Rabbit made weird hard gel substance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imkathhh

Reaction score
Hey! ( first time posting on here too btw ) I woke up today to check in on my rabbit as usual and found some weird stuff in her cage. I can kinda tell one of them is poop but it’s still all mushed around. could it be diarrhea? The other thing is more clear/yellowish. It’s also a gel like consistency , but not liquid. I’ll attach a picture as well. 8D513B22-609F-42B2-B4E1-5685836D4782.jpeg

That does look like jelly poop and possibly brown diarrhea next to that. If you haven't been to the vet yet and/or your rabbits poop isn't back to being normal round fecal balls, but your rabbit is continuing to produce watery or pudding like diarrhea, and/or more jelly poop, please get your rabbit to the vet immediately to be seen as an emergency!

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
True diarrhea, where it's not just a one off occurrence of some minor small amount of wet poop and then the poop returns to normal round fecal balls, and/or there is the continued production of jelly poop, are both considered an emergency. True diarrhea often is an indicator of something called enterotoxemia, caused by the clostridium bacteria and can be fatal in a matter of hours. Treatment is cholestyramine, metronidazole, and fluids. The continued production of profuse amounts of a jelly substance with little to no real poop, can be an indication of epizootic rabbit enteropathy, another fatal illness. Though there is no known cure, administration of the tetracycline antibiotic, cholestyramine, and sub q/IV fluids could possibly help. Either way, both are critical illnesses that require immediate vet intervention to have any chance of the rabbit surviving.

Medirabbit (bacterial/mucoid enteritis)

If your rabbits poop has completely gone back to normal and your rabbit is acting completely normal, there is the possibility it was a one time minor upset and your rabbit will be ok. Think about anything new your bun ate that might have caused this GI upset and I would stop feeding that if so.

When in doubt whether your bun is ok or not, it's always best to get your rabbit checked by an experienced rabbit vet right away. And if possible, bring a sample of the abnormal poop with you for the vet to check.

Last edited:
TO THE VET STRAIGHT AWAY. That’s not normal poop for a rabbit and like @JBun said, YOUR RABBIT COULD DIE IN HOURS.

You know that stuff sorta looks like the gel from thoes asorbant puppy piddle pads.

Latest posts

Back