Rabbits in terrible conditions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those pictures of the rabbits in the glass tanks are stomach turning. :X Contact animal control if you haven't already. It might even be worth contacting PETA. While I don't agree with most of the things they do, many times they will take action when other people wont. Just a last resort idea.

Um, no, don't EVER contact PETA. They would be just as likely to try and take away Kherrmann's rabbits as the ones in the petstore. They don't think anyone should ever have/own any kind of pet whatsoever, no matter how well treated. Also, 98% of any animals that PETA "rescues" are pts without any attempt ever being made to find them homes.

^ THIS.

Holy lord, that poor little lionhead (although I must admit it is SO cute!) It looks like its in a bird cage >=(. And omg, those poor bunnies in tanks! Thats just so...so wrong beyond words.

I hope someone gets the bugger thats selling those poor rabbits.

gentle giants wrote:
Um, no, don't EVER contact PETA. They would be just as likely to try and take away Kherrmann's rabbits as the ones in the petstore. They don't think anyone should ever have/own any kind of pet whatsoever, no matter how well treated. Also, 98% of any animals that PETA "rescues" are pts without any attempt ever being made to find them homes.
I never understand how people get this idea. Why would they sell companion animal supplies directly on their website if this was so?

Call the Sheriff's Department and ask for the investigating officer. Or ask for animal control. You raised legitimate concerns. I would also call the local paper. Call the health department too.

Found this on the State of Michigan website about reporting pet stores:

Please contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture directly at (517) 373-1077 to file a complaint. Please have the name and location of the facility, as well as the time and date you were at the facility, if visited.

omg how horrible!!!! Hope something is able to be done soon for those poor babies

As far as PETA , i too have heard that Peta is against animal ownership. They think that no one should own any animals, dont know if this is one of those things where there are extremest to every group and the ones that let domesticated animals go free are the peta extremest or not?

Here's a quote I took from the PETA website:

"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world."

I found it in the faq section. Of course, it does have some moreat the top where it says they feel animals should never have been domesticated in the first place. I think there are some people who are affiliated with PETA that go to extreme tactics, such as confiscating and"releasing" pets. But, as with any group of people, Idon't think they represent the majority.They certainlydo get headlines, though, so they are more prominent than the people who quietly advocate for animal rights. I think it is likely that in some places these people find each other and form groups that go to extremes.

I don't belong to PETA, because I do disagree with some of the more extreme tactics, but I do support the overall idea of reducing animal suffering. I do know a couple people involved with PETA, but the most extreme thing they do in their lives is try not to buy products that are (unnecessarily) tested on animals, they don't eat meat, and don't wear leather of fur.

I am not trying to advocate *for* PETA here, I've already stated I'm not a member. But I don't think they'll automatically come into someone's home and take their pets.

I'm not really trying to start a discussion of pro vs. con PETA. Just my 2cents. :)

gentle giants wrote:
I won't have anything to do with PETA. Those people aren't right in the head.
I would contact an "animal welfare" group (which is not PETA - they are "animal rights"). I haven't found any near here. Being that the cop and the owner were looking for me, I can't go back *sheepish grin* I also wouldn't want to contact PETA, because I don't want Gibraltar's to get blown up. I still shop there, just not at the pet store.

pla725 wrote:
Call the Sheriff's Department and ask for the investigating officer. Or ask for animal control. You raised legitimate concerns. I would also call the local paper. Call the health department too.
I called the Sheriff's department. You only get a hold of the dispatch. They wouldn't help me out and let me know who was the investigating officer or connect me to him or anything. Sadly, Animal Control is part of the sheriff's office. They put the call through to Animal Control. No offense to the Michiganders on this site, but Michigan sucks. If you need something done, you would be better off doing it yourself.

Now that I think about it... I could have fit that lionhead in my pocket. And yes, it was in a bird cage.

I completely agree- there are extremes in every situation and the extremists are the ones who usually cause all the problems and don't get much solved.

I, personally, don't have a problem with PETA or other extreme AR activists as long as they aren't trying to force their opinion on me or saying what I do is wrong.

To each their own.

Take the pictures and go down to the animal control office and ask to speak to a animal officer or investigator in person.

Sounds like Michigan has a bad sheriff and animal control section.

We recently called animal control on our neighbour and they were here within the hour talking to them and giving them a fine. We can also call the Local SPCA and report things like bad petstores as they have their own animal cruelty investigators.

I got Rusty from a petstore here. He was about 6 months old and was in a 10 gallon tank. His feces were smeared all over the walls, no water, no pellets, no hay. He was in shavings thatlooked like they had been there for days so he had been sitting in his own poop and urine for god knows how long. My parents at the time were skeptical about getting a rabbit but once they saw him they said I could take him that instant.

I used to work for that petstore when it opened, and my friend and I cleaned those cages EVERY MORNING! New shavings, new dishes, new bottles, the walls were scrubbed with vinegar and water. Rabbits had to be in those large cages (so wewroteoff somany so that they couldnt be intanks)and each rabbit had at least 3 hours of running time since we had an empty room that we would put them in. Even the fish tanks were scrubbed with Q-tips in all the crevices that had algae in it. They were cleaned twice a day. Birds had new seeds, new water, new dishes, new newspaper, new perches and new toys. We cared about each of those animals. We never believed in working and selling pets to inexperience owners but we did believe that every animal deserves to have a better life. ( which is why we made our own thing that only her and I could sell them to anybody, and if we didn't see that they were "fit" to own a pet,(ie.didn't care about the animal, was impulse buying and inexperienced, etc. )said they couldnt buy it that day. They had to come back several times to make sure that thatwas the pet they wanted and they knew how to take proper care for it. And now we go in there often to check and see if everything is cleaned properly and animals have food, water and the bare necessities that we see that they need. If they don't we report them. And we check this chain of petstore all across Calgary so that we don't miss one unhappy animal.

It's horrible when people don't care about animals. They feel the same things we do and animals have more sensitive sense than us ( ie. fish feel more pain than we do, animals can hear better, etc.)

It just makes me so mad when ppl say it's just an animal. Yeah well you're just a primate aka another animal.

I don't think that they are going to ever to shut them down. They've been around since 1991, and the officer on the phone said that they've been trying to get them for awhile now. Every time they go in, everything is in order, or in the process of being in order. The officer was laughing and joking with the lady when they were talking. I don't think that animal control cares. *sigh*

You're right, they probably wont get shut down. But if you can get those rabbits out of there then you will be making a huge difference in their lives. :)

kherrmann3 wrote:
- All were housed in pine.
- All of the litter was saturated with urine and feces.
- They were sitting in their own filth.
- The smell from the cages was enough to make me cover my nose.
- NO HAY whatsoever.
- The pellets that were in the food bowls were moistened with urine and had looked like they had been there for days. There was also feces in the bowls.
- All of the rabbit's eyes looked dull, like they had lost their zest for life.
- There were bugs in the cages.
I feel both :Xand :tears2:for those rabbits. This is absolutely deplorable and inexcusable!
I'd feel exactly as you did upon seeing them: horrified and helpless--wanting to take them all home, knowing that I can't. But you've at least triedto offer them a voice, which I think is wonderful. :hug1

Jenk

Back