Poopie Butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimD wrote:
We are picking upcanned pumpkin, Pedialyte, and a syringe today, and will begin to forceliquids and fiber this afternoon if necessary.

Would suggest someone at home give her an inch of NutriCal today aswell. Not only will it help promote her appetite, hopefully,it has laxatone in it, as well as will boost her immunesystem.

Ask the vet about administering some powdered tetracycline(antibiotic). You can use 1 tsp. per gallon ofwater. It can be purchased a rabbit supply stores or feedstores generally.

Thoughts and prayers go out your way. :pray:

-Carolyn

About an hour ago S'more took another 1/2inchof Nutrical and drank some water. She pooped and it was abit soft, but at least she pooped.

JimD wrote:
Aboutan hour ago S'more took another 1/2 inchof Nutrical and dranksome water. She pooped and it was a bit soft, but at least shepooped.

That's certainly good news! At least it shows her system canstill get things through. Time for that canned pumpkin!

-Carolyn

In this situation, mix someAlfalfa hay in with the Timothy hay for S'more. UseAlfalfa hay as an appetite stimulant.This might encourage her to eat more hay to get hersystem moving. In normal situations, asmall pinch can be given as a treat. Getwell S'more, sending youour good thoughts and wishes.

Rainbows!

Carolyn wrote:
JimD wrote:
About an hour agoS'more took another 1/2 inchof Nutrical and drank some water.She pooped and it was a bit soft, but at least she pooped.

That's certainly good news! At least it shows her system canstill get things through. Time for that canned pumpkin!

-Carolyn
I should be home in an hour and then we'll start with the cannedpumpkin and Pedialyte. I'll also give her another 1/2 inch of Nutri-cal.

Thanks everybody. I sure am glad you're all here and I'm not going through this alone.

Buck would be proud!!

So how's our little girl doing today?

-Carolyn

We're taking her to the vet.

We've been able to force pumpkin, pedialyte, and Nutri-cal, But she doesn't seem to be improving.

She's not in distress, but I'd feel much better if we get her seen by the vet.

I called Banfield this morning and they said that I could bring her inand leave her. The vet will examine her and then call. I thought thiswas a better option than going in a 3pm and waiting. This way she willbe monitored by the nurses the entire time she is there. And it's at noextra cost.

We're off to the vet in a few minutes. I'll post an update later.

~Jim

:pray:

Will be thinking of you and await the good news that all went well.

-Carolyn

Just got back from dropping S'more at the vet. She's in very caring and capable hands.

Now comes the loooooong wait for the phone call. I hate this part.:(

Oh, Jim and Danielle. I just readthrough this post. I had no idea how serious Smore'scondition was. I'll say a prayer for her and y'all, too.

Laura

Im sure S'more will be just fine withall those caring hands at home and at the vet .... Jim, you said youcant find Oxbow within a resonable distance ... there are two placesnear me that carry it... Scuffy's pet center is in the PreaknessShopping center on hamburg turnpike in wayne.. it should only be about~20mins from you .. they always have oxbow pellets ... another place isFranklin lakes animal hospital where i take freddy n vicky..in franklinlakes ...they dont always have it so i would advisecallingbefore you take a trip over.. or you can order onlineatwww.oxbowhay.com........goodluckwith S'more!!

S’more has been taking 1 inch of Nutri-cal, canned pumpkin, andpedialyte daily (since Tuesday). She has been drinking about half ofher normal intake of water, but has really not eaten pellets or muchhay. She nibbles at the rolled oats that we put in with her pellets.Her system is still working as far as poops and peeing. Although it isin small amounts it is reasonable for her current intake. Her poopiebutt has improved and she was very active today during free time.

Yesterday we dropped S'more off at the vet around noon and theycalled us at around 2:30pm to let us know we could pick her up ataround 3pm.

S’more is a Dutch, spayed, and weighs6.9 lbs. She’s at least 2 years old and had at least one litter ofhealthy babies. She’s been with us for almost 1 ½ years.

The vet is suspecting that S’more has abacterial infection in her GI tract and it is causing othercomplications such as; unbalance of flora, gas, and a possiblefurblock. She said that the fact that her GI system is still working isgood and that we caught the problem at a very early stage.

She advised us to continue hometreatment of canned pumpkin, Pedialyte, and Nutri-cal. She alsosuggested we add fresh pineapple and papaya tablets.

At the office the vet examined her andgave her fluids via IV. They monitored her for about 2 hours. The vetsaid that she has some abdominal distention, but she isn’t in any pain.She palpitated her and didn’t find anything abnormal aside from somebloat as she had previously mentioned. She prescribed oral antibiotics(Trimethp/Sulfamthzl ?) , Benebac, and Laxatone. She called us at homea few hours after we picked up S’more to she how things were going. Shealso wanted to be sure we understood the diagnosis and treatment sheprescribed. She wants us to treat her and may add Simethicone to thetreatment on Friday if conditions do not improve. We have a follow-upscheduled for next Wednesday(7/27).

Smore pooped and peed in small amounts,after we got her home. We gave her meds and continued home treatments.Last thing she took was some canned pumpkin and Pedialyte at around12am.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7/21/05

Smore pooped and peed a small amountduring the night. She drank a little water, maybe an ounce. She nibbleda few rolled oats and hay, but it doesn’t look like she ate anypellets. Before I left for work she had pooped and peed again, still insmall amounts. I cleaned and changed her litter pan so we can continueto monitor her “output”.

Thanks for the update. I've been worried about you and yours.

Prayers continue.

:pray:

-Carolyn

I just got back from lunch and checking onS'more. She pooped and peed again....more poops than there have been!!She drank some water and nibbled some oats and hay, too.

I woke Danielle up and she gave her meds. She alsogave hersome pumpkin and Pedialyte. (Danielle just called me and wants to knowhow to get pumpkin off of the ceiling:shock:). She'll get some Nutri-cal when I get home and we'll see ifshe'll take some fresh pineapple, too.

I'll be picking up some simethicone on the way home. CVS has it inliquid form by the brand name of "Mylicon". 2cc's are recommended bymost resources. It's also suggested to mix it in with a dose ofPedialyte.

Here's what the Vancouver Rabbit Rescue had: "Go home andsyringe into your bunny 1cc if small and 2cc if medium or large. Ifyour bun allows it, gently massage his stomach (gently!). Wait an hourand offer the treat again. If the bunny still does not eat, repeat thedose. (The simethecone is completely harmless and if the rabbit is notsuffering from gas problems it will do no harm.) Wait 2 hours and thengive some more if she still does not eat.".......After this they recommend a vet visit to examinefor more serious conditions, but I've already been there and she'salready being treated.

I'm wondering how many doses and for how many days I should do the simethicone, though.

Back