Pools

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
Ok sorry I didn't know quite where to put this...

My girls loathe and despise being inside for anything. soooo it's getting hotter out and I don't want them baked while I am working on their new digs.
Can they have a small kiddie pool with a lil bit of water in it?

They are in the shade and have some concrete to lay on but I don't feel it is enough. And they always have fresh ice cold water being taken out to them.

Their run stays rather cool right now, but can I offer them the pool?

Rabbits generally don't like water, so a pool isn't necessary. ;) If you want them to stay cool, you can freeze water bottles and give them to the buns. They will lay up against them and that can keep them cool. ;)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Rabbits generally don't like water, so a pool isn't necessary. ;) If you want them to stay cool, you can freeze water bottles and give them to the buns. They will lay up against them and that can keep them cool. ;)

Emily
Lol no can do on the frozen bottles. They chew them up to bits and pieces in minutes lol.

Most of my buns like to play in water. Every so often I sprinkle them with water and they close their eyes and get lil bunny smiles on. they also don't mind bathes. and will sit in the water and stretch out some times.
(I think they think they're dogs or something lol) *they play fetch too*

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Emily
Lol no can do on the frozen bottles. They chew them up to bits and pieces in minutes lol.

Most of my buns like to play in water. Every so often I sprinkle them with water and they close their eyes and get lil bunny smiles on. they also don't mind bathes. and will sit in the water and stretch out some times.
(I think they think they're dogs or something lol) *they play fetch too*

Bathes aren't good for rabbits though. It ruins their fur, and makes their skin really dry if you use soap, etc.

I really would recommend finding another way of cooling them off other than water. ;)

What about a fan blowing towards their hutch? You could also go to your local hardware store and see if they have extra pieces of sheetrock which you could freeze and then give to the rabbits. Those are fine for them to tear/chew up, you'll just have to replace them every so often.

Emily

You can quirt cool water on their ears (don't get it in them), as that will help to cool them....just do that throughout the day if you are able to. I'm not sure what else can be done...other then cold water bottles and chilled marble tiles.

Naa I "bathe" them every so often so that if I NEED to bathe them, they won't freak out. Mostly they get to mosey around the tub for a few minutes, get a massage and then get sprayed and dried off (just like a bathe with soap, but I don't use it unless needed).

They don't like fans. I tried it already, and while they like a breeze from the wind, when I hook a fan up out there, they don't like it. (Even with it on the gentlest one) they just go to the far side.

It's a very open run. It's 18ft long (just remeausred I thought it was only 10 >_<)

undergunfire wrote:
You can quirt cool water on their ears (don't get it in them), as that will help to cool them....just do that throughout the day if you are able to. I'm not sure what else can be done...other then cold water bottles and chilled marble tiles.
How about a mister over half the cage?

You're not doing the ice bottles right if they chew them up. I used the same four 2-litre bottles for 4 months last year, and would have kept them for this year if we had room in the freezer. Ice bottles are good for rabbits.

For tiles, just go to a tile store and ask if you can have some extra square foot marble/ceramic tiles. Get three or four, keep them in the fridge and rotate them.

Also, if you have two storage containers that are the same((and the bunnies fit)), put ice in one and put the other one on top. It'll cool down the both containers, and my bunnies like to lay in them. Keeps them cool but without risking freezing them. :p

Pools really aren't good for them. It's not good for a rabbit to be immersed in water, even if they like it.

What kind of bottles are you using? Some bottles are made cheaply and thinly, and will be chewed up easily. Such as milk bottles, which burst when frozen anyway. And some small bottles are easier to chew up- I had little Gatorade bottles that my New Zealand doe liked to throw around, just because she could latch onto it.

Not really my area, but if they like a bit of water in a pool, I'd say great. :)

'Baths' aren't recommended because its so easy to cause skeletal injuries in the process. And most shampoos are not good for rabbits, their skin is so thin and they can be at least mildly toxic.

They are mostly 'air cooled' though, so the water probably won't do a lot to cool them down.

I wouldn't put a fan right on them, but a quiet one (that won't remind them of flying hawks and owls) that gets the air moving in the vicinity on a hot and still day is important, although moreso when they're in cages.

A shady run should be okay on its own, especially really close to vegetation and in a breezy area.

Lots of plants and even a hole in the ground with a box over it will help keep them cool seeing as the temperature will be cooler under the soil.

sas :bunnydance:

Mine love the tiles put in the freezer. You can even buy the bigger ceramic tiles meant for flooring and they work great for bunnies to lay on.

I would be nervous about a pool if they are unsupervised unless it was just a tiny thin layer of water in it. My fear is one slipping and injuring a back/leg and then being unable to move in a pool of water.

I'm not sure that just water will ruin their coat, but if you add soaps etc. then I'm sure it strips the oils etc.

Rabbits are generally very competent swimmers, like most mammals, but that doesn't necessarily mean they enjoy water; they will only voluntarily swim to evade a predator etc.

If my rabbits seem quite hot, I dab some cool water on their ears, along with giving them frozen water bottles etc. The blood is very close to the surface in their ears, so by dabbing water on them, and then evaporation causing heat loss, this sends the cooler blood round the body. I doubt it does huge amounts to cool the rabbit down, but every little bit helps against heatstroke etc.

If your rabbits do like water (which they might do, I'm sure there are some that do), I would put a towell or something on the floor of the paddling pool, so they cannot slip. I'm not sure there has been a child I know that hasn't slipped once in a paddling pool, so I would be wary of the buns too.
ETS- or a rubber mat! That's even better because it's heavy, so won't float, and won't suck up any water.

I don't think bathing your rabbits for no reason other than to get them used to it if ever there comes a time you need to bath them is a fantastic idea, purely for the fact that the shock of being immersed in water, and the risk of things such as pneumonia if not dried thoroughly etc. are not things you want to risk for no reason.
Most people here just give 'butt baths' if really needed, but try to cut off any poopy fur first.

Jen :)

jcottonl02 wrote:
I'm not sure that just water will ruin their coat, but if you add soaps etc. then I'm sure it strips the oils etc.

Rabbits are generally very competent swimmers, like most mammals, but that doesn't necessarily mean they enjoy water; they will only voluntarily swim to evade a predator etc.

If my rabbits seem quite hot, I dab some cool water on their ears, along with giving them frozen water bottles etc. The blood is very close to the surface in their ears, so by dabbing water on them, and then evaporation causing heat loss, this sends the cooler blood round the body. I doubt it does huge amounts to cool the rabbit down, but every little bit helps against heatstroke etc.

If your rabbits do like water (which they might do, I'm sure there are some that do), I would put a towell or something on the floor of the paddling pool, so they cannot slip. I'm not sure there has been a child I know that hasn't slipped once in a paddling pool, so I would be wary of the buns too.
ETS- or a rubber mat! That's even better because it's heavy, so won't float, and won't suck up any water.

I don't think bathing your rabbits for no reason other than to get them used to it if ever there comes a time you need to bath them is a fantastic idea, purely for the fact that the shock of being immersed in water, and the risk of things such as pneumonia if not dried thoroughly etc. are not things you want to risk for no reason.
Most people here just give 'butt baths' if really needed, but try to cut off any poopy fur first.

I wasn't planning on filling the pool, but having maybe an inch of water changed out a few times a day as needed. When I put a pool out for my dog I usually make sure that isn't slippery of slick in the bottom. Most of the time I put those shower gripper mats down. (I had a dog that wanted a pool of water outside all year round, but he was an old fella, so I started using those to help make sure he wouldn't slip).

Also for bath time, it's really more of a shower. I put about an inch of water in there (enough to cover the feet, so they get a nice soaking), then I spray the buns down with the shower head (the kinda with the hose) the buns stretch out, and close their eyes, and just lay there while I "wash them" (that is just me going through the movements of bath time, most of the time it is without soap, I only use that if they are covered in dirt or something.) Afterwards drain the water, turn off the water. "ring them out" (meaning just push off the water) then I thoroughly towel dry them, and then keep them in a nice cool but warm spot, until the bun stops primping themselves. then Back to their cage or even free time.

Everyone else has said it and I'll say it too - drenching your rabbits is not a good idea. There are plenty of bad consequences including death. It's obvious that you'll continue to do it, and they're your rabbits, but I had to throw my opinion out there that it's just a bad bad idea. You say you're doing it to get them used to it for the future, bu there's really no reason for a rabbit to ever need a full bath. Butt bath, sure, but not a full bath with water. They're not dogs - they're self cleaning and that's how nature intends them to be.

I don't see a problem with a pool with an inch or so of water, however.

I'm afraid that all I can do is second Laura's opinion on this.

While I understand that you are trying to get your rabbits used to the water, so if ever one day you need to bath them, I think you are doing it without the knowledge you need to make such a decision. I doubt you'll ever need to give you rabbits a full bath, so there really is no need to try and get them used to it:).

If you are describing their actions correctly then it seems as though they don't mind it at all emotionally, which is a great thing, but you don't know how it will affect them physically. Rabbits are SO much more prone to respiratory infections than we are. I believe (if my figures are correct) that humans can lose up to 80% of their lung function, and still survive fine, but rabbits can only lose up to 20% before it starts to affect them badly.

I'd just refrain from bathing them from now on (unless they need a butt bath) :) but I think the pool idea is a fine one- they can choose if they want to use it if they are hot, and will just be paddling, which shuld be okay.

I understand the point you are all trying to make.
But you don't know my buns lol.
They are MESSSSSSSY lol
They get totally dirty, like crunchy dirty in about a week or so, they love to dig, play in pee, and lay in their poo in the pen.

I don't know about you, but I don't like to pet pee and poo I like to pet the bunny.
(this is why I am working on hutches and such, to keep them OUT of the pee and poo.)

Ahhh no lol. Messy buns

Are they litter trained? This could really help your problem.

Jen

I think any housing situation that allows them to get so messy probably isn't ideal. Getting hutches would be a great idea and allow them to keep themselves clean as they should.

My boys are litter trained (except for the V lop.. Lately he has just been all over, because the girl he was with wasn't box trained)
Most of my girls are box trained, but they are in a dirt and grass run, that is 18ft 2 inches, x 4ft, they won't use the box out there

Back