Problem With Gender

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
So when we adopted Lewis the pet store employees checked him and said he was definately a boy. I've always thought this to be true. Now I have second guesses...a few minutes ago I looked at him again just because I was bored...well there's a bunny at the Ag Department that's a few months younger than Lewis and he already has very obvious testicles...Lewis does not...

Also when I checked his genital area,it wasn't round like Clark's but more of an oval shape with a bit of a point I suppose you can say. Also,Lewis has 6 very pronounced teats all in a row. He also has what looks to be a small dewlap. The thing that confuses me is(this habit has stopped)but he used to hump stuffed animals and there would be a clear sticky substance I had to wash off his toys afterwards.

So I'm really confused. Is my bunny Lewis or Lois?

(Also if you would like pictures just let me know but I've forgotten how to post them)

Pictures would be great, those would help a ton. Just click the paperclip above the post you are writing and the upload thing will pop up. :)

Hmm... I've had bunnies that don't have very obvious testicules. How old is he exactly?

The teats are confusing me. I know most male mammals have nipples but I'm not sure about buns.

Sorry,my description was very weird and unclear...it's just an awkward subject for me...

um here are the pictures:

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 1 (1).jpg

But...but the lady at the pet store...

...in all honesty our other rabbit was named Scarlet and they told us he was a she and we found otherwise...

...This is a serious case of cruel irony...

...I GOT HIS/HER GENDER WRONG SINCE APRIL!?!? I"M THE WORST MOTHER EVER!!!

But if Lewis...uh Lois is a doe why was 'she' humping and discharging and sticky clear liquid? Though given,that happened months ago and 'she' has since stopped humping...well this is going to take time getting used too...

One small suggestion. If those are cedar chips you are using for litter, it would be a very good idea to not use them any more. Cedar is probably one of the worst litters to use for rabbits, aside from cat litter. Ones that are safe for rabbits are paper and pine pellets, carefresh, kiln dried pine shavings, and aspen litter.

Oh yes it's Cedar,I hate the stuff too. I usually buy pine but they were all out and this was the last bag of bedding they had and the rabbits were in DESPERATE need of cage cleaning so I bought it out of necessity. Don't worry as soon as this bag I used up I'll be going back to pine. It's just between the choices I had to make the choice of poor bedding...yea...

So...I decided since there's less of a risk now that I'm aware that Lewis is a Lois...I decided to try and bond Lois and Clark(it doesn't feel the same!) So I went into the hallway(neutral territory for both of them)I brought along a broom and a metal gate. First I brough Lois out then Clark. At first I just let them smell each other through the bars of the gate and after a few minutes I(tentatively)removed the gate. To my surprise they just sat against each other. After awhile Clark started to hump her. Since he's been fixed I assumed it was for dominate purposes so I'd let it happen for a few seconds then pull him off. For the most part it went swimmingly. Though Lewis did get annoyed with the humping and pulled out a clump of Clark's fur(Which I immediately used the gate to separate them) but afterwards they went back to getting used to each other. Lois kept doing something odd though,she kept shoving her head underneath Clark's head. I'm also worried that Clark might not like her because after awhile he ignored her and went to me instead. :(

Yeah, that's a Lois I'd say. Good on not using much cedar, next time they don't have pine or aspen, consider corn cob, paper small animal bedding or going to another store. A feed store or Co-op would have pine pellets in large bags. Cedar can cause health problems as rabbits get older if they are around it too much.

I'm really mad at my sister!

First off,she really hates Clark. She thinks he's disgusting(even though he has wonderful litter habits) the reason is because he's not a dwarf and instead of cute markings he's completely black. Sometimes she even threatens to throw him outside to her dog! But that's not what made me mad today. I was bondig Lois and Clark and I had them in the hallway since it's neutral territory and things were going really well. But the part of the hallway they were in was in front of Jessica's bedroom door(she sleeps in the living room so she's never really in there)but she got mad any and grabbed both of them and flung them onto my bed! My bed is considered Clark's territory so he immediatly got more aggressive and bit at Lois so I had to separate them! Now I feel a little discouraged. Does this mean that Clark's never going to like Lois?

That is very frustrating!! It might be a little set-back, but it doesn't mean that they're never going to bond. Keep having sessions with them in the hallway, maybe try to do it when your sister isn't around if possible? Or try to explain to her why it's so important to only have them together in the hallway. Otherwise it's sounding positive, Lois putting her head down in front of Clarke is a show of dominance, as it's her demanding him to lick her. If you want to encourage him to, you can sometimes put a smear of something tasty on Lois's forehead and that might help. :)

Can you not get your parents involved with your sister's treatment of your rabbits. Rabbits should NOT be flung anywhere and could sustain serious injuries from such rough treatment. And I'm just hoping her threat to throw your bun to the dog, isn't in any way serious. Not only is it a horrible thing to be threatening to do, but to actually do such a thing is illegal and considered animal cruelty.

It's just a minor setback in bonding. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Can you not get your parents involved with your sister's treatment of your rabbits. Rabbits should NOT be flung anywhere and could sustain serious injuries from such rough treatment. And I'm just hoping her threat to throw your bun to the dog, isn't in any way serious. Not only is it a horrible thing to be threatening to do, but to actually do such a thing is illegal and considered animal cruelty.

It's just a minor setback in bonding. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Thank-you,but I'm still worried they might not bond. I'm sure her threats are just threats. Honestly,they aren't very good threats. I'm pretty sure the dog likes Clark more than she does. Clark's the only animal we have that's never been mean to the dog XD(cats will swat at him or scare him and Lois just doesn't like her privacy invaded) the dog even offered Clark his favorite toy once! Though when Clark tried to play with it Chance changed his mind and ran off with the toy :/

I'm going to try again later tonight...though I'll make sure it's some neutral territory. Maybe the bathtub?

Our breeder showed us Stewie's "equipment" when we picked him up and it sure didn't look like what your bun has, I agree with the others, congratulations...it's a Girl!

I also second the cedar chips being horrible for all small animals, very bad for their breathing. :(

Too late to edit, but I just read that the cedar was a temporary thing. That is good.

That sister of yours needs a good talking to, people who hurt or threaten to hurt defenseless animals are in need of some counsoling! If one of my kids ever threatened or actually did hurt one of my critters they would be in deep sh*t!!! Hurting a defenseless creature is just plain senseless, empathy is a very good thing.

I would think her threatening to throw them to the dog is just a turn of phrase out of frustration or to bug you (as siblings do). It would anger me if other people said it about my rabbit, but I'd be lying if on occasion I hadn't said to myself that I was going to kill Bandit for something that he'd done that was bad. But I only say it to get my frustration out, and then when I get to him I just give him lots of love and cuddles :D There is no way I could ever harm Bandit, or any animal for that matter, it's simply a way to vent frustration without doing any harm.

Latest posts

Back