post fly strike surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteyzebunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My bunny got fly strike while we were away so we took her to the vet. She came home earlier today with the operation and antibiotics/fluids being a success. However she has little to no energy, is not eating drinking or moving. I'm sure this is still from the shock and stress of the surgery and the vets however I cant seem to find any post fly strike information on the internet and I am very worried. The vet gave me powdered emergency food and a syringe to feed her with if she won't eat but I don't know if I should wait longer till tomorrow morning to see if she will go get food for herself. Do you guys have any advice/experience with this? Any help would be amazing!

I dont have experience with fly strike but with any surgery a bunny goes through, its important that they get some take home pain meds, do you have any? maybe she's still in pain.

How long has it been since the surgery? I'd say at 6hrs, start giving the recovery food and observe :)

If the vet didn't give her IV or sub q fluids before sending her home, she could be dehydrated. If you can get her back to the vet easily, I would phone them and ask to bring her in for them to give her fluids. If that is too difficult and she is alert to take fluids by oral syringe, I would give her some electrolytes that also have sugar in it, like unflavored Pedialyte or even Gatorade. Syringing needs to be done slowly and carefully, and only if the rabbit is alert, or you risk the rabbit aspirating the fluid, which can cause pneumonia. If she isn't alert and is floppy, you need to get her back to the vet immediately.

After anesthesia and surgery, it can sometimes take to the next day for them to start eating again on their own. If it's been 24 hours since your rabbit last ate, then syringe feeding needs to be started. You should be able to get syringe feeding mix from your vet. Common one is Oxbow Critical Care for herbivores. A rabbit shouldn't go more than 24 hours without eating and drinking sufficient amounts. If your vet doesn't have a syringe feeding mix, your rabbits usual pellets can be soaked in warm water and made into a mush to be syringe fed. But you have to use a wide tip feeding syringe or it will clog.

Also after anesthesia, a rabbits body temperature usually drops. And a cold rabbit won't want to eat. So it's important to provide a rabbit safe heating pack for them to help keep warm. I will use a cotton sock filled with rice, heated in the microwave. But you do need to check it to make sure it isn't too hot and can burn them. A hot water bottle can work too, but it will need to be rewarmed more frequently or the cool water will chill the rabbit further.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

I reread your post and see you have the feeding mix. I would first make sure she's warm and if not, warm her up slowly and safely with warm pack. Then once she's warm, start with offering her rabbit safe leafy greens, preferably ones she is already used to eating. Leafy greens are usually the first thing my rabbits will eat after surgery.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
If she ate earlier today before her surgery, I would syringe some electrolytes but wait to syringe feed. If it's been 12 hours since the surgery and she last ate, I would then start syringe feeding, slowly and giving her time to swallow. If she hasn't eaten today, I would start syringe feeding after first warming her up and then giving electrolytes.

If she is floppy, not alert, and/or won't swallow, then you need to get her back to the vet.

If the vet didn't give her IV or sub q fluids before sending her home, she could be dehydrated. If you can get her back to the vet easily, I would phone them and ask to bring her in for them to give her fluids. If that is too difficult and she is alert to take fluids by oral syringe, I would give her some electrolytes that also have sugar in it, like unflavored Pedialyte or even Gatorade. Syringing needs to be done slowly and carefully, and only if the rabbit is alert, or you risk the rabbit aspirating the fluid, which can cause pneumonia. If she isn't alert and is floppy, you need to get her back to the vet immediately.

After anesthesia and surgery, it can sometimes take to the next day for them to start eating again on their own. If it's been 24 hours since your rabbit last ate, then syringe feeding needs to be started. You should be able to get syringe feeding mix from your vet. Common one is Oxbow Critical Care for herbivores. A rabbit shouldn't go more than 24 hours without eating and drinking sufficient amounts. If your vet doesn't have a syringe feeding mix, your rabbits usual pellets can be soaked in warm water and made into a mush to be syringe fed. But you have to use a wide tip feeding syringe or it will clog.

Also after anesthesia, a rabbits body temperature usually drops. And a cold rabbit won't want to eat. So it's important to provide a rabbit safe heating pack for them to help keep warm. I will use a cotton sock filled with rice, heated in the microwave. But you do need to check it to make sure it isn't too hot and can burn them. A hot water bottle can work too, but it will need to be rewarmed more frequently or the cool water will chill the rabbit further.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thank you so much for your reply! The vet put her on an IV with fluids while she was there and this morning I saw that she had peed. She is not herself in the sense that when I go downstairs she doesn't get to greet me, she just stayed laying down in the same position. However, she is alert and responsive. While cleaning her den out yesterday she did move around a bit before going back to the same position. However, when she is laying down its almost as if she is slightly leaning her head to the right, maybe I'm just paranoid and over observing everything (it could just be a comfortable position) The vet gave us pain medication and an antibiotic I believe to be syringed into her cheek for 7 days at 2 pm. However, I am a bit worried because we had tried using the syringe yesterday to feed her just a bit because we didn't want her going in GI stasis however she spat most of it out which I was not expecting. I am just hoping she won't do the same with the medication. I didn't know about the body temperature, I will see how she is and ill fll up a hot water bottle. Thank you so much!

I reread your post and see you have the feeding mix. I would first make sure she's warm and if not, warm her up slowly and safely with warm pack. Then once she's warm, start with offering her rabbit safe leafy greens, preferably ones she is already used to eating. Leafy greens are usually the first thing my rabbits will eat after surgery.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
If she ate earlier today before her surgery, I would syringe some electrolytes but wait to syringe feed. If it's been 12 hours since the surgery and she last ate, I would then start syringe feeding, slowly and giving her time to swallow. If she hasn't eaten today, I would start syringe feeding after first warming her up and then giving electrolytes.

If she is floppy, not alert, and/or won't swallow, then you need to get her back to the vet.
Thank you so much for the reply, I left out some of her favourite green last night but I'm not sure if my mom moved them or if she ate them I will have to check when she wakes up. I don't think I have any warm packs I will have to go check but we have hot water bottles and heatable plushies in the house would that work?

I dont have experience with fly strike but with any surgery a bunny goes through, its important that they get some take home pain meds, do you have any? maybe she's still in pain.

How long has it been since the surgery? I'd say at 6hrs, start giving the recovery food and observe :)
Thank you for your reply! The vet prescribed her pain relief medications and antibiotics I believe. I was instructed to start administrating them from 2 pm today as that is when the vet gave it to her yesterday

Thank you so much for the reply, I left out some of her favourite green last night but I'm not sure if my mom moved them or if she ate them I will have to check when she wakes up. I don't think I have any warm packs I will have to go check but we have hot water bottles and heatable plushies in the house would that work?

*update* She did eat them! It was not much but it is progress! I realised we have basil in the house which she loves so I gave her some and she ate two leaves from my hand, she is active responsive and eating! The only problem is that I'm not sure if she is drinking for herself or if she is just peeing out the fluids from yesterday?

The heatable plushies would probably stay warmer longer. You just have to be careful not to make them too hot, and as she becomes more active and feeling better, to make sure to remove it so she doesn't chew on it. To do a simple check of body temperature, I do it by feeling the ears. If the ears feel really cold, your rabbit's body temp is likely too cold, so you would want to provide the heated plushie set next to her to warm her up. Once she starts eating more and acting more normal, and/or tries to chew it, it can be removed.

That's great that she ate something. I would keep offering leafy greens then. If she will keep eating them than that will provide her with some food, and fluids as well. Especially if she won't swallow the feeding mix, then it would seem like leafy greens will be the best way to get food and fluids into her.

Do you know the name of the antibiotic and pain med that you'll be giving to her? Do you know how long ago it's been since the vet gave them to her?

The heatable plushies would probably stay warmer longer. You just have to be careful not to make them too hot, and as she becomes more active and feeling better, to make sure to remove it so she doesn't chew on it. To do a simple check of body temperature, I do it by feeling the ears. If the ears feel really cold, your rabbit's body temp is likely too cold, so you would want to provide the heated plushie set next to her to warm her up. Once she starts eating more and acting more normal, and/or tries to chew it, it can be removed.

That's great that she ate something. I would keep offering leafy greens then. If she will keep eating them than that will provide her with some food, and fluids as well. Especially if she won't swallow the feeding mix, then it would seem like leafy greens will be the best way to get food and fluids into her.

Do you know the name of the antibiotic and pain med that you'll be giving to her? Do you know how long ago it's been since the vet gave them to her?

The two things given to here were Lexicom and 20.000 × enrocare oral sol 25mg/ml 100ml per

Ok, so meloxicam and enrofloxacin. That's good. Though I'm surprised the vet is only having you give it once a day. Usually both are given every 12 hours, because rabbits metabolize medications faster. Maybe once you give the next dose of meloxicam/pain med, your bun will start feeling a lot better and will also eat better.

I really hope so! If she doesn't start drinking soon should I maybe use a syringe with water? I'm just worried that she doenst have much food/water in her system to take the medication

I would offer some leafy greens before giving the meds so she'll have some food in her stomach. Then give the meds, and after that if she didn't eat very many leafy greens, then yes, I would carefully syringe her some tepid water.

If she won't eat any more leafy greens, she needs food in her stomach with those meds. So you may need to try syringe feeding some recovery food again. You just want to make sure it's warm(not hot or cold) when you give it. Cold can affect her core body temp, and her desire to eat it as well. Too hot can burn her mouth/throat.

I would offer some leafy greens before giving the meds so she'll have some food in her stomach. Then give the meds, and after that if she didn't eat very many leafy greens, then yes, I would carefully syringe her some tepid water.

If she won't eat any more leafy greens, she needs food in her stomach with those meds. So you may need to try syringe feeding some recovery food again. You just want to make sure it's warm(not hot or cold) when you give it. Cold can affect her core body temp, and her desire to eat it as well. Too hot can burn her mouth/throat.

We have given her meds and given her the critical care food which she is still tolerating, We have also given her water through a syringe. However, she is showing no interest in food including veg now I just don't think she has an appetite. I called the vets and they said to continue with the critical care and see if she improves by 10/11 pm today if not to bring her to the vets. But I feel like she may improve tomorrow morning as she is more active. If I bring her to the emergency vet realistically what will they do to improve her situation?

I've had anesthesia cause nausea in a rabbit and he didn't start eating again for two days. Sometimes antibiotics can also result in nausea and lack of appetite too. In those cases, as long as the rabbit isn't developing pudding like or watery fecal diarrhea(not just mushy cecotropes), it's just a matter of keeping the rabbit fed with syringe feeds every 4 hours until the rabbit adjusts and starts eating again on their own.

As long as she is continuing to take syringe feeds and meds, isn't developing diarrhea, and she's staying alert and her condition isn't deteriorating with her seeming to get worse and/or stops taking syringe feeds, then I would just continue with the meds and syringe feeds. But if you aren't sure if she's doing ok with the syringe feeds or how her condition is, then it is definitely best to consult with your vet.

If you bring her to the vet, they can check her over and the wound over to make sure that's ok. They can also give sub q fluids in case she's become dehydrated. Though if her condition is much worse, there may be more that they need to do to try and save her.

I've had anesthesia cause nausea in a rabbit and he didn't start eating again for two days. Sometimes antibiotics can also result in nausea and lack of appetite too. In those cases, as long as the rabbit isn't developing pudding like or watery fecal diarrhea(not just mushy cecotropes), it's just a matter of keeping the rabbit fed with syringe feeds every 4 hours until the rabbit adjusts and starts eating again on their own.

As long as she is continuing to take syringe feeds and meds, isn't developing diarrhea, and she's staying alert and her condition isn't deteriorating with her seeming to get worse and/or stops taking syringe feeds, then I would just continue with the meds and syringe feeds. But if you aren't sure if she's doing ok with the syringe feeds or how her condition is, then it is definitely best to consult with your vet.

If you bring her to the vet, they can check her over and the wound over to make sure that's ok. They can also give sub q fluids in case she's become dehydrated. Though if her condition is much worse, there may be more that they need to do to try and save her.
I think you are right, I have noticed that she isn't in pain maybe abit of discomfort? But I don't think that the wound site is the problem. She still not eating normaly but she did eat the veggies I left over night. I went downstairs to give her some kale and she immediately took a piece. Fair enough it was only one but that's progress! I just hope she stars eating hay and normal pelleted food on her own soon

Hi guys just thought I should update you! White is acting like her normal goofy sassy self again which is great to see! Last night I belive she ate some hay and pellets! Im going to track it more thoroughly just to be sure! I just hope she starts eating normally again soon :) its the 5th day today so the recovery process has been quite slow. She still isn't drinking any water for her self though.

That's great to hear! I'm really glad she's pulled through and continues to improve.

Little update! The vet said she has spurs on her molars and that is probably why she isn't eating much of her pelleted food or hey since its probably abit painful for her. So we are taking her to get them shaved down tomorrow. However ill be away the day after and do will my parents so im super worried. A family friend will come by twice a day to check on her and leave her with food but I hate that I will be away for her recovery. We can't take her either as uts a no pets hotel we booked month in advance and couldn't predict something like this happening. She just got back to being her normal self and we need to take her back to the vet which im dreading since I hated seeing her that way she was so depressed and just not her self. I just feel really sorry for her and into if that there is the stress from the surgery. Even though its nothing major she still has to go under anethstesia and she isn't that young anymore! Im just abit worried its too soon from the previous surgery but I don't want her to be in pain either. Does anyone have experience with this so I know what to expect? Recovery time etc. I just want her to feel better again :(

Latest posts

Back