Princess Got Attacked

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yield wrote:
this is why i hatteee dogs. :I i mean i like them, but they're such dumb animals, always on a killing spree. my dog got in my room and went after solara but i grabbed him by the harness and threw him (instant motherly reaction, i have to protect my baby!) and he's 53 lbs.. i had a crazy burst of strength to do that! i'm glad princess is okay :)
Seriously you guys! What is with the dog-hatred? My rabbit Lily is 100% fine and safe with our two big 50-pound dogs. She hops right up to the x-pen and sniffs noses with them. While there are some breeds (terriers, greyhounds, etc..) that probably shouldn't be unsupervised around a small animal, if there is a problem it's the owner's fault. Dogs are very smart creatures and almost any behavioral issue can be fixed with training. Would you tell someone that it's okay to shoot a rabbit, even just with a BB Gun? Why is it okay for a dog?

And for the person who said her father beat a dog - that is absolutely the most disgusting thing I've ever heard in my life. That is animal ABUSE. I don't care if the dog was terrorizing your rabbit. There are more humane ways to scare it off. Or just call the local law enforcement in your area and have the dog picked up and the owners fined. But please don't advocate the abuse and maiming of animals.

Hey, an animal tries to attack me or does attack one of my animals I will feel no remorse hurting said animal. Do you use anything to kill pest? They are animals the same as dogs, no diffrence.

I had a dog corner me in my rabbit barn, growling, snapping and lunging at me. I keep many protective items in my rabbitry, I grabbed a steel pipe. If you are telling me you would not defend yourself you are crazy. Maybe it is diffrent in the city but here in the sticks you do what you must.

In addition to humane issues, poisoning someone's pet or bludgeoning it can result in a lawsuit and other legal recourse. I do not suggest this at all. Almost all states and townships have leash laws as well as vicious and dangerous dog laws. I suggest calling animal control and the local PD and keeping on their case about it regardless of if it ruffles some feathers, as this is a significant problem. Perhaps if animal control comes a'knocking threatening to confiscate the dog, they'll confine it better.

I would also suggest making some kind of barrier to keep the dog from reaching through the bars. Simply putting chicken wire from the bottom of the pen to say, two feet or so up will keep the dog from reaching the rabbit through the fence. You could also put up a second barrier out of pannels.

It may also be wise to get a motion detector that makes a sound. They sell them for people to put on their front porch, but you could set it up outside of the rabbits. This way, if there is an intruding dog, you'll hear it before hearing something awful like a screaming bunny. A blast from a hose or water pistol, banging some pans together, etc. is typically enough to convince a dog to vacate.

Everyone has their own thoughts on this topic but the most important thing is that Princess is ok. Also keep in mind that irishbunny is from another country and their laws are very different than ours.

So please accept that not everyone will agree on how to handle this.

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject toWarnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatorytopics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs.animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

- 'advertising' or linking other forums or commercialventuresin posts (see Content Rulesfor advertising policies).

Back to the question at hand, since harming the dog itself is a morally ambiguous idea that we don't want to promote as it is possibly illegal depending on the laws where Grace lives, I think the best option is a double fence around the run, or constant supervision of the bunnies when they're in it. I know that if I had to keep my bunnies outside, I would put them behind two fences at least. That way the predators can't stick their noses through one fence and snap at them. Even if the bunny is in a hutch elevated off the ground, it would be best to have a fence around that. If you're not around to supervise, the bunny run should also be double-layer fenced.

I hope Princess is ok. A lot of times wildlife get a "degloving injury", in which the skin of the bunny gets separated from the underlying tissue but isn't actually torn off, like taking a glove off (but the glove is the skin) if that makes sense. Domestics who've been attacked by dogs and cats can get this too. It's because rabbit skin is so delicate. Just keep an eye out for bruising and redness.

If the dog is genuinely dangerous, which it sounds like due to its past attacks on chickens, etc, it would be silly for the people in the town to shun you. I don't know how people there act, but a dog that tears apart chickens in instants may also attack children, and you think they might be worried about that.

Guys, don't worry I won't get a gun and shoot him lol! Yup my Dad has hit him before, but it was while the dog was running around my garden killing our ducks. He was chasing him and hitting him in the butt with a brush, but even that wouldn't stop him. When he gets into a frenzy he can't stop. Eventually my Dad got rid of him, so it was either a few belts of a brush in the bum, or all our ducks being given a terrifying and painful death.

The owners need to keep him under control, because there are baby lambs in the fields now. The farmers around here will have no problem feeding him some poisoned meat, the guy who owns the fields around us has a gun and has no problem using it. (He warned us that if our dogs went into his field, he will have no problem shooting them, even if our dogs aren't going anywhere near his animals). The dog is lucky we aren't killing him lol!

I would never harm him or steal him, and dump him somewhere, how cruel. If he does get any of my animals though, my Dad is getting the dog warden up, without telling the owners. He is a lovely dog despite his craziness. My Mam asked the owner earlier could she please keep Rodger (dog) tied up, buy she said she can't because he keeps getting away.

Princess' hutch is very secure, she was out excercising when she got attacked in the run, just sucks now that we will have to go off and spend €50+ on wire to put around the run or they can't excercise, all because they won't keep their dog under control :(

Grrr.... any who, Princess is doing well still, hopefully her fur will start to grow back soon :(

I'll get pics to show you all

Some pics

This patch doesn't look too painful

4r3jhc.jpg

This one looks sorer, a little red

168bl7p.jpg

This one looks quite red

240xagw.jpg

She has more little patches, but these three are the worst.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
:O Poor girl! I personally would not have sympothy for the dog or his owner. I am suprized she did not have a heart attach!!!!! She was very lucky it looks like.

Well, personally I do have sympothy for the dog ~ no dog is born vicious, right?

But I do agree - I'm suprised she didn't have a heart attack!

& you are very lucky to still have her ;)
Thankfully she is doing okay!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Ooh, that looks worse than I imagined it would. I'm so glad that Princess is OK. It wouldn't hurt to put some Neosporin (antibiotic ointment-not sure what it's called where you are) on the red patches.

Yup he gave her a right doing, it was only a few seconds, thank God my Dad was outside :( Not sure what that would be, something like Savlon I think

Oh I just saw the thread. Poor Princess:( I'd be so mad.Would the owner of the dog be prepared to pay for all the chickens and ducks the dog rips apart? How about possible vet bills? Maybe that might pursuade him to keep his dog under control. If he really wanted to he should be able to chain the dog up. It's easier for him to let other people worry about how to keep his dog out. This makes me so mad:X

Sabine wrote:
Oh I just saw the thread. Poor Princess:( I'd be so mad.Would the owner of the dog be prepared to pay for all the chickens and ducks the dog rips apart? How about possible vet bills? Maybe that might pursuade him to keep his dog under control. If he really wanted to he should be able to chain the dog up. It's easier for him to let other people worry about how to keep his dog out. This makes me so mad:X

I know, I am so mad too, you should have seen me just after it happened! I rang my friend and was like ''Is your Ma home, can you tell her your dog is up here killing my rabbits?'' Sure the next day when the kids from that family were coming up here to play my Mam got a text saying ''Rodger followed the lads up to yer house, keep an eye out for him''. Why should we have to keep an eye out for their dog?

Oh, and I forgot this comment, it was about a year ago, more even, but one day the same Dog was up chasing our chickens and I said it to my friend and what she said back was ''Well he has been here longer then your family'', in other words, we moved in 5 years ago, but the Dog was there 6 years so he should be allowed go onto our property. How does that make sense?

I just hope he doesn't go on anyone elses land, or it will be the end of him for sure.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Sabine wrote:
I think Savlon is only antiseptic but not antibiotic
Do you know what triple antibiotic ointment is called in the UK?
I have never come across anything like it as an over the counter ointment but did some googling and it appears Neosporin is used as a product name in the UK as well. It seems to be not as widely available although the makers, Pfizer (Johnson&Johnson), have production plants in Ireland.

I didnt read this entire thread (just saying that to be honest) because it seemed to go on a bit of a tangent. I'm sure a lot of people have said this, but I would consider putting chicken wire on the inside of the run. It would be really cheap and the dog couldnt get his noes through. That might be a really easy solution to the problem.

Unfortunately dogs will hunt and owners will be irresponsible and do nothing to stop them. Sometimes its best just to take the fall yourself and be extra careful.

irishbunny wrote:
Guys, don't worry I won't get a gun and shoot him lol! Yup my Dad has hit him before, but it was while the dog was running around my garden killing our ducks. He was chasing him and hitting him in the butt with a brush, but even that wouldn't stop him. When he gets into a frenzy he can't stop. Eventually my Dad got rid of him, so it was either a few belts of a brush in the bum, or all our ducks being given a terrifying and painful death.

The owners need to keep him under control, because there are baby lambs in the fields now. The farmers around here will have no problem feeding him some poisoned meat, the guy who owns the fields around us has a gun and has no problem using it. (He warned us that if our dogs went into his field, he will have no problem shooting them, even if our dogs aren't going anywhere near his animals). The dog is lucky we aren't killing him lol!

I would never harm him or steal him, and dump him somewhere, how cruel. If he does get any of my animals though, my Dad is getting the dog warden up, without telling the owners. He is a lovely dog despite his craziness. My Mam asked the owner earlier could she please keep Rodger (dog) tied up, buy she said she can't because he keeps getting away.

Princess' hutch is very secure, she was out excercising when she got attacked in the run, just sucks now that we will have to go off and spend €50+ on wire to put around the run or they can't excercise, all because they won't keep their dog under control :(

Grrr.... any who, Princess is doing well still, hopefully her fur will start to grow back soon :(

I'll get pics to show you all
Earlier, you stated that your father beat the dog, not that he was trying to chase it off. To me, saying that someone beat an animal implies that the animal can't escape the abuse. And it IS abuse to hold down and animal and harm it. Chasing it of with a broom handle? Not so much. Context is everything.

I really don't think this is a dog issue as much as it is a crappy neighbor issue. Does it suck that you have to spend money to make your animals secure? Yep, it does. But you are the one who refuses to go about this is in the proper legal channels by reporting the neighbors and having the dog picked up. Even just the threat of calling animal control (or whatever they are called in Ireland) might be enough to convince them to find a better way to contain their dog.

IMO this girl isn't much of a friend if she's letting her family dog kill your ducks and chickens and attack your rabbit. But if you won't do anything to help solve the problem then it's not just her family's fault. At some point you also become accountable.

I just wanted to say that I am very sorry that your rabbit was injured and scared. I sincerely hope that she wasn't seriously harmed and that you can do everything possible to keep her safe in future. She deserves to exercise in her rabbit run without fear of animals trying to hurt or kill her.

I was also thinking that you could maybe chain up the dog yourself once he enters your land and then ring the neighbours and inform them that the dog is there to be collected. Maybe the "inconvenience" might spur them into action. Also presenting them with a bill for the damage they've done as they are legally responsible for the dog.
We recently put a dog that wouldn't leave our garden in a crate by the gate (with a bowl of water and a cuddly blanket) The young fellow who owned him tried to give us cheek but David threatened to bring him to the pound the next time he shows up and we haven't seen him since. I usually go through great length to find the owner of the dog and it so annoys me when that's not appreciated as I simply could have called the dog warden:X

Latest posts

Back