I don't know if that's just my paranoia kicking in, but Will and I hi-tailed it out of there. We saw the cop in his car later, and it wasn't a marked squad car. I have no idea if he was a "real" cop or not. He had three teeth, too! What the crap?!

I hate to say this, but I don't think the people around here care. There are a lot of people with their animals housed outside still. You drive around and there are dogs in people's back yards.

Latest posts

Back