Rabbit having rapid mood shifts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0nnyb33

Reaction score
So for starters, I have a sensory processing disorder which comes in pretty heavy in this I guess questions?

Recently my rabbit Angel (rescued, spayed, was bonded before her friend passed in August of last year, was attempted to be bonded again with my second rabbit Apollo (neutered with splay leg) but due to his disability it didn't work out so now they live separately) has been seemingly finding out the things that set off that sensory processing disorder and doing it until I have a sensory meltdown and leave my room sobbing because I can't handle the sounds, and this was a daily thing then suddenly yesterday she was just sleeping, snuggling, and hanging out so peacefully. Now today I'm awoken by one of the biggest triggers she has found which is her digging at her litterbox and now I just don't know what to do we thought maybe she just wanted more attention and run time so all of yesterday we snuggled, she ran around my room, but then today she was back to being I guess almost manic and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this because I now can't even be in my own room, I can't sleep because she just digs at her litterbox. I just am exhausted and dont know how to help.

Here's some photos of how she was yesterday

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_204311609.jpg
    PXL_20220423_204311609.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220423_200329966.jpg
    PXL_20220423_200329966.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220423_200149555.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220423_200149555.MP.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220423_195316818.jpg
    PXL_20220423_195316818.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0
One way you can stop her from digging in her litter box is to put a screen overtop of the litter. This way she can't dig into that. If you normally put hay on top of her litter, you may be able to still put the hay on top of the mesh. But if she digs the hay also, then a hay rack with wide openings can be hung above her litter box.
1650827574194.jpeg

That said, it still sounds like she enjoys digging! Rather than completely deprive her of that natural rabbit behavior, perhaps you can setup a separate "dig box" in a separate area/room that she can have access to during certain times. This way you have more control over that potential trigger. Perhaps you can allow her in that area during certain times while you are elsewhere (so long as the area is safely rabbit-proofed). This way she gets to enjoy digging and you don't get bothered by it.

One way you can stop her from digging in her litter box is to put a screen overtop of the litter. This way she can't dig into that. If you normally put hay on top of her litter, you may be able to still put the hay on top of the mesh. But if she digs the hay also, then a hay rack with wide openings can be hung above her litter box.
View attachment 60340

That said, it still sounds like she enjoys digging! Rather than completely deprive her of that natural rabbit behavior, perhaps you can setup a separate "dig box" in a separate area/room that she can have access to during certain times. This way you have more control over that potential trigger. Perhaps you can allow her in that area during certain times while you are elsewhere (so long as the area is safely rabbit-proofed). This way she gets to enjoy digging and you don't get bothered by it.

I can't believe I've never thought of the mesh overtop! Its something a close friend of ours does too! We've thought of the dig box before but never had time to actually make it but summer projects are coming up that could be mine! Thank you so much :D

Latest posts

Back